“Needs to improve a bit....”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Woolsington
Durham, United Kingdom
“Needs to improve a bit....”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Room 251 has a great view of the runway. The breakfast was so so; not piping hot but plentiful and well stocked. Staff were lovely and are a credit to the Hilton name. Room was fine, pillows and bed were great. Only problem was the tap in the bathroom sink was leaking and we had to put a face cloth round the tap as it was after 11pm when it happened. Got a great deal so pricewise I could not fault, but would be miffed if I had paid top whack. Bit annoyed that I had to pay a fiver to park at the hotel; I've paid for the room so why should I pay for the car to be parked up as well?

Room Tip: 251 is great for the runway
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Germany
Reviewed 4 January 2014

this is a great hotel for a reasonable price ... the staff is very kind and helpful ... the rooms are nice and clean and quiet ... the hotel was central to all the family and friends we wanted to visit ... and the Metro is just a few steps away

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was the second time I have stayed in this hotel, and as for the first time it was spurred by a flight at an antisocial hour. But it's a great place to stay by any standard, not just an air-travel necessity: it's a "proper" modern hotel with good service, well-lit and well-fitted rooms with comfortable beds, and a not-bad restaurant. For what you get, the price is good too, with no obvious premium for the airport (and metro) accessibility.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Andy B, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel so kindly. I am really pleased that you found our excellent facilities to be available at good value, and the service to be of a high standard. We are an excellent choice not just for using Newcastle airport but also for exploring Newcastle and the surrounding areas. I hope that you will return to us in the near future.
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough about this hotel. Our stay was for 5 days and although I was dubious about staying near the airport, my concerns were soon dismissed. The room we had was an excellent standard and clean with triple glazed windows and sound proofing wallpaper which meant we heard nothing from the airport whatsoever. There is an excellent gym which we used daily and the breakfast was fantastic whilst the staff throughout went out of their way to meet your every need. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel and we intend to use it now for our frequent trips back to the North East.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sunderland
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here a night before an early flight.
We arrived and check in was quick and easy. The rooms were nice and clean and very comfortable.
The restaurant downstairs was lovely. The food was of great quilts but a little pricey for what it was.
The wake up call was right on time for our early flight and check out was great.

Booked to stay again at the end of January before an early flight.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 January 2014

For a hotel right next to an airport runway and a main road which is very busy there was absolutely no noise heard from either in the room the sound proofing was so good. The food at breakfast and at dinner in Fratello's restaurant was excellent. Only negative was there was no housekeeping service on Christmas Day which I have not experienced in other Hilton hotels in other countries when staying there on Christmas Day

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Nice hotel, lovely staff, especially want to complement Sanita, Elena and Jade, who tried their best to make me comfortable inspite of the challenges.
I had to change rooms 3 times during the 6 nights I was here. In the first room, the main switch plate wasn't operating, so I slept with the corridor light on all night. I was moved the following day to another room.
Air conditioning was too cold (I wonder why it's not equipped with heating in winter?) but there was nothing the staff could do as it was running on a programme no one seem to be able to figure out. So I didn't sleep very well in the (16 deg) cold room. My room was next to the housekeepers cleaning room, and I was woken early by noises from them getting their cleaning stuff.
I was moved to another room on my final night..after 5 nights of poor sleep.
I thought I would be able to sleep well on my last night, but to my dismay I was woken up at night by noisy guests who were shouting in the corridors at 2:30 am, it must be after a night out. I was surprised security didn't come up to stop this.

So overall my experience wasn't very good. Though I cannot fault the high level if service provided by the smiling staff.
Hope that it'll be better next time round. I'm giving it 3 stars as sleep is important to guests, and unfortunately it wasn't possible for me to rest well during my 6 nights here.

Room Tip: Ask for a warm room, and make sure you check all light switches are working when you check in.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 524Solo
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear 542Solo, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that despite the problems that you suffered during your stay, you found the staff to be helpful, friendly and accommodating. I would like to apologise for the difficulties you had and I hope that you will return to the hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolsington
Novotel Newcastle Airport
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#16 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Britannia Hotel Newcastle Airport
Britannia Hotel Newcastle Airpor...
#69 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosfort...
#32 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport? Share your experiences!