All reviews friendly locals the pub great atmosphere ordered drinks shared bathroom local produce ate here neck of the woods cooked breakfast bottled water a wee bit flat screen tv log fire locals and visitors bike ride fish and chips room was spacious
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We booked a family room for a much needed one night break. When we arrived we were a bit disappointed to find the bar absolutely heaving, and it never eased up. We ate in a dining room off the bar, which was OK, but it lacked the cozy character which we had been anticipating. Our room was tatty - sorry, I cannot understand how there are so many rave reviews if the other rooms are in a similar state. But we would have put up with all of this and been content, as the staff were very friendly and attentive. Sadly the residents' lounge (complete with the open fire we were all looking forward to collapsing beside) had been taken over for a private function and was not available.

Unfortunately there was a further serious sting in the tail for us. Unbeknown to us, our booking coincided with their Halloween Party, which took place in the bar, which was pretty well directly underneath our room, displaced by a couple of feet. Having been walking in the hills, the whole family was exhausted and retired to bed at 9.30pm, only to be woken at 10.00pm by the live band kicking off immediately below. This and the further loud music didn't stop until past 2.00am. Now, I don't have a problem with the hotel throwing a Halloween Party, but I think it's really sneaky to take the money for our room and give not one word of warning, or offer to move us to a quieter room. At check out I did actually complain (which doesn't come easily to me and doesn't happen often). The girl at check out was very apologetic. I asked to speak to the Manager, but he wasn't available, so I left a message asking him to get in touch with me urgently. The girl assured me he would. But he hasn't yet, and I've delayed 6 weeks to post this review in the hope that he would.

You can choose to ignore this review, because there are so many good ones of this place - that's why we booked. But if it was you who paid good money to, in effect, sleep in a club environment, and then got no recognition or care for your discomfort afterwards, you'd be as p'd off as me. My advice, don't book online, ring the hotel and get their assurance that there are no events going on to disrupt your stay. Only with this assurance should you book.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Mordrydd
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Had another very enjoyable stay here, room warm and comfortable, good food and relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Real ales and open fire very welcoming. A real home from home. Hopefully be back again soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I will most definitely go back if we are near Carrbridge again, we where staying at a self catering place a mile away and used this beautiful and very friendly pub for excellent evening meals and tried several of the excellent beers,
The service was very good and very friendly (just as it was when we stayed here 18 months ago) We had agreat holiday and to have a place like this to go to in the evening was the icing on the cake, also very friendly locals.
Thank you very much.
Reg & Lynn
PS our two dogs loved sitting in front of the blazing open fire
Bandit & Elly

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Was on a business trip, stopped overnight at the Cairn Hotel enroute to Inverness. Was warmly welcomed by staff, and immediately upgraded rooms with their compliments.
Room was lovely, bed was very comfy & had freeview, ensuite shower room etc. with lovely views.
Dinner was delicious, a tad expensive, BUT well worth it!! Spent the evening infront of a lovely fire, speaking to the really friendly locals & staff, it was like it was my local..!
Breakfast was served very quick from ordering, & was delicious.
would definitely recommend & will be more than happy to stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stopped here with my hubby and 2 children, en-route to Inverness. Definitely worth it - the welcome was warm, food delicous, service first-class and location just stunning. It's clearly a favourite with locals too, the bar was busy but everyone was very friendly. Kid's menu is made up of 'real food', no frozen rubbish or poor quality. Our kids polished off their meals and ours were top-notch - generous portions for well-priced options and plenty of choice too. The owner is a great host, obviously takes great pride in his hotel and rightly so. Totally recommend it, hope we will be back soon!

Date of stay: September 2012