“Wonderful Time in Scotland”
Review of The Old School

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carrbridge
The Old School
“Wonderful Time in Scotland”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We had a wonderful time in Scotland, made even better with our stay at the Old School. We were very close to excellent hiking trails and other places of interest, including Inverness and Loch Ness. The Old School was equipped with everything we needed and more, like the sauna! Close to Aviemore and shops too. A perfect week. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ulm, Germany
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Even before arriving at The Old School, I felt warmly welcomed by Kate's very kind emails and quick replies to my numerous questions. She suggested how to get to Carrbridge from Edinburgh (by train or even better by rental car), told me exactly how long it would take, and I found Duthil despite the lack of Satnav or map with the help of two smokers outside one of the hotels in the village.
I was amazed about the lovely "staffroom" in which I stayed all by myself - to be honest, I felt like a princess in her slightly oversized castle.
WiFi - which I needed as I was there reporting on the World Porridge Making Championships in which Kate took part, allowed me to accompany her during that exciting day and introduced me to lots of people - was excellent, the two TVs are rather huge, as is the bathtub in the new second bedroom which not least smelled so wonderfully. Great bed, all very clean, new, comfortable and cosy.
I went on beautiful autumn walks on Nairn beach and around several lochs in the Cairngorms, enjoyed bird-, duck-, reindeer- and squirrel-watching. My one-week-stay felt way too short, I didn't even find time to enjoy the hot tub, but it was altogether nothing short of: wunderbar!

Kate offered fresh eggs and home-made brownies on arrival and had left a few tabs for the dishwasher in the fully equipped kitchen but there was no washing powder when I arrived, so if you need to use the washing machine, remember to bring some. Likewise, pepper and salt were there, but no oil or vinegar, no tea bags or coffee. However, when I asked about the closest shop and it was too late to go there, Kate immediately offered me coffee and milk. She is a very welcoming host and soon felt like a friend. I love the fact that there are dogs, chicken and goats as well as robins in the beautiful garden around the Old School House.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The perfect place to come (home) to after a long journey up from London. On arrival we were welcomed by Kate and her amazing three dogs. We were very impressed by how crisp and clean everything was. We had everything we needed - a fully equipped kitchen, two bathrooms, free access to the WIFI, great beds and a very spacious living area. Beautifully decorated might I add! Kate and David's home cooked meals and home-made vodka shots were the icing on the cake. Our tip: Bring your swimsuit to make use of the sauna and stargaze in the outdoor jacuzzi. We've already booked our return stay... only three days after having left.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tanitaderuijt
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 October 2013

What a beautiful place this is! We had an amazing time here and the Miss Mackintosh Classroom exceeded all our expectations. It is pure luxury! We loved it all. There's a beautiful kitchen, which has everything you need (do bring your own cooking oil, sugar/salt/coffee/tea, etc, there's a Tesco in nearby Aviemore). There's a lovely cosy living area, with TV/DVD (which we didn't use), iPod docking station (very handy) and two big couches for relaxing. The bedrooms upstairs are big and comfy. We only used the double bedroom, because we were just the two of us. It was beautifully decorated and the bed was comfortable.

There are two nice big bathrooms, one with a shower and toilet (downstairs), and one with a shower/bath and toilet (upstairs).

Kate is very kind, and will help you with any questions you might have. On arrival she had made us brownies, which were honestly the best brownies I had ever tasted. Yum!! Thank you, Kate!

This place was all we could wish for, great for relaxing, but also great for exploring the highlands! No doubt recommended :)

Room Tip: Miss Mackintosh room has a nice view to the front of the building!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marlies84
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We spent last Christmas in Miss Mackintosh's classroom and it was perfect!!

The building itself is amazing and Kate has put so much effort into the decor!

From the moment we arrived we were uber impressed! Once inside it instantly felt like a home from home. we loved the spiral staircase and the christmas tree was gorgeous! Kate welcomed us with a fabulous home made chocolate log - lovely touch!

we stayed for the christmas week and it proved an excellent base to explore Aviemore and the local area. The christmas parade in Aviemore is a MUST and its soooooooo christmassy!

Kate came in on xmas day to wish us a merry christmas and came bearing gifts - home made vodka! Lethal but very nice!

although Kate lives next door its not obtrusive, you just feel like your at home for the week!

Would recommend to anyone wanting a cosy christmas away from home and excellent value for money! Looking to find somewhere for christmas this yer but struggling to see anywhere that compares!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MICHELLE K
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the Old School at the end of July for a week and had the most amazing family holiday. On arrival we were welcomed by Kate and her dogs (that our kids nearly took home!). The hospitality and friendliness shown to us during our whole stay was second to none, from the home baked (still warm!) peanut butter cookies on arrival and friendly chats advising us on on where to go and what to see.

Excellent central base to travel to Aviemore, Cairngorms and Inverness. Took a day at Landmark Adventure Park with our kids (aged 7 & 10) well worth a visit!

All in all would highly recommend this accommodation, the facilities are scrupulously clean and the location excellent - a fantastic week made even better with the excellent weather. David and Kate we will be back!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Leicestershire
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Time again for my annual review, after our 4th visit to this beautiful place.
Thanks again Kate and David for another memorable holiday. This time we stayed in Miss Mackintosh's classroom which is at the front of the house with a lovely view from the bedroom window. The addition of the Wi-Fi access was appreciated by the children, although they spent most of their time playing with Kate's very friendly Labradors. The hot-tub proved a great way to ease away the aches and pains after our canyoning/ gorge walking and hill-climbing activities and we used it every evening!
The Old School is immaculate, but at the same time is a really comfortable place to stay, with loads of space for luggage, and storage for bikes etc - I challenge you to find one speck of dirt!!
The eggs from the resident hens and freshly baked brownies on arrival are the icing on the cake, I would recommend a stay here to everyone, THANK YOU Kate!!

Room Tip: Miss Mackintosh's classroom is slightly smaller than Mrs Clarke's but still has a huge amoun...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrbridge
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
The Boat Hotel
The Boat Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boat of Garten
Macdonald Lochanhully Woodland Club

Been to The Old School? Share your experiences!