“Great location for the airport.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Woolsington
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This hotel is ideal for an overnight stay before flying from Newcastle.The rooms are very spacious and the beds are massive and also very comfortable.The bathroom is also roomy with a decent sized bath in it.The staff were very polite in the reception and around the hotel.We had a meal in the restaurant which was very good and not too pricey.All in all good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Good Points: excellent service at reception; bedroom excellent very comfortable bed, excellent en-suite walk-in shower.

Bad Points: noise all night from air con we think from the corridor as we took our card out of elec point; breakfast very average black pudding raw on one side, service excellent. Were warned to get to breakfast early as hotel full. Maybe more seating in this case management?

Overall: paid £85 for room with breakfast which we thought excellent value.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Dear bombshell, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed the high standard of service our staff provide, and your Sweet Dreams bed! However I am sorry to read that your experience at breakfast was not as you expected. Your comments regarding the black pudding and the air conditioning in your room have been passed to the relevant departments for action. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Slow check in, despite being midnight and no one else there. Very good rooms, clean tidy and comfy beds and good bathrooms.
Shower configuration of rain shower or floating head set at stomach level is annoying to me. The beds moving is another of my hotel pet hates, am sure it's done for ease of cleaning but you arrange pillows to be able to sit and work with laptop but minute you actually lean back bed moves, pillows fall down back of bed and you end up flat out fighting with laptop! Thought it was me being pedantic but when I mentioned it to someone else they too have same problem!
But hey those two issues are really minor and in general the whole experience at this hotel is good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed on business for one night. Hotel has a modern feel, is well furnished and has good facilities. Room was clean and well equipped, and although the bathroom was small it had a great shower! Restaurant food was average. Overall, a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Great location and style. Rooms decorated beautifully. Just a few niggles, some worse than others.

Bathrooms are cramped. Nothing the hotel can do about this but a big bug bear as obviously trying to cram as many rooms on each floor as possible to increase profits.

Car park is also poorly designed, was dirty with litter and dust blown in. Not a great 1st impression when I arrived.

Ordered room service which came promptly but the chips I had ordered were a bit burnt. If I was in the restaurant I would have sent them back. But from my room? No couldn't be bothered.

I'd like to say the breakfast was nice but due to me locking my key card in my room, I had to go to reception to get a new one and when I returned it didn't work. Clearly as the magnetic stripe had a huge scratch through the middle of it. Luckily rather than heading back to reception I collared a passing maid who let me in. By now I was really running late but probably had time to get a quick bite.

However with hilton insisting on providing "service with a smile" I had to que for breakfast and watch as the waitress asked every guest in front of me. "Room number, tea or coffee, will you be eating alone? Orange juice? Then setting off for a couple of minutes with each guest to sit them down. After 5 minutes and only 2 guests being seated I realised that I would not have time for the breakfast I had paid for on the room rate and left, hungry and thirsty with the Golden Arches calling.

My main advice for the hotel is to speed up breakfast. The majority of people staying are on business. We have places to get to. Ask if the guest is dining alone or with friends, then start walking them to their table and ask them their order on the way. I'm sure everyone the que could walk and talk at the same time.

Otherwise happy with the big telly, good choice of channels, free wifi.

May stay again, if only to see if the hotel has taken any notice of anything I have said.

• Stayed: April 2013
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Dear Morristheblackcat, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry to read that you encountered issues during your stay with us, particularly the service you experienced at breakfast. We endeavour to provide the best standard of customer service to our guests and anticipate their individual needs, so I must apologise that we did not deliver on this occasion. I sincerely hope that we can welcome you back in future so that you can experience the high level of service that we have come to be known for.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Probably the best hotel room I've stayed in so far. Offered warm cookie on arrival and wi-fi access code, although the web portal also allows you to sign in with room number and surname. Room well outfitted with large flatscreen TV, comfortable bed and best pillows in a hotel to date! Bathroom had a large shower with rainfall shower head and Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries.
Breakfast was average - to be fair it is hard to get good bacon in a buffet. However there was a large selection of pastries, fruit, cereal, yoghurt's and cold cuts.
Hotel is about 200m from the front of Newcastle airport, so well situated for those travelling by air. Surprisingly despite the close proximity, you could hardly hear the airport noise from inside the hotel.
There is also a small gym with a selection of CV equipment and some free weights.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We have stayed here twice this year the first time was prior to a flight to lanzarote in february. We were made very welcome when we checked in and the warm cookie on a cold night was appreciated. We made a reservation for dinner in the restaurant and had a lovely meal food and service were excellent and the staff friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable but the noise from the heating/air conditioning was horrendous and whatever we did to try and turn it off/down it made no difference so I bareley slept. We expected breakfast the next morning to be friendly with good service like the previous night but we were disappointed. the lady on duty as we went in was extremely unpleasant and made us feel as if we had no right to be there and the service from the other staff was not much better plates were not being cleared and it was not even busy. We were asked to fill out an online survey after our stay and made the point about breakfast. We were subsequently offered a free nights stay and took up the offer in march. Again the welcome was warm we booked in the restaurant again and service was good but unfortunatley my pork was undercooked, when we pointed this out it was dealt with straight away but it put a bit of a damper on things. Again the room was noisy for the same reason as last time. However breakfast was much better with the staff being far more welcoming and friendly and the tables being cleared even though this time they were very busy. It is nearly there but not quite!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolsington
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosfort...
#33 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
#7 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Jurys Inn Newcastle
Jurys Inn Newcastle
#24 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Sandman Signature Newcastle Hote...
#22 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Premier Inn Newcastle Airport Hotel
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#13 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport? Share your experiences!