“As wonderful as ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old School

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carrbridge
The Old School
Leicestershire
“As wonderful as ever!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Another fabulous stay at The Old School, Kate treated us like VIP's for the whole week!! Spotlessly clean accommodation as always, loads of space to relax, chocolate brownie, eggs and a warm welcome waiting for us! The hot-tub was very inviting after a day in the hills, and we loved George, the new 'gardener', greeting him with a cheery hello every morning! As usual it was very hard to say goodbye.......please can we buy Mrs Mackintosh's classroom!!!?
A quick note to add: If you are needing supplies for the week, try Costcutter in Aviemore near the Cairngorm brewery, really good range of products, friendly staff and lovely, freshly made filled rolls!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Scotland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just returned from our first stay and absolutely loved it. We stayed in the staff room with our 2 year old twins and cannot fault the stay.

The boys loved (perhaps too much!) the dogs and goats and there is loads to see and do right on the doorstep. The grounds were great and we even enjoyed al fresco dining in the sunshine!

The master bedroom was bliss - the skylights with light flooding in during the day (blackout blinds or stars at night) a beautiful luxurious bath and walk in shower with heated floors.

Kate was great, her baking was Devine - being greeted with freshly baked Victoria sponge was a lovely gesture and one among a string of little touches that makes this place stand out among the rest.

Already looking at dates for our next stay - thank you Kate!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Great location and clean modern accommodation. The welcome was great with homemade cake and fresh eggs. The rooms were of high standard as was the whole building and grounds. Kate was helpful suggesting points of interest and asking how we were enjoying ourselves. The hot tub and sauna was also a bonus however slightly concerning that there was a camera on a tree pointing directly at the hot tub which felt like you were being watched. Some of the rules also seemed a bit over the top and there were extra charges if you damaged certain (listed) items. The kitchen was well equipped but lacked basics and only had a small dishwasher which between 4 people would not hold a days worth of washing up and only one dishwasher tablet per day was provided. Also no basics eg salt, milk, oil or tea/coffee were provided which meant we had to go out to shop straight away. The grounds were lovely with their pet dogs and goats wandering around. The wifi, TV and jigsaws provided great entertainment on an evening. It was just nicely outside of town and in easy reach to Aviemore whilst feeling rural and remote. Good place to stay with great looking accommodation. The owners are clearly very proud and protective of this stunning building and grounds with obvious reasons.

• Stayed May 2014
KateClark, Owner at The Old School, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
I am glad you enjoyed your stay her at The Old School. We try very hard to maintain our high standard of accommodation and yes we are very proud of our achievements.
The good housekeeping deposit is fairly standard in most self catering properties now, but thankfully it is mostly unnecessary.
The camera at the hot tub is not yet live which is why I never mentioned it, and I am surprised you never mentioned it if it was upsetting you. We are in the process of installing CCTV which we will inform our guests of when it is up and running as we are legally obliged to do. The CCTV at the hot tub will only be in use during night time hours, when it is not available for use by guests.Unfortunately this is necessary due to recent intruders using the facilities

Kate Clark
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had a brilliant holiday at the Old School. The house, garden and location were all perfect. We were made to feel very welcome by Kate and really appreciated the fresh eggs and home baking when we arrived. When I read reviews prior to booking my holiday I was a bit concerned that some mentioned dogs as our nine year old son is very scared of dogs. Kate assured me we didn't have to worry about the dogs as she would keep them away from us and she stuck to her word. We left the Old School feeling very proud of our son who began to show an interest in the dogs and enjoyed spending the last afternoon of our holiday in the garden with one of Kate's very friendly dogs, what a great achievement this was for him. We all hope to return again soon. Thanks for a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LCampbell2014
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We had a wonderful time in Scotland, made even better with our stay at the Old School. We were very close to excellent hiking trails and other places of interest, including Inverness and Loch Ness. The Old School was equipped with everything we needed and more, like the sauna! Close to Aviemore and shops too. A perfect week. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ulm, Germany
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Even before arriving at The Old School, I felt warmly welcomed by Kate's very kind emails and quick replies to my numerous questions. She suggested how to get to Carrbridge from Edinburgh (by train or even better by rental car), told me exactly how long it would take, and I found Duthil despite the lack of Satnav or map with the help of two smokers outside one of the hotels in the village.
I was amazed about the lovely "staffroom" in which I stayed all by myself - to be honest, I felt like a princess in her slightly oversized castle.
WiFi - which I needed as I was there reporting on the World Porridge Making Championships in which Kate took part, allowed me to accompany her during that exciting day and introduced me to lots of people - was excellent, the two TVs are rather huge, as is the bathtub in the new second bedroom which not least smelled so wonderfully. Great bed, all very clean, new, comfortable and cosy.
I went on beautiful autumn walks on Nairn beach and around several lochs in the Cairngorms, enjoyed bird-, duck-, reindeer- and squirrel-watching. My one-week-stay felt way too short, I didn't even find time to enjoy the hot tub, but it was altogether nothing short of: wunderbar!

Kate offered fresh eggs and home-made brownies on arrival and had left a few tabs for the dishwasher in the fully equipped kitchen but there was no washing powder when I arrived, so if you need to use the washing machine, remember to bring some. Likewise, pepper and salt were there, but no oil or vinegar, no tea bags or coffee. However, when I asked about the closest shop and it was too late to go there, Kate immediately offered me coffee and milk. She is a very welcoming host and soon felt like a friend. I love the fact that there are dogs, chicken and goats as well as robins in the beautiful garden around the Old School House.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The perfect place to come (home) to after a long journey up from London. On arrival we were welcomed by Kate and her amazing three dogs. We were very impressed by how crisp and clean everything was. We had everything we needed - a fully equipped kitchen, two bathrooms, free access to the WIFI, great beds and a very spacious living area. Beautifully decorated might I add! Kate and David's home cooked meals and home-made vodka shots were the icing on the cake. Our tip: Bring your swimsuit to make use of the sauna and stargaze in the outdoor jacuzzi. We've already booked our return stay... only three days after having left.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tanitaderuijt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrbridge
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
Fairwinds Hotel
Fairwinds Hotel
#2 of 3 in Carrbridge
Macdonald Lochanhully Woodland Club

Been to The Old School? Share your experiences!