“A total treat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Magheralin
Presteigne, United Kingdom
“A total treat”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

From the moment I arrived I felt welcome at Newforge House - the service offered by John and his team of charming staff is outstanding. Newforge is his childhood home and has been perfectly converted into a luxury B&B with restaurant. I loved the understated decor, in a uniform palette of yellow, gold, cream and white with hints of olive green throughout the hotel. Everything one could want was provided in my small but deliciously comfortable room, and the drawing room where drinks are served is another lovely place to relax. The staff did their best to make me feel at ease as a solo traveller among several groups and couples - I really appreciated little touches like being given a window table at dinner. There is very limited choice at dinner as this is really a private dining room rather than a restaurant, although one can invite non-resident friends for the meal, which is at a fixed time each evening, but John will cater for individual dietary requirements given sufficient notice. The food is absolutely delicious. Particular highlights were the melt-in-the-mouth shortbread provided in my room (with artisan tea and coffee), the home made bread, and the range of fruit salads and compote at breakfast, served with John's homemade granola, also delicious. Just two small quibbles - it's great to offer a non-greasy fry but mine was so dry it was almost difficult to eat - and the amuse bouche of granola with mango puree and yoghurt which arrived unexpectedly on my first morning was delicious, but similar to what I'd just eaten, and meant that I felt uncomfortably full after eating the kipper and poached egg that I'd already ordered. Can't finish without mentioning the gin menu! It was amazing, and I wished I could have stayed a week to sample more of them. Highly recommend the Shortcross, distilled in N Ireland.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front probably have a nicer view and you may want to check that yours has a bath if you...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Clare S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The place, the people and the food: qudos! One of the 2 best experiences in my 2 week trip in Ireland (north and south). Food was superb; fresh ingredients, great taste and presentation. Real attentive service and lovely quiet setting, but close enough.

Room Tip: Ask for windows that really open up, not just an inch...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ElizabetK2013
Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay in July for one night with my husband meeting friends. Excellent food and breakfast with added peach purée, yogurt and granola. Truly delicious. John is a wonderful chef and staff are friendly and accommodating without being obtrusive. A little expensive but as a once a year treat it was well worth the visit. This was our 2nd year to stay. Can't fault it

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paula M
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We spent two nights in this beautiful house. Upon arrival we were greeted by both John and Louise who showed us to our room. We were in the Gaynor room on the second floor, which was perfect for myself and my wife as we normally spend very little time in any hotel room.

The breakfast is a perfect start to the day, plenty of selection to cover every taste and appetite. I would highly recommend the traditional Ulster breakfast as it's very filling and tasty!!

We had dinner on the second night in the house and just like breakfast I was very satisfied with all of it. The soup was perfect especially when accompanied with the homemade bread. I had the steak which was cooked to perfection and the lemon tart dessert was a perfect way to finish off the meal.

Overall, the stay was perfect and this was helped by the wonderful staff who always made sure that everything was exactly what we wanted.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael F
washington dc
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was our second stay at Newforge and it was perfect. We stayed in the Hanna room and I felt like a princess! The bed was so comfortable I almost didn't want to get up. The team John has put together are amazing. Nothing is too much trouble they are all so welcoming. John is not only a great host and an amazing chef he is just such a nice person with a wonderful sense of humor! There are not enough superlatives to describe the food. It was one of the best meals I have ever had in any country I have visited. It is no wonder John and Newforge have won so many awards. Thanks to everyone at Newforge House for the amazing stay and can't wait for our third stay!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great really like the Hanna room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MhaighEo
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I have visited Newforge House many times on business and each time is better than the last.
John and his superb team are the epitome of hospitable and the attention to detail is incredible.
The rooms are beautifully furnished and decorated with the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in.

Some of the best meals I have had were here. Wonderful locally sourced produce and Lou's homemade biscuits are a must!!
I miss my trips to Newforge having changed jobs and I need to find another reason to visit soon!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HazelH70
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Newforge House during a five day journey through Northern Ireland/Ireland. Scheduled to have a day in Belfast we wanted to find a nice place to stay outside the city. Newforge fit the bill and was absolutely lovely. The owner John (also the amazing chef!) set the right tone from the moment we called to enquire about a reservation. His relaxed and warm personality shone through immediately and we knew we had made the right choice to book with Newforge. Upon arrival we were greeted by Ashleigh and shown to a lovely room on the 3rd floor. The house has some lovely grounds, a quiet location, and beautiful CHICKENS! The house is wonderful, very comfortable and decorated beautifully. It is also lovely to think that John and his family have owned this home through many generations. Drinks were served at 8pm, followed by a delicious dinner where they even accomodated our 13 year old semi-vegetarian son's request. Our room was very comfortable and quiet. A very peaceful sleep can be had by all. Breakfast was incredibly filling (especially after the enormous dinner the night before) and the whole experience just lovely. Irish hospitality at it's best. Newforge House should be on your list of places to stay if you are in the Belfast area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magheralin
Bannville House Hotel
Clenaghans
#1 of 2 in Moira
Blackwell House
#1 of 2 in Scarva

Been to Newforge House? Share your experiences!