“Look closely before you choose”

Port Stanley Beach Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Stanley
Port Stanley Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Stanley
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple have twice stayed at The Port Stanley Beach Hotel. Our first visit was much better than our second, unfortunately. During our second visit just a week ago, our friends were placed in a room where there was no way they could control the air conditioning unit, the door was very difficult to open and close, and the toilet did not function properly. Their room abutted the bar patio outside where party-goers gather at night and guests gather for breakfast starting at 8:00 a.m. The noise was annoying and quite evident through the thin walls. Also, the chairs in their room were badly stained and dirty! None of the four different rooms we stayed in has a telephone, Internet access, or coffee maker. The hair dryers need replacing as they were poorly functioning, switching from high to low at random.
However, one of the most irksome and annoying issues occurred when we decided to have dinner at the hotel. The waitress told our party of four that included in the dinner special we had a choice of salads: garden salad, Greek salad, or Caesar's salad. After we had ordered our meal, another waitress came by to tell us the first waitress made a mistake. If we wanted a Greek salad, which is what we all asked for, we would have to pay an additional $4.95, and were advised that we could have one of the other salads. We opted for the Caesar's salad. When I asked this waitress if I might speak to the manager, she said, "He isn't here right now, but he's on his way in. I will tell him to talk to you when he gets here." I later called this young girl over to ask further questions, she said she was busy, but would return soon. She then stood at the bar and talked with other workers. After we'd finished our meal, she came back to the table; I asked her if the manager had arrived yet. She said she was the manager then. I attempted to let her know that we thought the restaurant should have honoured our first requests to establish good customer relations. She said our waitress was new and had not been properly trained, but offered no recompense for the error. When our bills arrived, we noticed that we had been charged an additional $1.00 for the Caesar's salad, not unreasonable, but truly annoying; this had NOT been pointed out to us when we were asked if we wanted to change our orders. None of this needed to happen if the restaurant had only clearly posted the policy on the menu.
While the rooms are reasonably priced throughout the week at $90.00/night, the cost for renting on Friday-Sunday is exorbitant at $149.00/night given their condition. While many of the dining staff were friendly and helpful, but the one waitress who called herself the manager was patronizing.
I know we won't return to this hotel ever again. I want to warn others of our experiences so they can choose wisely before they book.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 9!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank Michele B

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We visited Port Stanley and area from Kincardine, ON as a romantic little get-away trip.
We stayed at The Beach Hotel/Buccaneer on a Thursday evening and left Friday morning mid June. School children were not out for summer vacation yet and due to being mid week, it was quiet. Our room was located on the main floor abutting a small walkway but there were hardly any people over at Mackie's - the Amusement Center and restaurant next door. We brought a couple of our own bevereges with us, and enjoyed sitting on the deck chairs on the small patio off our room, watching colourful kites fly on the beach.
From the moment my husband checked us in, the staff greeted him warmly by his name and mine too. Thursday was steak night and for $10.99 you got a really nice salad, perfectly cooked steak and delicious mashed potatoes drizzed with butter. Yum! We attended the Port Stanley festival theater where again the locals were very friendly people and it was within easy walking distance to get there. After the production we were asked to enjoy the opening night after-party of delicious hors d'oerves and wine and mingle. The weather that day was a balmy 24 degrees.
Breakfast the next day at the Beach Hotel was complimentary. We didn't know if it just would be toast and coffee or tea. Imagine our surprise when the waitress came over and greeted us again by name which surprised us as we hadn't met her before. She told us we could have anything on the very extensive breakfast menu - with exception of the Perch and steak. No problem! Our meals came right away and the things we chose were cooked perefctly AND PLENTIFUL. WoW! The cook also added a little apple fritter she made only for the staff, but for us as a token treat as well. That was so nice of her! We would go back to this hotel and restaurant in a heart-beat. It was excellent value. Pristine clean room. Comfortable bed. Quiet. Very nice people! We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Rules for this hotel/motel are posted in each room's binder. The owners are in attendance if you...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank M B
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The location of this hotel is almost on the beach - the name is not misleading, but it should be noted that most of the rooms open on to the main road sidewalk or on to a public walkway - the rules and regulations concerning this are readily available in the room (e.g you are not allowed to sit outside).

Checking in is not welcoming - firstly there is no indication outside that you have to go through the "Bucaneer Restaurant". Once inside you have to go through a door at the back into a dingy check in office. You then have to ring a bell and wait, and wait and wait.

The room was super clean, and although it had been recently decorated, very tastefully, the furniture was old and battered and the carpet was threadbare. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were beautifully clean. There was a fridge in the room, but no coffee/tea making facilities or a telephone.

The "Bucaneer Restaurant" was a good, clean, family style restaurant with a varied menu.

We stayed mid week in June and it was quiet, and we had a relaxing stay. However, be careful, it would appear from the number of special parking areas for motorcycles that this particular area of Port Stanley is a draw for bikers with the beach and many restaurants in the vicinity. It is my opinion that being so close to the beach it could be very noisy in the summer season and at weekends - but we did not experience this. Also with the rooms opening up on to the sidewalks would mean being extra cautious about coming and going from your room. Also you cannot park your car outside your room because that area belongs to the restaurant next door; the hotel parking is common with the Bucaneer Restaurant around the other side of the building.

I would class this hotel as average - would I stay there again? - probably not because there are other places in Port Stanley which would be more to our tastes. Would I recommend it to anyone? - yes I would if they are looking for somewhere on a busy beach and looking for the action!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank euchreman
Reviewed 21 May 2012

. Drove up from Baltimore to find a well managed small privately owned " family " hotel
. If you want a great meal...you should go to a Greek restaurant because THEY KNOW FOOD! ( just a fact of life and I grew up in one)
. Owner and his wife personally "work" the kitchen and entire operation. Apparently he's successfully built some very innovative restaurant operations mixing the themes of collectable classic cars, food & drink
. VERY well trained waite staff - faaast, personable, fun, yet professional. Jen was awesome
. stayed in room 5 - (the last room available)..I.lucked out to get it (cancellation) on Victoria day weekend.
. So clean you could eat off the floor ( IF that's your thing). Bed, was crisp and super comfortable. Manager Patricia rescued me - forgot my razor... she had it all !
. I expected the typical Continental breakfast .... OMG I could order anything on a very big menu. Oh noooo, no paper napkins - instead, I had to live with linen & linen table cloth while outside sitting under an umbrella looking towards the beach - .an unexpected classy surprise
. Hotel located next to world famous Mackies On the Beach (Operating since the 30's) - another great mom & pop eatery ( Their Orangeade & fries... a must ).
.GT's is a must visit next door with live music, well organized beach volleyball...even though its a bar its family friendly and very well run as well.
. The beach is super clean and water quality was phenomenal supported with the fact that Port Stanly supplies St Thomas & London their drinking water too.
. Not a lot of rooms - book in advance. When checking in leave luggage in your car, go thru restaurant to Hotel Desk THEN unload your car right in front of your room.
. Almost forgot, Lots of historic art / photos decorating the walls. Stork Club - north Americas Largest cabaret ballroom from the '30's , Incline railroad, ships of Port etc very nice
. 3rd hotel I've stayed at with no phone...makes sense -everyone has a cell now & who wants to get nailed for local or long distance calls....times are a changing. Instead I appreciated the wifi & DVD player.
Prices compared to the big chains and other local B & B's ? a best bet and especially being on the beach.
.I travel a lot & will definitely return. NExt time, It'll be the penthouse booked well in advance.
.Happy traveling everyone. Alex Karavasilis from Baltimore Maryland

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex K
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Well, My husband and I stayed overnight here after reading all the reviews on trip advisor. Usually we stick to chain hotels that have a good reputation but thought we would try this place as there are no chain hotels/motels in the area.
Over the phone without being able to see the hotel we had the choice of beach side with an obstructed view of the beach or patio side. I chose patio side thinking that the obstruction, which is an arcade, would be noisy. When we showed up the staff are VERY friendly and the woman showed us to the room and upon entering there is a strong musty smell from the airconditoning, I assume. There is a huge cooking pan on the one table due to the airconditioning unit dripping. The room was nicely decorated. I found it very strange that there was no phone in the room? First time for that. I opened the sliding patio door blinds to find a table of four people, literally right outside our door ! I would say, one foot away was an entire outdoor patio of approximately 40 tables?
There were no other rooms available in the hotel or the area so we hoped the musty smell would get better if we aired it out. It never got better. It Was a very strange room. After 9 pm you can only get in and out of your room via the patio door, no one was at the hotel if you had a question or concern. The woman who showed us to our room said, if there is a problem there is a number in the book in the drawer.......oops no book in the drawer, but you shouldn't have any problems anyway??? huh?
As it turns out the children down the hall were noisy and out in the hallway until approx 11:30pm......but there was no one to call as we had no number and no phone. The bed was super noisy and not very comfortable. You sit on the end of it to watch t.v and the top end of the bed was off the floor !
The breakfast is included in the price of the room, good deal. The breakfast was very good. I wish I had the same experience as some of the other guests, they seemed to have enjoyed it ! I can see the possible appeal of the place being close to the beach etc, BUT I was not happy and would not go back if in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank lisaiz
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We recently stayed for 2 nights at the Port Stanley Beach Hotel. It is literally steps from the beach. The only obstruction as other reviewers have already mentioned is "Mackies" (a fast food/arcade spot) in front of the building. For a summer holiday you cannot beat the location in Port Stanley. It is located close to the Big Beach. We stayed in rooms 4/5/6 - 3 couples. One of the couples had room 8 or 9 which I would not recommend. The walk patio to your room is actually the outdoor resturant which you can only enjoy once the restaurant is closed. The rooms had tv's, ac/, blow dryers and a small fridge, perfect for storing snacks or chilling wine & beer.
Access to hotel is tricky. Through the resturant - past the diners and on your left at the back is a door to the reception area of the hotel.
The rooms were very nice and clean. Staff, both in resturant and front desk, were pleasant and helpful. Check in was 1 p.m. and our rooms were ready right at 1:00 p.m. Breakfast is included in your stay and you can order anything off the breakfast menu. Perch and steak a nominal additional cost. A great selelction; pancakes, french toast, large omlettes, etc. etc. I would recommend this location and stay again!! While there go to GT's after dinner for drinks a fun spot on the beach with tikki torches and a live band.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mandmviajeros
Reviewed 1 August 2011

While this hotel claims to be nestled in the sand, our room opened to the parking lot of the bar next door. Not exactly the beachy feel that their website suggests.

We had a charming room and a wonderful breakfast. Dinner was overpriced and just OK.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 9 in Port Stanley
Eagles Rest
Eagles Rest
#4 of 9 in Port Stanley

Been to Port Stanley Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!