“Awesome View, Not Much Else”

Cape View Motel and Cottages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mavillette
Dunham, Canada
“Awesome View, Not Much Else”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I was part of a wedding party that stayed at the inn for a weekend. From the outset it was clear this was not a relaxed environment. The owner was curt, and imposed bizarre rules on our party on numerous occasions.

My niece wanted an extra towel, as they were three in their room. Maybe they do their own laundry, but if I want ten towels, that is my prerogative He gave her all kinds of grief. The brother in aw of the bride wanted to take his coffee outside and sit in the sun. He was given a hard time. The list of grievances goes on and on.

We were a low-key party, by wedding standards. No drunken revelry, no peeing in the rose bushes...in my opinion we were polite and undemanding. But we all found the owner to be rude and unaccomodating. Never again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Mickjam
Russell W, Owner at Cape View Motel and Cottages, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
This review was from the brother-in-law that did not pay for his room or probably didn't know the deal the Bride and I had for the rooms. If the kids where in the rooms the bride asigned they would have found plenty of towels!
And taking the coffee to the rooms or outside or what ever is encouraged. If I said something to you about it, it would have been in jest, and I'm sorry if our senses of humour don't match.
The Bizzare rules were to keep you from peeing on the roses and yes it did work as yes you were a good group!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

After 17 hours of driving, we checked in Cape View motel at 9:30 pm and paid the rest of the cost of the stay meaning 250$ ( a total of 500$ for 4 nights and 5 days stay). At first, Russell Wiebe the owner seemed to be a nice man but we realized the real face. We were 4 people staying at the motel. Two of us went to sleep around 10 :30 pm, one of our friends came to visit us and the two others visitors went to smoke behind our room. I agree , our three friends shouldn't of smoked a cigarette in the back outside of the room but for him to have kick us all out, it was unrespectful. RUSSELL WIEBER IS A THIEF FOR TAKING 500$ that he did not deserve. We don't mind that he took our deposit money but for him to take the total cost of the stay it is unexceptable. Our two friend left around 2 am because they were kicked out right away. Me and my boyfriend who were sleeping got a unexpected rude knock on the door at 7 am the next morning, my boyfriend answered and he was screaming to us to get out of his property by 8 am when we did not know what happened. We called our friends to come pick us up, when our friend arrived, he wanted to help us take our luggage and personal items to the car, the owner Russell said: you are not allowed to go in the room, get off my property and screamed: IM GOING TO WIPE OFF THAT GRIN OFF YOUR FACE . I usually never stay in 2 star motels but my experience here was offensive and the worst I ever had. We would of accepted a fine for smoking in the wrong area but kicking us out and denying to give us a refund. Later that day, we decided to go to the police and try to see if they could do anything. Unfortunately, he has the right to take the whole amount of money since its his property. I am not just writting this as a review but as a notice and warning that this situation can happen to other visitors and the owner Russell can take the whole amount of your stay and kick you out. Please take this review in consideration before booking your stay. It is not worth it staying at motel and getting disrespectful screams. At least, if he offered to give us half of the money back (250$ which was payed the night before at 9:30 date:august 21st) we wouldn't of wrote such a bad review. I really hope none of the other guests would have to go through this situation. So please stay away from this motel and stay away from Russell Wiebe.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
16 Thank Cayla L
The disrespect was to the other guests at my property. I was thanked the next morning by the repectfull people that had been awoken by the foolery and second hand smoke.The lady never said one word to me as she left, but has since been refunded for 1/2 her stay after she chated with us like an adult. It is a shame that there is not a trip advisor to warn of such clients!
Bridgewater, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Fabulous 3 days at this clean welcoming motel. Carol provided great continental breakfasts with homemade treats. Most beautiful beaches, almost too nice to share with the world! Nice local restaurant across the street with weekly local musicians performing. Highly recommend this well kept secret!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Deborah G
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We always stay in the motel rooms facing beautiful Mavillette beach, stunning sunsets and vistas. The best part is that you have a unblocked view right down to the water. Close proximity to digby if you're coming off ferry from st john.

Don't change a thing!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

About a year ago, while planning a get-away wedding anniversary weekend for my wife and I, I stumbled upon this location and I must admit, this place sounded pretty perfect. After speaking with the owner on the phone twice before arriving, he seemed very pleasant and accommodating. We were travelling with our dog and this was disclosed prior to making the reservation. I was informed of the three pet rules that have been mentioned in other reviews/replies and agreed that those seemed fair. After driving with our dog for 3 hours in the vehicle and arriving at the destination, we let her out to stretch her legs. Full disclosure-she was not Immediately put on a leash as I had to get it from the back seat. At no time did she stray more than 4 feet from my wife or I and she was on a leash within 30 seconds of exiting the vehicle. There were no other guests within sight and we were more than 50 feet from any building entrance point. A man (who I later found out to be the owner) immediately yelled at us to "get your dog on a leash now". Not really thinking anything of it, upon going inside to check-in, we were immediately lectured and reprimanded for our apparent neglect of the "rules". There was never any sort of greeting, just a rude lecture. We were told that if we didn't want to follow the rules, we wouldn't be staying at the establishment. Our reservation and credit card information was then ripped up and thrown into the garbage. Needless to say, at this point, there was no way in hell we would be staying here, even if the owner "allowed us". After a back-and-forth heated exchange about customer service and hospitality, with four other guests present in the room, I left (my wife had left when our reservation was shredded), aggravated and disappointed in the owner and the experience her was providing us with.. Having grown up in the Maritimes my entire life, this is not at all the level of service or hospitality I have come to expect from an establishment of this nature. And, as can be seen in previous responses by the owner, it is likely there will be some sort of reason or excuse for our experience, if the owner chooses to respond. Bottom line-if you plan to travel to this area with your dog, I strongly recommend not staying here. The owner simply does not have a clue about how to treat their guests or project a welcoming atmosphere, both key aspects in the tourism/hospitality industry.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mike G
I would like a to say Sorry to all the responsible pet owners out there that we no longer accept PETS!
It is because of the people that think the rules don't apply to them and they can do as they please with there pets in a public space.
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed at the Cape View on our last night of our Nova Scotia holiday. We were booked into the motel room next to the office (#5) and so happy with the stunning views of Mavillette Beach right out our back door! Russ and Carol, thank you so much for making our short stay so memorable! You obviously know how to take care of your customers! The Cape View is charming and very clean and the rates are so reasonable. Would love to return some day!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I recently spent a night at the Cape view with 3 friends. Our hosts were friendly & welcoming. The room was very clean & comfortable & the view from the room was amazing. I would definitely stay at the Cape view again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jayne M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mavillette
Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mavillette
Brier Island Lodge
Brier Island Lodge
#1 of 1 in Westport

Been to Cape View Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!