“Don't expect too much”

Port Stanley Beach Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Stanley
Port Stanley Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Stanley
ontario
“Don't expect too much”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The location of this hotel is almost on the beach - the name is not misleading, but it should be noted that most of the rooms open on to the main road sidewalk or on to a public walkway - the rules and regulations concerning this are readily available in the room (e.g you are not allowed to sit outside).

Checking in is not welcoming - firstly there is no indication outside that you have to go through the "Bucaneer Restaurant". Once inside you have to go through a door at the back into a dingy check in office. You then have to ring a bell and wait, and wait and wait.

The room was super clean, and although it had been recently decorated, very tastefully, the furniture was old and battered and the carpet was threadbare. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were beautifully clean. There was a fridge in the room, but no coffee/tea making facilities or a telephone.

The "Bucaneer Restaurant" was a good, clean, family style restaurant with a varied menu.

We stayed mid week in June and it was quiet, and we had a relaxing stay. However, be careful, it would appear from the number of special parking areas for motorcycles that this particular area of Port Stanley is a draw for bikers with the beach and many restaurants in the vicinity. It is my opinion that being so close to the beach it could be very noisy in the summer season and at weekends - but we did not experience this. Also with the rooms opening up on to the sidewalks would mean being extra cautious about coming and going from your room. Also you cannot park your car outside your room because that area belongs to the restaurant next door; the hotel parking is common with the Bucaneer Restaurant around the other side of the building.

I would class this hotel as average - would I stay there again? - probably not because there are other places in Port Stanley which would be more to our tastes. Would I recommend it to anyone? - yes I would if they are looking for somewhere on a busy beach and looking for the action!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank euchreman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 21 May 2012

. Drove up from Baltimore to find a well managed small privately owned " family " hotel
. If you want a great meal...you should go to a Greek restaurant because THEY KNOW FOOD! ( just a fact of life and I grew up in one)
. Owner and his wife personally "work" the kitchen and entire operation. Apparently he's successfully built some very innovative restaurant operations mixing the themes of collectable classic cars, food & drink
. VERY well trained waite staff - faaast, personable, fun, yet professional. Jen was awesome
. stayed in room 5 - (the last room available)..I.lucked out to get it (cancellation) on Victoria day weekend.
. So clean you could eat off the floor ( IF that's your thing). Bed, was crisp and super comfortable. Manager Patricia rescued me - forgot my razor... she had it all !
. I expected the typical Continental breakfast .... OMG I could order anything on a very big menu. Oh noooo, no paper napkins - instead, I had to live with linen & linen table cloth while outside sitting under an umbrella looking towards the beach - .an unexpected classy surprise
. Hotel located next to world famous Mackies On the Beach (Operating since the 30's) - another great mom & pop eatery ( Their Orangeade & fries... a must ).
.GT's is a must visit next door with live music, well organized beach volleyball...even though its a bar its family friendly and very well run as well.
. The beach is super clean and water quality was phenomenal supported with the fact that Port Stanly supplies St Thomas & London their drinking water too.
. Not a lot of rooms - book in advance. When checking in leave luggage in your car, go thru restaurant to Hotel Desk THEN unload your car right in front of your room.
. Almost forgot, Lots of historic art / photos decorating the walls. Stork Club - north Americas Largest cabaret ballroom from the '30's , Incline railroad, ships of Port etc very nice
. 3rd hotel I've stayed at with no phone...makes sense -everyone has a cell now & who wants to get nailed for local or long distance calls....times are a changing. Instead I appreciated the wifi & DVD player.
Prices compared to the big chains and other local B & B's ? a best bet and especially being on the beach.
.I travel a lot & will definitely return. NExt time, It'll be the penthouse booked well in advance.
.Happy traveling everyone. Alex Karavasilis from Baltimore Maryland

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex K
Ontario's Near North, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Well, My husband and I stayed overnight here after reading all the reviews on trip advisor. Usually we stick to chain hotels that have a good reputation but thought we would try this place as there are no chain hotels/motels in the area.
Over the phone without being able to see the hotel we had the choice of beach side with an obstructed view of the beach or patio side. I chose patio side thinking that the obstruction, which is an arcade, would be noisy. When we showed up the staff are VERY friendly and the woman showed us to the room and upon entering there is a strong musty smell from the airconditoning, I assume. There is a huge cooking pan on the one table due to the airconditioning unit dripping. The room was nicely decorated. I found it very strange that there was no phone in the room? First time for that. I opened the sliding patio door blinds to find a table of four people, literally right outside our door ! I would say, one foot away was an entire outdoor patio of approximately 40 tables?
There were no other rooms available in the hotel or the area so we hoped the musty smell would get better if we aired it out. It never got better. It Was a very strange room. After 9 pm you can only get in and out of your room via the patio door, no one was at the hotel if you had a question or concern. The woman who showed us to our room said, if there is a problem there is a number in the book in the drawer.......oops no book in the drawer, but you shouldn't have any problems anyway??? huh?
As it turns out the children down the hall were noisy and out in the hallway until approx 11:30pm......but there was no one to call as we had no number and no phone. The bed was super noisy and not very comfortable. You sit on the end of it to watch t.v and the top end of the bed was off the floor !
The breakfast is included in the price of the room, good deal. The breakfast was very good. I wish I had the same experience as some of the other guests, they seemed to have enjoyed it ! I can see the possible appeal of the place being close to the beach etc, BUT I was not happy and would not go back if in the area again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank lisaiz
Toronto Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We recently stayed for 2 nights at the Port Stanley Beach Hotel. It is literally steps from the beach. The only obstruction as other reviewers have already mentioned is "Mackies" (a fast food/arcade spot) in front of the building. For a summer holiday you cannot beat the location in Port Stanley. It is located close to the Big Beach. We stayed in rooms 4/5/6 - 3 couples. One of the couples had room 8 or 9 which I would not recommend. The walk patio to your room is actually the outdoor resturant which you can only enjoy once the restaurant is closed. The rooms had tv's, ac/, blow dryers and a small fridge, perfect for storing snacks or chilling wine & beer.
Access to hotel is tricky. Through the resturant - past the diners and on your left at the back is a door to the reception area of the hotel.
The rooms were very nice and clean. Staff, both in resturant and front desk, were pleasant and helpful. Check in was 1 p.m. and our rooms were ready right at 1:00 p.m. Breakfast is included in your stay and you can order anything off the breakfast menu. Perch and steak a nominal additional cost. A great selelction; pancakes, french toast, large omlettes, etc. etc. I would recommend this location and stay again!! While there go to GT's after dinner for drinks a fun spot on the beach with tikki torches and a live band.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mandmviajeros
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 August 2011

While this hotel claims to be nestled in the sand, our room opened to the parking lot of the bar next door. Not exactly the beachy feel that their website suggests.

We had a charming room and a wonderful breakfast. Dinner was overpriced and just OK.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank familyfour1
Westminster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We rented three rooms and the penthouse for our one night stop over in Port Stanley.
The hotel is beautiful!!! The rooms are clean and beautifully decorated. The Penthouse was more like an apartment, with a huge living room and three bedrooms, plus the bathroom has a jacuzzi tub. All the rooms were clean and comfortable. The hotel is just steps from the beach and a quick walk to convenience stores and ice cream. We ate dinner in the restaurant, which was wonderful. The food was great, excellent portions and terrific service for our large party of 10. We were unable to take advantage of breakfast as we departed early the next day but were very impressed that it was choice of the menu. The rates are extremely reasonable for the quality of lodging. Highly recommend staying here!!! The owner personally showed us to our rooms and explained everything including where to park. Excellent!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank hockeymom7468
Woodslee, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My friends and I recently stayed in the penthouse at the Port Stanley Hotel and were pleasantly surprised by the experience. The room was extremely spacious and clean. We found the staff to be very accommodating - even allowing us an early check-in for no additional cost. While previous reviewers are correct in stating the unfortunate placement of Mackies, the location is still premium for anyone who enjoys the beach. The entire town is within walking distance, although I would highly recommend you choose The Buccaneer for your meals(which is attached to the hotel). We enjoyed a lunch of yellow perch and it was delicious! Breakfast, which is included with the room was also very good - with no hidden charges! Loved it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Westminster
Quality Suites London
Quality Suites London
#20 of 41 in London

Been to Port Stanley Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!