“Great Hotel. Definitely will stay again”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Woolsington
Reviewed 1 January 2014

For a hotel right next to an airport runway and a main road which is very busy there was absolutely no noise heard from either in the room the sound proofing was so good. The food at breakfast and at dinner in Fratello's restaurant was excellent. Only negative was there was no housekeeping service on Christmas Day which I have not experienced in other Hilton hotels in other countries when staying there on Christmas Day

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (2,104)

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Nice hotel, lovely staff, especially want to complement Sanita, Elena and Jade, who tried their best to make me comfortable inspite of the challenges.
I had to change rooms 3 times during the 6 nights I was here. In the first room, the main switch plate wasn't operating, so I slept with the corridor light on all night. I was moved the following day to another room.
Air conditioning was too cold (I wonder why it's not equipped with heating in winter?) but there was nothing the staff could do as it was running on a programme no one seem to be able to figure out. So I didn't sleep very well in the (16 deg) cold room. My room was next to the housekeepers cleaning room, and I was woken early by noises from them getting their cleaning stuff.
I was moved to another room on my final night..after 5 nights of poor sleep.
I thought I would be able to sleep well on my last night, but to my dismay I was woken up at night by noisy guests who were shouting in the corridors at 2:30 am, it must be after a night out. I was surprised security didn't come up to stop this.

So overall my experience wasn't very good. Though I cannot fault the high level if service provided by the smiling staff.
Hope that it'll be better next time round. I'm giving it 3 stars as sleep is important to guests, and unfortunately it wasn't possible for me to rest well during my 6 nights here.

Room Tip: Ask for a warm room, and make sure you check all light switches are working when you check in.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 524Solo
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear 542Solo, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that despite the problems that you suffered during your stay, you found the staff to be helpful, friendly and accommodating. I would like to apologise for the difficulties you had and I hope that you will return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Me & my friend used this hotel to stay at whilst we had a night out up in Newcastle. we got this hotel at a discount of the internet for a double bedroom and it as very spacious. we thought that the sound of aircraft would keep us up or be noisy but we didn't hear 1 whilst there. upon arrival we were handed a home made cookie ( pretty sure was cookie) which was warm and had a few drinks in the bar. both women on reception were very helpful with anything we asked even with help of transport, plus very fast on requests for the room. we would defiantly recommend to any one considering this hotel and to try the pub round the corner not the classiest of places but lovely food and cheap. one thing I would suggest to this hotel though would be some different pillows I like mine a bit firmer than they have as my head just sunk into it n I wasn't very comfortable with that but other than that was a brilliant sleep :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stopped for one night before an early flight out on a "Dinner, Bed & Breakfast" deal.
Hotel itself, the bar the rooms and the restaurant are all very fine indeed - a nice hotel to stop in before a flight away.
My issue was the billing of the deal.
It should be simple.... it's bed and breakfast... and at this time of year, as it was explained to me, you either choose from the Christmas menu, or you get £20 per person off the A la Carte Menu.
Pre dinner drinks in the bar, then we chose the Christmas menu and a bottle of wine.
That meant that as the deal was prepaid, we should have a bill for the drinks in the bar and the wine in the restaurant, about £34
On check out my bill was £74. I had to explain that was incorrect and after a little discussion it was corrected.
Not an issue to fuss about you might think.... but we stayed on this deal A YEAR AGO and had the same problem.
Surely Hilton Hotels you can stop this happening?!
Gets the holiday off to a bad start when you need to worry if your bills correct

Room Tip: Despite the billing issue I'd recommend the Dinner, Bed & Breakfast deal
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Topbloke180
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here for two nights for the second time this year and it is my favourite hotel to stay in. The staff are excellent, the food and bar are of high quality at a reasonable price and the rooms are perfect and set a standard for four star service that few other hotels in the UK match. Even the hotel laundry service dry cleaned my jacket better than my local dry cleaners in London with the whole process being a breeze.

So why have I given it one star? Just after checking out I made a genuine inadvertent error of opening a can of Red Bull bought from outside the hotel while rushing to make a conference call and in the middle of the call the manager of the hotel charged over, interrupted the conference call at full volume (which could be heard by everyone on the call to the point where I had to leave the call) and remonstrated with me for drinking something bought outside the hotel. I don't have a problem with having my error pointed out as I was in the wrong, but the manner in which I was "told off" and particularly the fact that I had a conference call interrupted was, I believe, an extremely disrespectful way of handling the situation. His initial response to being told he had interrupted a call was "that is not my concern". There were many ways this could have been handled and this was absolutely appalling.

So yes, this is a great hotel in many ways, but if you make a mistake, do not expected to be given the benefit of the doubt and do not expect your business to be treated with the respect that the hotel expects from you. As a business guest who usually gives positive reviews, it saddens me that I have to give the hotel a one star review on this occasion.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
11  Thank GarethK95
Reviewed 28 December 2013

A very nice doubletree, brand new 1 minute walk from Newcastle airport. Stayed for only 2 nights on the way to Englands Lake district. Very cozy rooms with comfy beds (well thats Hiltons tradition). Staff polite. Did not have meals on site as just stayed overnight both times. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eugene K
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Finally a decent hotel at Newcastle airport. Me and my mum stopped here in December and had a lovely experience. Check in was great and we got a warm cookie. Our room was lovely - big, modern with great facilities. We dined in the on site Italian restaurant and the service and good were both excellent and the prices extremely reasonable. Will definitely be staying here again next time I fly from Newcastle.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolsington
Premier Inn Newcastle Airport Hotel
Staybridge Suites Newcastle
Staybridge Suites Newcastle
#1 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#13 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#11 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
#7 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne
6 mi away
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
Hampton By Hilton Newcastle
#14 of 83 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport? Share your experiences!