“Very disappointing !”

Ranked #1 of 9 Port Stanley B&B and Inns
Amherstburg, Canada
“Very disappointing !”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have taken a trip to Port Stanley every year for the last 5 years. Have always stayed at the Kettle Creek Inn. In july last year I needed a break so went again. Was supposed to stay 2 nights. I left after one ! THe rooms really need an update and feel very dull and old. Apart from that I like the rooms.
When I awoke the next morning I went for a walk and stopped across the street for a coffee as I was told breakfast wasn't until 8.30. I find that quite late. I went down at 8.30 and found the doors locked ! I waited thinking someone would show up. Finally at 9.am someone came. They walked right past me inside the hotel and gave me a very unwelcoming look like I shouldnt be there at all. Eventually they opened the doors and was grudgingly allowed in. Nothing was prepared at all . I was given some quickly put together breakfast items and hardly spoken too. After I pointed out that I was told to come at 8.30 they were then a little nice as seemingly they thought I was just an " early bird " whatever difference that means I am not sure. Their treatment was very poor and made me feel very unwelcome. I returned to my room and decided to leave. Nothing was said by them in way of apology or encouragement to stay. I will never go again and would not recommend it.
The food too has definitely gone downhill.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lilgma26
kci_13, Owner at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
You are not the only one who is disappointed. There must be some mistake because during our prime months of June to September we are very busy at the inn with our occupancy. Our breakfast hours are always from 8:30 to 10;30; staff is always here by 8:00 & the doors are always open for guests from 8:30 on ward. If a guest is wishing an earlier breakfast , continetals are put in their room the night before.
I am disappointed for another reason; we also want to provide the best possible experience for our guests. We value our guests.
I am also vey curious- did you send in comments to Trip Advisor previously regarding your experience & did you also demand that an inn Facebook posting be removed?

Jean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I took an overnight getaway here and it was really good. The suite was spacious and had a whirlpool tub as well as a fireplace in the separated living room. We got one of the dinner packages and the food was very well made. I wish we lived close enough to eat there regularly.

Aside from the nice, comfy room and the awesome food, the service was also exceedingly good. Everyone was knowledgeable and friendly and really cared about a classic, old-fashioned hospitality experience.

I found the bed to be a bit hard, but I was so tired out from wandering all over town that it didn't make too much of a difference.

One note: Port Stanley is a really cute little town, but there is almost nothing to do after dark. If you require an urban nightlife atmosphere, this won't be for you. My husband and I found ourselves a bit restless at night, but we wandered and poked our heads into the bar, and then watched a movie back in the comfy room. All told, a great mini-getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
kci_13, Owner at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our food & hospitality.
We would love to have you return at any time but you may wish to head this way again in the summer. We can direct you to some interesting night time spots. Also we have great summer theatre.
Thomastown, Ireland
Reviewed 14 October 2013

What a great time. We went to Port Stanley on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it. The inn had a wonderful spotless room. We enjoyed the porch, sipping on a lager and watching the town. It is nice to not think about parking, taxis, elevators and all the other trappings of the big cities. The restaurant furnished tasty meals; the service was excellent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
kci_13, Owner at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
We do appreciate our guests taking the time to let us know what they think of their experience at our inn. We are delighted when we have succeeded in making our guests pleased with the inn & Port. Looking forward to having you return!

Essex
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed at the Kettle Creek Inn for my birthday. When we arrived, the proprietress was on the patio and recognized who we were and had us leave our bags outside while we registered so we did not have to carry them with us. An excellent start. The suite was beautiful very spacious and included a fireplace jacuzzi and king size bed. The first class restaurant is just downstairs and again excellent service and meal. The continental breakfast was also excellent. Homemade muffins, breads etc. overall, a wonderful place to stay

Room Tip: Not sure but stipulate what you want and they can probably accommodate you
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
kci_13, Owner at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Certainly looking forward to having you return.

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Kettle Creek Inn several years ago and were extremely impressed with the hospitality and uniqueness of the Inn. This year we celebrated our 47th Wedding Anniversary by planning a two day stay at the Inn once again.

What has happened. The rooms were the same very clean and comfortable but there was something lacking in the hospitality department. On our first visit we were treat each morning to a lovely cooked breakfast and an evening menu which changed each day. On this trip it was a "VERY" basic continental breakfast and a fixed dinner menu. Don't get me wrong the food is very top notch what one would expect from a fine dinning place.

Now we were advised at check in that if we came in late the front door would be locked and we would need to use the back stairs entrance, which is not well lit and access is either through the alley or down a dark path to the court yard which is lit and gives a dusk like lighting to the stairs. (not at all welcoming).

On our second evening we attended the theater which is a short walk from the INN, as did several other guest and it stormed and was raining when we reached the Inn shortly after 10:00 P.M. only to find the front door locked. (We were the first to arrive back). Being the gentleman that he is my husband offered to go around the back and come down the stairs to open the front door for me. However; what we didn't know was that they lock the door leading into the guest rooms upstairs so he couldn't come down. Which meant that he had to negotiate the stairs once again. About 20 minutes after we had arrived back and after some other guests arrived at the front door, someone from inside the Inn came and unlocked the door allowing us entry. There is more to the story but I will spare you the details. A door bell on the front door and a note advising guest that the inside door would be locked after a certain hour would have made a difference.

We did not experience the warmth or welcoming attitude one expects when staying at an Inn or B & B. Our feeling was that the Kettle Creek Inn is now more focused on their Dinning Room and not on the Guests that stay there. If you are looking for a Hotel with a good restaurant this is the place to go. Disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ruth C
kci_13, Owner at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We certainly wish your experience with locked doors could have been more positive. I have spoken to staff regarding the issue. Rain & stairs added to the issue. Unfortunately, we have had to lock those top doors because a few guests took liberities with our possessions.
I do have to point out that in the 30 years that we have had the inn, we have not offered a complimnetary hot breakfast to our guests. Also we have not in the past offered a different menu every day. Guests who are on the package have always had unlimited choice of any appetizer,entree and dessert from our extensive main menu.
Please return as we would like to prove that we do shine in the hospitality department.
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights midweek. We booked the 2 night dinner package with a suite. WELL! Our stay exceeded our expectations. From the moment we arrived until we left, the owners and staff couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating. Suite was super clean and large. Balcony's are covered and face the lovely courtyard and gardens. The meals were to die for! The presentation, quality and quantity were outstanding. This is the way an Inn or hotel should be run. The dedication and hard work by everyone really does show. We will most definitely revisit and highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
kci_13, Owner at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Your review is music to our ears. We do try hard to give everyone an incredible experience.
Let's not forget that you were great guests. Love to have you back at any time.
dorset
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We spent a couple of nights here in August on our way to Niagara, it was booked late so we had to change rooms after the first night moving to a pleasant suite overlooking the courtyard, The staff were excellent and could not have been more helpful. Although we did not use the restaurant the short time we were there they did provide us with wine glasses etc. so we could "do our own thing " on our balcony with friends we were travelling with. From what we saw of the courtyard restaurant area and food it was a shame we were not there longer to sample it !
The rooms are Inn rooms and not the normal hotel stereotype which made them a little different but gave a pleasing experience. The breakfast was simple but adequate.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
kci_13, Owner at Kettle Creek Inn, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
So pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our inn and our charming village.
Try to return & this time have lunch or dinner with us. Under the gazebo is the perfect spot for fair weather dining.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Stanley
Ramada London
Ramada London
#22 of 41 in London
Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre

Been to Kettle Creek Inn? Share your experiences!