“The resort caters to smokers!”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We just got back from 6 days at the resort. The island is beautiful & the resort would be worth the money if you don't mind cigarette smoke in most open or simi open areas. There is free wifi in the lobby along with pool tables, but smoking is allowed there. You cannot get away from the smoke in the open areas, & people would even lite up in some closed areas. I talked to the manager about it & he said 50% to 70% of their guests smoke so that is who they cater to. If you want decent liquor it will cost you extra. They have awful tequila & cannot make a decent margarita or mojito. We just stuck with rum which is made on the island. Capri was good, Calabash was ok, Silk & the buffet were not good. There is decent snorkeling off the beach, but a lot of seagrass. My kids wanted to scuba dive. We went to sign up the 1st day, were told they needed 4 people & would get back with us. We never heard from them. Some employees were friendly, but most were not. We won't return unless the smoking policy changes.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Venadogrande
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Venadogrande...thank you for your comments...all of our guests feedback is important. When we met you told me that your family was having a great time but the fact that smoking was allowed at all on the resort was unacceptable to you. I did tell you we have a fair percentage of people who smoke as guests and that it is a difficult balancing act to keep everyone happy. I was forthcoming that the policy is clear on this issue; Closed Air conditioned areas - No Smoking - open air areas smoking is allowed. The lobby as you are aware is an open air venue. The thing with Policies is they change as people and trends change and as a non smoker I cant wait for the day that nobody smokes anymore. our comments on this issue are truly valued.

However your comments on the alcohol are unfortunately somewhat misleading; All inclusive Beer/ Liquor Brands; Heineken, Stolichnaya, Chairman Reserve, Johnnie Walker, Jack Daniels, Canadian Club, Dewars and so on...by request we do have an Ultra Premium shelf of Patron, grey goose that we charge guests our costs ($3)...high standard All Inclusive Brands by any standard...Not going to find these brands included at our competitors.

We are proud to say we have the most highly regarded staff and the best food. I am truly sorry you did not find that to be the case.

We wish you only the best in your travels and thank you again for your comments

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (6,198)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Myself and my partner took our first ever holiday abroad together and all-inclusive holiday to the coconut bay!

We fully enjoyed our holiday the staff were amazing and there is always something to do day or night. There were 6 of us in our wedding party and everyone enjoyed it to the fullest.

The three reservation restaurants served fantastic food Silk being our least favourite and Calabash being totally out of this world.

We made use of everything that was on offer including the four swimming pools, waterpark, beach, grassy areas and huge lounge area. Our favourite activity was snorkelling and kayaking which is where we met Linus who is very funny. We enjoyed his company so much that we made it a daily routine to say hello.

Our wedding coordinator Onita was lovely and took everything we said perfectly - our wedding decorations and bouquet was beautiful and matched our colour scheme.

Kendall our photographer took beautiful pictures and we couldn't be happier with the outcome. We enjoyed having a laugh and joke with him.

Jarron our videographer was very professional and filmed a sort of story of our day that we will be able to watch over and over again. The DVD is perfect and captured every emotion of our beautiful wedding. We can't thank him enough for his efforts.

We had already booked into a Junior Suite in the Harmony section so unfortunately for us because the hotel was so busy we were unable to upgrade into a honeymoon suite which was slightly disappointing.

We also had some spa treatments and bridal hair - all the ladies here were amazing and the massage and hair were fantastic.

All reception staff were terrific along with guest services who were around whenever you needed them and always walked round with cheery smiles - Daniel was around to see us off in our taxi back to the airport to go home, this brought our two week holiday to an end and we cannot wait to get back there for our first wedding anniversary next year and to see everyone again.

Once again a huge thank you from Craig&Cherrie :-)

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank CraigCherrie

Dear CraigCherrie..thank you for your review and Congratulations!! We are so grateful to be able to have hosted your celebration. We will definitely pass along your gratitude to the team members that you mentioned. They are all superstars...We will anxiously await that 1st anniversary visit! Enjoy married Life

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel staff did not seem very happy to be there. They were rude for no reason and were constantly talking badly about people to each other in creole. Unfortunately for them my family and I also speak creole. This made for some interesting times, although once we responded to them in creole we were able to diffuse the situation with a few laughs. We also explained to one lady that although the majority of your guests may not be able to understand you, you would be surprised to know who actually can. The food was mediocre at best, with the best night being "Caribbean night", which should probably be expected. I have had traveled to several different all inclusive hotels, and for the price this one just did not live up to expectations.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank EvaGurl

Dear Atlanta...We are truly sorry you did not experience the best we have to offer. I apologize for any staff member who spoke Creole in your presence. We have a very strict English only policy in the Resort for the staff. We will reiterate this to each staff member again. I can not begin to understand why the celebrated charm of our team members did not reach to you. All I can do is apologize. Day in and day out this team strives to exceed all of our guest expectations and we are truly hurt when we fail to do so. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to wow you.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked a two week stay at Coconut Bay Resort and Spa through Tropical Sky, as a package for our wedding and honeymoon. Some friends and family booked to be there with us so we ended up being a sizeable party at the hotel.

We had high hopes for the hotel because of the good reviews and because we had high expectations of St Lucia as a holiday destination. Happily we could not be more delighted with our experience.

We arrived at the airport on Saturday 31st May, and were met right outside the baggage hall. We didn't have to wait at all before the transport took us the very short drive to the hotel. The experience checking in was very pleasant and efficient and we were in our room in no time. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was lovely and spacious.

We were in the adult section and didn't go to the waterslide area, but there were three very nice pools for us to choose from. The adults only pool is very small, only big enough to sit around in, but the sunbeds and hammocks around it are a great place for peace and quiet. We used the other two pools, the activity pool which you can swim around in and the sunbeds around it are a great place to chill out; and the splash pool which is nearer the bar with music playing. Both were great places to spend the day sunbathing and drinking cocktails. The beach was very nice as long as you don't mind a bit of seaweed.

We tried the speciality restaurants and the Italian place Capri was OK and we weren't that impressed by the Asian restaurant Silk. The Caribbean restaurant Calabash though was fantastic, and we had our wedding meal in there where the food and service were perfect. In general we tended to use the main restaurant, which was the usual all-inclusive buffet format but a really high standard. In two weeks we were never bored with the food, even if we used it for breakfast lunch and dinner. There was always a good choice with very high quality. If you get a chance you should try the saltfish when they serve it at breakfast.

By the time all of our party arrived there were ten of us but we always got a table and sunbeds, and were always well taken care of. The team at the hotel always went the extra mile, and even laid on a special meal of curry goat and roti when we asked. We have to give a big thanks to Chef P and Tyrone for laying on fantastic meals.

All of our group loved the hotel, and no one could really find fault with anything. One of us had to get help in their room because of a slight fault with the back doors, but it was sorted out very swiftly.

We generally found that underneath the laid-back Caribbean exterior, everyone was working hard to make sure we had a fantastic wedding and holiday, and we were able to relax and enjoy our time while the excellent Barbara made sure our wedding was perfect. The team organised excursions and entertainment which we all enjoyed. Staff were always trying to make our stay as pleasant as possible - the cleaner didn't just sort our room, she would also leave us a nice note to cheer us up or interesting towel sculptures (thanks Shirley!).

The atmosphere around the hotel was very friendly and informal, with the staff enjoying their time as much as us - work hard play hard. We found out that country and western music is very popular in St Lucia, which was a bit odd, but there was plenty of reggae and fun nights, and parties by the pool. A highlight was a live show of reggae and country, when Mark the leonine general manager of the hotel had a guest spot doing some surprisingly good covers of old hits.

The day of the wedding was perfect, and summed up our St Lucia experience because it was a beautiful location by the sea, went off without a problem and was just the right mix of friendly and traditional. We have some wonderful lifelong memories and could not say enough about how well it went.

We got a chance to experience the rest of the island a little, some of our group more than others, going on excursions to the volcano and the rainforest and mudbaths, and out to the town to soak up the atmosphere.

At the end of the holiday we were sorry to leave but properly rested and having made some new friends. We would recommend this hotel to anyone, especially for those looking to get married abroad. You could not ask for a better four star all-inclusive resort and great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank DevJam
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My experience at this resort was simply perfect. The only complaint is that the time spent was too short. The resort caters for everyone, with Harmony for adults and Spalsh for families. The water park is on Splash's side but it was not overcrowded at all. Couples should always take one of the rooms with an oceanview as it is quite spectacular. The food was delicious and I particularly apprecaited the variety from which to choose. I highly recommend trying one, if not all, of the restaurants for fine dining...it is just a matter of calling to make an appointment. The overall surroundings create such a peaceful and romantic ambience. The Resort on the whole has a lot of activities to occupy one's time. This all-inclusive resort is really worth it and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paula R
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was my first time to the Caribbean for my best friends wedding and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The resort, the staff, food and cocktails were great. The entertainment team and pool & beach and Bar staff were very friendly and Samanfer, Skyla and Leary even managed to get me to participate in the Caribbean Dance Class which was great fun and glad I did it even though I don't have any rhythm (at all) but was great fun watching them teach us (if only I could move like that).

My 10 year son also enjoyed himself but was a bit disappointed that he was only able to play football as the daily activities were for 12+ years and the kids club although up to the age of 12 didn't really have that many older kids going.

One other small thing - I have no complaints about any of the food but would have preferred to see more Caribbean dishes served.

Overall - blimming amazing and am defo coming back soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Went here last year with my family and had a great time. Loved that it basically was next door to the airport so it was literally a 2 minute drive from the airport!

The bartenders at this place were awesome. Sean, Melton, and Mitch especially! By the second time we went up to them on the first day, they knew what drinks we wanted. All had a smile of their face and were fun! Pools and resort kept clean. Loved the tables in the pool with umbrellas...plenty of shaded areas if you like getting away from the sun a bit plus a cool place to hang out with your drinks to meet people.

Food was pretty good, better than other all-inclusives I have been to. Loved that the grill was right next to the pool bar, so as soon as I wanted a quick bite I could jump out and get something, no need to dry off or anything! And that food was awesome, had some good wraps, burgers, fries, pizza, anything really!

The beach was really rocky and since it was on the Atlantic side of the island it was rough waters, we didn't go in the water or spend time on the beach really at all the whole time. So if you're a beach person that might be a downer, but we only really spend time at the pool bar or playing pool volleyball anyway!

LOVED the hammocks poolside right by the beach! Took a nap in one of those babies every day. The breeze off the water kept you nice and cool in them and kept the bugs away at night!

I went on a ziplining excursion with my father and sister and loved it! I felt safe the whole time and we got the coolest views of the rainforest. I even felt safe enough to take some pictures as I was zipping! My whole family (mom, dad, sister) did another excursion of the waterfalls, volcano, and hot spring mud baths, which was AWESOME, felt soooo good! They also took us snorkeling at Sugar Beach, which has an inlet so it's nice calm waters as opposed to the resort. St. Lucia is truly a beautiful island and this excursion really lets you see it all! Only thing that was a downer about this excursion -- since St. Lucia is very hilly and has a lot of cliffs, the van ride was veryyyy nauseating. I've never been one to get carsick, but I came pretty close a couple of times. *bad memories* but I didn't let it ruin my day!

My sister and I also paid Paintball on the property! That was fun, except the person who runs it didn't show up until 45 minutes after we were supposed to start. However, he was very apologetic and compensated by giving us extra paintballs and time, which was extremely nice.

Now the rooms -- they need work. I felt like I was in the 80s just by looking at the TV. Listen, on vacation the only time I am in the room is to get ready for dinner and to sleep, but you still gotta be modern at least a litle bit. The beds weren't really that comfortable, and the room was got at night.

Right off of the balcony outside of our room was a big lawn that they had donkeys just chilling on. They were very friendly donkeys, I must say, and they love apples! There were some cats on the property that were very creepy and looked sickly to the point where I had to start choosing different routes back to my room to avoid them. Also, lots of frogs at night which means no walking on the grass late at night.

Activities at the pool: there was a sign up sheet, but it never seemed that the staff really got the games going. You basically showed up and if it happened, it happened.

The nightlife really wasn't that great either, with the exception of karaoke night, which still ended at 10pm, and then there was nothing else to do.

Very nice place overall, pretty good bang for your buck!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Anse Chastanet
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!