“Terrible service”

Price range: US$137 - US$137
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We last visited Charlton House when it was run by Mulberry. Now under the Bannatyne brand, we were disappointed with the changes.

We had afternoon tea on the terrace before I went to visit the spa. Despite my husband being sat at the table for a further hour, nobody removed the empty cups/offered him another drink/etc.

The restaurant is now a much more casual affair, though not cheap by any means. The food wasn't bad but the service was terrible. No-one seemed to have charge of our table, we saw at least 6 different staff, most of whom lacked direction. We waited over an hour between courses because our mains had been served to the wrong table - we had to point out the delay to the staff who became immediately defensive and offered a series of excuses before the reason was discovered. They made no attempt to right the wrong (another glass of wine for example would have eased the annoyance at waiting).
No-one refilled our water or topped up the wine. Staff avoided eye contact and were mostly absent from the room.
When settling the bill with the maître’d, we mentioned the problems with getting our food. His sarcastic reply was that "those responsible will be hunted down and punished" (verbatim) !! Not what we needed on a much looked forward to anniversary dinner.

Recent reviews had warned us that the service would be lacking, I wish we had read them and eaten elsewhere locally. It is a lovely hotel in nice grounds, but for the money there are better alternatives.

1  Thank AdcDgb

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Had Mother's Day lunch here and have to say the experience was not up to our expectations. Our table was booked for 1pm and, after waiting about twenty minutes for our drinks, we were shown to our table about 1.30pm. The bread and first course was acceptable but three of our party had beef for the main course and it was the rarest I have ever seen being served in a restaurant. It was also a very fatty cut of meat and my husband's was probably more fat than meat. My daughter's plate went back to the kitchen virtually untouched. The sweets were fine. In the restaurant, there was a dirty high chair behind our table which remained for the duration of our meal. The service was lacking in the fine detail of what I would expect from that type of restaurant. For example there were two occasions when the gentlemen were served first, our napkins were not placed on our laps, they were dropped, the waiter twice dropped ice on the floor when pouring water and left it there, and the same waiter also dropped a knife narrowly missing my daughters back with no word of apology. All small details I know but it does make a difference to your experience if the level of service is exceptional. We did complain after the meal about the beef and we accept that we should have said something at the table but we suffer from the very British habit of not wanting to cause a scene. The restaurant manager did listen to our complaint seriously and knocked some money off our bill which did go part way to compensating us for our disappointment. We would however be very hesitant about returning to this hotel in the future.

1  Thank Pepperpot888
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Four of us enjoyed a very relaxing three course lunch with drinks for under £140. The food was excellent quality and beautifully presented. We couldn't fault it and will definitely be back. I wish we had been able to stay and enjoy the spa also or event stay the night.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Good service , excellent food, very romantic setting loved the whole experience. Beautifully presented food.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

The whole place was very disappointing shame really we were looking forward to staying there it came up as 5 star well if that's five star the hotel I was at the week before the grand Brighton would be 25 star