“First looks are deceptive”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cannards Well

Cannards Well
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Schenectady, New York
“First looks are deceptive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We were travelling back from Glastonbury to London and ready to eat, we saw the pub and it looked a good place to stop. We went in and it was empty and didn't look too good. We decided to at least have a drink and look at the menu. Having decided to eat we sat down and the friendly waitress was right there to help us. We ordered the carvery and vegetable soup. The soup arrived - home made and very tasty. Then the main course arrived, a good amount of fresh cut turkey breast with Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes. The vegetables arrived on a separate platter, a mix of carrots, green beans, cauliflower cheese, parsnips, corn, peas, sweet potato and several others. All the food was excellent, all fresh and cooked as required, no frozen or left over food. There was more than enough food and some unfortunately had to be left as we were both full. The staff were friendly and as the pub started to get more people, the pub took on a good atmosphere, we must just have been a little early (4.45). Looking at what others were eating, the meals seemed to be consistent in quality and quantity. When the bill arrived we were shocked at how low the price was..... the soup, the main meals and drinks came to £25 for the two of us, I've paid more than the total for just a main course that was not as good as we got. We left full and happy to continue our journey. If I find myself back in the area, I will certainly call in again.

• Visited November 2013

Staines, United Kingdom
“Bit of A Shock”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We went to Cannards Well because of our Inn Keeper's recommendation as having a really nice steak and food. It was Thursday late afternoon and we were hoping to have an early dinner. First off, the bar/restaurant area was empty, except for a lady who we assumed was a guest of the hotel. The manager was friendly enough, but in the menu he provided, there was no mention of steak, having set my mind on it, I was a bit disappointed. I ended up ordering a burger instead. The presentation was nice, but that was the most horrible burger I have ever eaten :(. It didn't taste anything like a beef burger. There was a prominent vinegary taste which was not pleasant at all. We paid nearly £9 for it so I gritted my teeth, chewed and swallowed. It was a painful dinner for me. The Manager was also discussing money and issues about the guest of the hotel with a man whom we presume is the owner, but it was all within our earshot. The bar was pretty much empty save for 1 or 2 people who sauntered in and was clearly a regular, There was actually a couple who walked in while we were eating and walked straight out as soon as they saw what was inside. Maybe it was the time and the day of our visit. I am hoping that our case was an isolated one. But I'm afraid first impressions lasts, and we are definitely NOT coming back for the reasons stated earlier. :(

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Chie J
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
“Overpriced awful food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Landlord who knows everthing except how to speak to his customers - landlady who thinks she is above everyone and to cap it all the food was AWFUL - I've eaten basic fish and chips in many places but this was the worst ever A soggy mess!!! . Save your money and go next door much better service and the food is excellent.

Visited November 2013
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Great food served up with lovely presentation. Busy at weekends with most of the residents eating in.

Visited September 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Yum Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Went to Cannards a couple of times on my recent visit to the UK and WOW! What a lovely experience. The Sunday carvery was spectacular with plenty of meats and fresh veggies to choose from. My second visit was for dinner, and again not at all disappointed. The T-bone steak was to die for and the pate starter was delicious. On both occasions I had superb service and very friendly bar staff, the chef even came by the table to say hello and see how our meal was. Looking forward to eating at Cannards again in the future and would recomend it to anyone!