“shocking stay!!!”

Best Western Salford Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abbots Salford
Reviewed 17 November 2013

we stayed at Salford Hall for a special occasion, looking forward to our stay and upgrading to a four poster......our visit just went from bad to totally diabolical! Firstly we were put in the wrong room..no four poster, once being moved,the ''four poster'' was a joke, the bathroom was fine...if you were 4'5....and my partner is 6'2''! we had afternoon tea booked and had to ask for milk, then at 5.30 the maintainance started drilling in the room next door, no courtesy call or apology until we complained. Our meal, once it arrived was just disgraceful...i had salmon with king prawn skewers...the prawns looked like something out of a joke shop and the salmon was so over cooked and dry it looked plastic!!! We ended up eating chips in our room as the staff were next to useless....so much for a special occasion!... we did receive a complementary bottle of sparkling wine, but asked to swap it for red as we dont drink sparkling. on this request we were told to sign for the red??? this ended up us having to go to reception where we were, to put a phrase to it...''ganged up on''! I for one felt very intimidated by FIVE members of staff!! I will be ringing the general manager tomorrow morning to complain officially, but after last nights attempts, I feel this will be fruitless. So, we will definately NOT be recommending Salford Hall or any Best Western Hotel to anyone...EVER!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lizdean
SalfordHall, Front Office Manager at Best Western Salford Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at 01386 871300.

Jessica Albrecht
Reservations & Reception
BEST WESTERN Salford Hall Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We went here on a deal and really couldn't complain. It's a beautiful old building in a beautiful area and Stratford is only a quarter of an hour away.
The breakfast was absolutely fine and our room was extremely warm. My one bit of advice would be to phone ahead and book a refurbished room though.
In some of the other reviews people have complained about the young staff - they were mostly young but were always polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Phone ahead and ask for a refurbished room. We had room 19 -really warm with a nice bathroom.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my elderly mum as a treat for her birthday for one night as part of the deal they had eith Warwick castle tickets and afternoon tea.
The hotel is everything you could wish for in terms of Tudor experience, open fires, beams, stairs winding and corridors snaking.
We asked for a twin room which is what we got but it was in the loft so very small but charming and the modern bathroom was sparkly. Beds comfy and good to have a modern tv.
The service from the reception staff really let us down though which is a great shame because the hotel was very quiet and didn't seem busy at all.
On arrival we weren't greeted or shown where to go even though i asked for directions to our room twice off the receptionist who made it quite obvious she wads't going to show us. There was plenty of staff so i found this very rude and unhelpful as the hotel is like a maze. My mum is 72, we both had cases and were left without any offer of help to climb the very narrow winding staircases on our own, this upset my mum as she struggled getting up the stairs and had to wait for me to do 2 journeys with the cases.
Afternoon tea is a complete misrepresentation as we got 2 triangles of sandwiches which were turkey and weren't asked if we were veggie, a tiny scone and cream and jam to share. This is not afternoon tea. We had to insist on having it in the dining room as they wanted to serve it in the tiny bar on coffee tables ?? This said the food was of good quality and the catering staff were good
Breakfast was good not buffet but thats ok for me.
A good hotel but such a shame that the reception staff were so indifferent towards us, not rude but it felt like we were in the way for them, maybe a customer service course for them because we really weren't made to feel welcome.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This was our second visit to Salford Hall and I have to say it was markedly better than the first (when pur experience was very poor). This time there seemed to a new team in charge and they made every effort to ensure that we had a good stay. Quiet comfortable room (good job we were fit though as it was on the very top floor - no lift in the old hall!). Breakfasts were OK. We had the midweek steak special on one night and that was excellent value for money. The hotel is in a very central location to explore this area and has the capacity to be exceptional, given its' setting, so hopefully when we use it again we can rate it higher.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms in the old hall are very quiet but you have to walk up as there are no lifts.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked a premium room for a short break in the Cotswolds. Prospective guests from outside the area should be aware that the hotel is situated a little way outside the Cotswolds, and that there is little of note in the immediate vicinity.

Guests should also be aware that there are in fact more rooms in the annexe ("Tudor Court", a range of converted outbuildings) than in the hotel building itself.

The only clue I could fathom as to why the room we were allocated might be classed as "premium" was the modern take on a four-poster bed - ie: a modern divan set within four bare posts. Neither the size of the room nor the standard facilities were anything special. The extremely unsupportive mattress did not exactly make for the best night's sleep.

The breakfast was good and the young staff - no-one anywhere appeared to be over 25 - were very pleasant and polite. So all in all, not bad - just not somewhere I would go again.

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Visually the building is lovely and the staff on arrival friendly. Our room was a 4 poster bed upgrade but really the only upgrade was the bed itself. Room was modest clean but only feature was bed. Bathroom appeared newly decorated but no 'luxury' features except for a water cascade tap.
The afternoon tea we had purchased was the only let down., a pot of tea, a mini scone, wafer thin fruit cake slice and a half a cheese sandwich. It was such a waste of money. We had to pop to local garage for snacks after.
Dinner was amazing. Food incredible, dining hall fabulous and staff extremely friendly.
Overall we loved our stay except for the afternoon tea. Would highly recommend

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Decided to treat my partner by taking her away and booked a four poster bed at this hotel. Checked in and was given my room. They asked me three times if I had a dog!! (which I didn't). Never did find out why they kept asking me. Then when we got to the room we found that there was no four poster bed. On asking at reception the duty manager came and said that they had given them all out but the room which we were in was better than the four poster rooms. Not the point!!. They didn't even offer a refund. Breakfast was a farce with no instruction as to the service. We had to help ourselves to the cold buffet and walk across the room with our tea and coffee which was an health and safety issue, I think the staff couldn't be bothered to serve anyone really as it was Sunday morning. Then after 20 minutes of waiting I collared a waitress and asked if we could order a breakfast. When it arrived it was small and not excitingly hot (ie; one of everything including the mushroom!). I then asked if I could have some brown sauce and got a sigh from the waitress (whom I later found out was the General Manager!), she then brought me '6' packs of sauce!!!!! The rooms were cold and dirty, it looked like the cleaners hoover around things only, and the floors were creeky so you heard every footstep above you. I thought dogs were not allowed in the main building but they turned a blind eye so you had them barking aswell. Not the best hotel I've ever stayed in!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbots Salford
#1 of 11 in Evesham
The Northwick Hotel
The Northwick Hotel
#5 of 11 in Evesham

Been to Best Western Salford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!