“Top Drawer Accommodations”
Review of Telegraph House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Stanley
Telegraph House
Ranked #3 of 9 Port Stanley B&B and Inns
Ashland City, Tennessee, United States
“Top Drawer Accommodations”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My husband and I spent a couple nights at the Telegraph House this past week so we could visit with his cousins who were vacationing in Port Stanley, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We have been to a number of B and B's over the last twenty plus years and can safely say that this B and B has reached the gold standard! (Note: We stayed at the Telegraph House a couple of years before to visit family and although we didn't review it at the time, the service and accommodations were consistent then with what they were last week.)

The room we stayed in was roomy yet cozy and attractively decorated. The bathroom was large and like the bedroom, immaculate. Additionally, in the bathroom there were heated towel racks to give an extra measure of comfort.

Then there was what all persons dedicated to seeking out the best in B and B's look for: Breakfast, complete with menus to choose from! And what breakfasts we were served featuring the innkeepers' homemade bread, homemade jam, omelets, Eggs Benedict, hash brown potatoes pancakes made with corn flour and fresh fruit and good coffee to go with the excellent breakfasts! (Foodies, take note!) Breakfast was served outside on the porch where we could enjoy watching people go past and look out on the harbor.

The Telegraph House is the perfect place to launch a visit to a charming and unspoiled beach town on the north shore of Lake Erie and be with family from Ontario. We live in Tennessee and found that the couple of days we spent there were well worth it both times we stayed!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy K

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I'll make this review short.

Port Stanley has quickly become a favourite destination for us and on a whim, we decided we wanted a room during the recent Civic long weekend. The only place available was the Telegraph, which was fine as we had admired the B&B in prior visits.

Upon checkin in, Vicci greeted us and right away just rubbed us the wrong way. In fact, she looked my girlfriend up and down upon arrival. Strange. We mentioned that we would try and make it for breakfast, but since we were down for only one evening and visiting friends we weren't sure. We didn't make it for breakfast and upon leaving our room for checkout at 11, were rudely greeted by a man I can only assume was Vicci's husband. I said good morning and the only response I received was "Ya we're just going to need your card" I was taken aback, but had already decided that I'd never be returning so let it slide.

The Telegraph House is a beautiful property. I had no problems with the rooms or the amenities, except for the near 6 inch gap between the floor and door bottom which allowed every noise to enter your room. But if you are of a relatively young age (we're in our early and mid 30's) don't bother. The vibe was entirely wrong for a bed & breakfast and we will not be returning.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jason R
Vicci C, Owner at Telegraph House, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I also had to apologize to the room guests that rented above you for your noisy return to the house at 4:30 a.m. and your loud shouting and banging during that early morning time and the retching sounds from your bathroom at breakfast. I did provide a large bottle of free tylenol to your girlfriend upon check-out at her request. You are right in suggesting we are probably not the right fit for younger crowd.
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Jon and Vicci could not have made our stay more comfortable. They are warm and welcoming people experienced in the hospitality industry. You know people are passionate about what they do when they spend to attend expensive conferences to benefit their guests. The Telegraph House is 5 star and the food matches. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience and it made the birthday one to fondly remember. Thank you Jon & Vicci!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barbill1
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We had the pleasure of experiencing a stay at The Telegraph House. Its Victorian Heritage was complimented by its attention to detail echoing the era, yet recognizing the comfort desires of the modern day traveller; tastefully done.

The term, 'Bed and Breakfast' is an understatement; the Breakfast was beyond the standard Continental Type Breakfasts often seen at B & B's. At the Telegraph, guests are given a Menu with bountiful selections to choose from; homemade and delicious.

The Telegraph is wonderfully placed in Port Stanley, an unspoiled town dotted with quaint stores, bakeries, restaurants, scenic train rides and a lovely beach!

I have had the opportunity to refer others and they have found their stay at The Telegraph exceptional also.

Loraine R.

Room Tip: All good rooms dependant on your personal needs; couple, family, friends, solo, etc.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Loraine R
St. George, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stay at the Telegraph House at least twice a year. The owners are great. The food is excellent. The rooms are wonderful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Mark H
Toronto
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My husband and I booked a two-night getaway with our three-year-old daughter in Port Stanley and were very impressed with the building. Our room was beautiful, the bathroom modern and spacious, and the breakfast was delicious. The only fault we could find with this place was Vicci, the woman who runs it. When we booked the room, we had asked about having an evening meal there, as it's a service they offer to their guests. She asked (via e-mail) if 6:30 pm would be okay, and I replied that 7:30 would be better so that we could put our daughter to bed and have a nice meal just the two of us.

The day we were headed to Port Stanley I called to advise of our arrival time and she told me she hadn't noticed that I'd asked for a different time and that they were serving dinner at 6:30 sharp (far too early to put our toddler to bed) and wouldn't be able to accommodate us that night, but what about the next night? I said that would be fine, but then she for some reason decided that no, after all, that wouldn't work for her, dinner could ONLY be at 6:30, no later. Regarding our arrival time, she said that check-in was ONLY from 3 to 6 (I said we would be there late afternoon - "But you'll be there by six, right? Because check-in is from 3 to 6"). When we arriving, she "greeted" us unsmilingly, handed us the keys and had us sign a paper and indicated the door to our room. As regular visitors to bed and breakfasts, we were very surprised by her lack of hospitality - usually, because the hosts greet you in their homes, they treat you like a guest, even if you're paying. Not the case here.

Our breakfasts were delicious, no complaints there. I had the pancakes (light and fluffy) one morning, my husband had the Lake Erie perch (pretty good), and the second morning we both had the corned beef hash which was really tasty and served with a delicious cornmeal muffin. Special mention goes to the homemade strawberry jam (I think it was freezer jam - tasted like fresh strawberries).

After our first night there, we were gone the whole day but when we returned the room had been left untouched, no one had been in to make the bed or anything. That didn't really bother us, but it's the sort of thing one comes to expect staying at B&Bs in that price bracket.

Finally, after our departure, I received a terse e-mail informing us that our credit card had been charged for half the cost of a new "feather bed" (I think she must have meant a down mattress topper) because she claimed to have found a urine stain on it. I explained that my daughter had set an improperly-closed water bottle on the bed which leaked a bit (I touched the bed and it was slightly damp, but not soaked by any means), and I had meant to mention it when we checked out but had forgotten about it (I found out that my grandmother died that morning, a fact of which she was aware, and needless to say had other things on my mind). I said that If it smelled, it must have just been the smell of wet down, as I've noticed a peculiar smell when I've washed down duvets before, and the smell disappears once it's dry. Her very rude reply was "I am not a forensic scientist, it smelled like urine, I could not use a wet feather bed for that night’s rental. Too bad you did not mention this spill on your departure and it would have caused us all a lot less grief." (that's copied directly from her message). Not a very nice way to treat anyone, particularly a client.

If I ever learn that the Telegraph House is under new management I might go back there, although it wasn't great value for money ($165 per night, plus an extra $40 to make up the single pull-out couch for our daughter - we ended up bringing a child's air mattress for her - which is steep for a destination like Port Stanley).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
18 Thank DKG80
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We arrived in Port Stanley, tired and hungry, late in the day. We were unimpressed with another B&B we checked out -- one we had first found on a website (clearly websites can be deceiving) -- so we took a chance and looked around. Thankfully, the Telegraph House had a free room. The owners couldn't have been more accomodating. The room and bathroom were spotless, the comfortable bed decked in luxurious white linens. A menu with a delicious assortment of hot breakfasts greeted us the next morning (included in the price). We were served on a wide, beautifully restored, covered gallery that overlooked a well-tended, sunlit garden and the harbour across the street. What a splendid start to anyone's day! The owners have taken care of every detail to ensure their guests are comfortable. It's a business that is clearly a labour of love for them.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Saint Thomas
Westminster
Hampton Inn by Hilton London

Been to Telegraph House? Share your experiences!