“We feel homesick every time we have to leave...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carrbridge
Bed and Breakfast at MellonPatch
Ranked #4 of 8 Carrbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We have been to stay with Jane at The MellonPatch three times now...and it's just fantastic! What can we say? Rooms are lovely, homely, spotless and spacious. Jane is astounding, I have never met someone with so much energy and zest, she amazes me. Nothing is too much trouble, always smiling, welcoming and accommodating. I always have to have a lie-down after breakfast...as much as you can manage out of melon and strawberries, cereal, porridge and a full Scottish! You couldn't get better than this, we feel homesick after leaving.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nikkithomas29

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I am French and I wanted to surprise my grandparents and my uncle by booking this B & B. So, all age groups are represented and loved it! Jane is an angel really, super helpful, very nice and we felt like home. This is one of the best B & B I've seen I really recommend it. The place is perfect, very quiet, you could see the squirrels in the morning. Moreover, in the village there is a pub (which I recommend to eat or drink a beer with a great atmosphere) or a restaurant. In short a perfect evening really, the hardest part was leaving the morning after excelling Scottish breakfast. Again thank you Jane!I am French and I wanted to surprise my grandparents and my uncle by booking this B & B. So, all age groups are represented and loved it! Jane is an angel really, super helpful, very nice and we felt like home. This is one of the best B & B I've seen I really recommend it. The place is perfect, very quiet, you could see the squirrels in the morning. Moreover, in the village there is a pub (which I recommend to eat or drink a beer with a great atmosphere) or a restaurant. In short a perfect evening really, the hardest part was leaving the morning after excelling Scottish breakfast. Again thank you Jane!

Room Tip: Very quiet and lovely home !
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Yoann B
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We have stayed with Jane numerous times and the welcome gets warmer each year! This is the perfect B & B, picturesque and quiet location, off street parking, beautiful rooms with very comfy beds. The breakfasts are all you can wish for and will definately set you up for the day ahead. The cheeky red squirrels feeding outside the dining room window are always a winner! The Mellon Patch is exceptional value for money and one night is never enough! Would highly recommend. We will definately be back soon.

Room Tip: all the rooms are equally lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo C
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Good points:

- tremendous breakfast, served in wonderful tableware
- spacious rooms, very nicely decorated
- Jane is extremely welcoming - her knitting in the living room really adds up a homely feeling
- ask about the Bill Clinton signed picture - you're up for a good story!
- pretty inexpensive considering the quality

Not so good points:

- you have to leave this place in the morning, it felt a bit like leaving home... but we'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Romain P
Reviewed 28 February 2011

The Mellon Patch has it all! The rooms are spacious and tastefully furnished and there is always plenty of hot water. After a day on the ski slopes, Jane made sure that I knew I could make full use of the bath in the main bathroom, as the en-suite only had a shower. This gesture was much appreciated! Guests also have full use of a large and comfortable sitting room with large TV (all Sky channels).

Breakfasts at the Mellon Patch are sumptuous! Nothing is too much trouble for Jane - she made sure she had mushrooms in for our second day, and a full Scottish Breakfast certainly set us up for the day. Cereals, toast and fresh melon and strawberries also graced the table.

I cannot recommend the Mellon Patch highly enough. Jane and family make you feel very welcome without overstepping the mark, and the prices are so reasonable. In fact, I have certainly stayed in more expensive hotels that weren't a patch (no pun intended) on this.

Carrbridge is a lovely little village. If you don't have a car, the Mellon Patch is just 10 minutes walk downhill from the railway station. It takes less than 10 minutes to walk to the Dalrachny where we had a most enjoyable meal, warmed by real coal fires. The area has numerous walking routes, and an abundance of beautiful scenery and wildlife.

My advice - book a room here for at least 2 nights. You certainly won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ailsa222
Reviewed 11 February 2011

This is a five star bed and breakfast. We have been visiting for several years. It is a beautifully appointed house and scrupulously clean. The food is excellent and served in a manner belying the modest tariff. It is a home where the family live on one side of the house maintaining privacy for the three guest bedrooms on the other. Jane and family could not be more helpful and know the local area intimately. There are photographs and further details on the Mellon Patch website.

The four dots for location reflect the purpose of our visits. We go skiing and visit only in winter. The bottom station of the Cairngorm Ski Area is 17 miles away. If the local roads are blocked by snow there is no chance of driving up the mountain to the ski area in any case. For accommodation Aviemore is nearer but more expensive and not as good. I have stayed in some of the Aviemore hotels and the Mellon Patch knocks them into a cocked hat. To bring the distances into perspective, from Aviemore to the ski area is 11 miles so the extra 6 to Carrbridge do not make much difference.

In the middle of winter there is no trouble walking five minutes to the eating and drinking places located on the main road through Carrbridge.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NickWilkinson999
Reviewed 21 November 2010

The Mellon Patch is fantastic because of the following:

- a wonderful host, Jane
- a stunning location on the river which you can hear rushing by
- fantastic breakfasts (including porridge)
- great artwork in the house
- a five minute walk to what is now one of my favourite pubs in UK and definitely my favourite in Scotland. Great food, fantastic atmosphere, mostly locals.
- the yellow room
- the hiking in the Cairngorm mountains which is beautiful and easily accessible from here

Usually I harp on in these reviews about why a place was so good. In this case I would just recommend you try it because it's just one of those places. I wouldn't hesitate to say it's the best option in the area by far.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AJayDee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrbridge
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
#2 of 8 in Carrbridge
Cairn Hotel
Cairn Hotel
#5 of 8 in Carrbridge

Been to Bed and Breakfast at MellonPatch? Share your experiences!