“Good hotel to stay before early morning flight”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Woolsington
County Durham
“Good hotel to stay before early morning flight”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed for one night only at Doubletree Hilton, Newcastle prior to our early morning flight from Newcastle airport. The hotel is located on the airport site and our room overlooked the car parks and the front of the airport. The other bonus for us was that we used some Hilton Honours points to book the stay so it didn't cost us anything. The hotel is very clean and smart looking inside, upon check in we were given a warm welcome choc chip cookie which was a nice touch and also very tasty. The room is well equipped with a large window although this doesn't open and we heard very little noise from outside. There is also a large screen TV, tea/coffee making facilities etc. The only thing is that the room was very hot which has been touched upon by other reviewers and even when I switched the air con down this didn't seem to make much difference after a while so my sleep was disturbed because of this. We did visit Fratellos Italian restaurant at the hotel to have some food and the quality of this was very good and reasonably priced or certainly what I had expected to pay at a Hilton. We also visited the main bar for drinks when we arrived which again is quite a relaxing place to sit and chill out. All in all I enjoyed the visit albeit for one night only. I believe that the room rate itself is £100 per night normally so paying with Hilton points was certainly a benefit for us.

2 Thank Jaseace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here 3/5/2014 before flying the next day,,,Check in-very fast with a nice hot cookie,,Rooms-Very comfortable although slightly cramped however excellent sleep,,Gym-Enough equipment for a good work out,,Bar-Excellent choice of drinks and reasonably priced,,Restaurant-we were on dinner,b&b so was a limited set menu however we both paid the supplement for steak (lovely),,Breakfast-served in same restaurant bit rushed and chaotic though,,,My only gripe was noisy neighbours and had to complain twice ,,the 2nd time being told I was imagining it,,,so went to check out in morning ready to blow but £40 had already been knocked off the bill which I thought was excellent customer service.

Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hotel located near the airport. Metro station at the airport and 20 min trip to the city center.Good ,friendly and professional staff,nice gym and good meeting rooms.Access to the internet using hotel computers and printing devices Very good bar and Italian style restaurant.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The air conditioning is set to 28 degrees, when I reset it to 18 degrees (as low as it will go) it is fine for an hour or so, then once it hit the correct temp, the aircon turns off and the room heats up again. When the aircon turns back on it has forgotten my 18 degrees setting and trys making the room 28 degrees again. Also when I arrived the staff never told me where the breakfast was or what time, where the gym was etc. I was lost and made feel so stupid

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

7 Thank Lydia C
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Lydia C, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to read that you had issues with your air conditioning unit during your stay, please be assured that this problem is being looked into and will be rectified.

I am sorry to see that you did not receive information about the hotel amenities, I can assure you that this is not reflective of the level of service we are known to provide. I sincerely hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again the future.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Adequate hotel, very close (walking distance) to airport, so very convenient for travellers, and good value. My room was well appointed, but no possibility of opening a window, so I had to rely on air-con, which was OK, but I prefer fresh air. (I know there is a noise issue at an airport, but the window isn't very sound proof anyway!) The bathroom was bizarrely small, and the toilet placed so you felt very cramped. Shower was quite good, if lacking power. Towels were lovely and toiletries good. I would use again for convenience, but generally prefer in town locations.

1 Thank David W
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here (again) on business for 1 night, and booked, then cancelled then tried to rebook but the rates had gone up. Spoke to the hotel and they reinstated the booking at the old rate.

Arrived, found a space in the large car park and checked in. Cookie received (felt a BIT past it's best) and as it was a late change of booking got a standard room, free drink voucher, free breakfast voucher and free internet access code.

Within a couple of minutes of getting to my room, my free water, robe, slippers and upgraded toiletries were delivered to my room by a very polite lady from housekeeping.

Went to the bar and was disappointed to find no hand pumped beers (again) but had a quick drink and into Fratelli's restaurant. Had a VERY good Italian meal, the waitress was at the top of her game, attentive and pleasant, but not overbearing in any way. The food was superb, complimentary olives and bread, Bruschetta started and baked cod for main. Excellent, and not expensive.

A good night's sleep and down for a good cooked breakfast, with a wide range of hot and cold options, juices etc.

All in all a very good stay, this hotel might be a few pounds more then the newly opened budget hotels at the airport, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

1 Thank jetsettel
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear jetsettel, thank you for your kind review of our hotel. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and your meal in Fratello's restaurant. Our staff are highly trained to deliver quality service and our produce is fresh and locally sourced. I hope that you will book with us again very soon!
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Once again stayed here before early morning flight and can't really complain about too much.
Rooms were comfy and clean and experienced a good nights sleep.
Didn't rate the restaurant that much for our evening meal, expensive for the quality we were served.
Would stay again just for location for early morning flights.

1 Thank gorama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolsington
Novotel Newcastle Airport
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#16 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosfort...
#33 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Britannia Hotel Newcastle Airport
Britannia Hotel Newcastle Airpor...
#69 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport? Share your experiences!