From the moment I arrived I felt welcome at Newforge House - the service offered by John and his team of charming staff is outstanding. Newforge is his childhood home and has been perfectly converted into a luxury B&B with restaurant. I loved the understated decor, in a uniform palette of yellow, gold, cream and white with hints of olive green throughout the hotel. Everything one could want was provided in my small but deliciously comfortable room, and the drawing room where drinks are served is another lovely place to relax. The staff did their best to make me feel at ease as a solo traveller among several groups and couples - I really appreciated little touches like being given a window table at dinner. There is very limited choice at dinner as this is really a private dining room rather than a restaurant, although one can invite non-resident friends for the meal, which is at a fixed time each evening, but John will cater for individual dietary requirements given sufficient notice. The food is absolutely delicious. Particular highlights were the melt-in-the-mouth shortbread provided in my room (with artisan tea and coffee), the home made bread, and the range of fruit salads and compote at breakfast, served with John's homemade granola, also delicious. Just two small quibbles - it's great to offer a non-greasy fry but mine was so dry it was almost difficult to eat - and the amuse bouche of granola with mango puree and yoghurt which arrived unexpectedly on my first morning was delicious, but similar to what I'd just eaten, and meant that I felt uncomfortably full after eating the kipper and poached egg that I'd already ordered. Can't finish without mentioning the gin menu! It was amazing, and I wished I could have stayed a week to sample more of them. Highly recommend the Shortcross, distilled in N Ireland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cradled in mature trees, gardens and fields, Newforge provides a unique opportunity to stay in the luxurious surroundings of a lovingly restored historic Georgian Country House. Original features have been retained, whilst modern bathrooms and excellent beds have been installed to ensure the ultimate in comfort. First class food is an important feature of our welcome. We source seasonal local produce and meals are carefully prepared by John, a trained chef. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Newforge House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Newforge House Hotel Magheralin
- Newforge House Magheralin, Northern Ireland