“Wonderful family holiday”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Firstly the location is great if you have kids as it's 5 mins from the airport. You don't hear many planes at all. The beach is quite rough by that means the breeze is lovely. Yes the hotel could go with a lick of paint and updating but our boys 8, 9 and 10 saw past all that and just loved it all. That made happy parents so we had a great time. The Libby was beautiful and the food had loads of variety. Great value for money too :) staff were lovely :)

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Wilkins67
Write a ReviewReviews (6,127)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just returned from a week at this hotel and it was set in the most amazing location ever! Sitting soaking up the sun on a 'sun tracker' sun lounger overlooking - literally! - the ocean was truly bliss. The hotel staff were mostly fantastic - so friendly and pleasant and nothing seemed a bother. Food was fantastic and plentiful with such a wide variety on offer, all freshly cooked and some made to order, delicious!! Cocktails -mmmmm! Some of the yummiest I've ever tasted. Was a bit sceptical about the 'Dirty Banana' but, boy, that was fab! Our room was in the Harmony side and was a 'deluxe' but I have to say I wouldn't really consider this deluxe - it was ok, but nothing special. Overall, I would definitely go back and stay here, it really was paradise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays
1  Thank Thomsonh9
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Having returned 3 weeks ago from this fabulous resort we are still singing it's praises, we didn't want to come home. My niece Rosemary and i Pamela had some unforgetable moments during our 2 weeks stay, and as i have stayed at many caribbean islands i can honestly say this exceeded all expectations. We met some great people whilst we was in resort and have some wonderful memories that we can keep forever. we found the food in all restaurants to be the best we have ever had. All the staff in these were always ready to have a laugh. Marys omlettes were delicious as was the ice cream at lunchtime. All entertainment staff was wonderful and Samanfa was so sweet always had a chat. Mellisa such a sweet girl we shared lots of little laughs. Our room was on the Harmony side and we enjoyed breathtaking view. Genavi looked after us very well, The pools were always clean and not crowded. Dean and Javid did a great job and encouraged me to go down the big slide which i have wanted to do for years, thanks lads. Lennita Billy and all reception staff were fun and very helpful. A special message to Ken "we aint got nobody" he'll know. Sherlanda who was our lovely friend and a very talented girl we hope she is happy and still singing, we are. The entertainment was very good and we had lots of sing alongs.
Lastly Mark General manager who we first met at the weekly Duck Race "we won both weeks 2nd and 3rd" was really friendly and we had a real good time with him. We've not forgot the promise even though you laughed at our camera. we hope we can come back to this great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank nursegladys2010
Reviewed 15 July 2014

It has been a month since our trip and I still can't stop thinking about it. We stayed at Coconut Bay June 7-14. My husband had never been out of the country before so we were both excited to travel internationally together. When we first arrived, I must say we were slightly disappointed. It was very hazy and the water was much rougher than I had expected. The lobby was nice but we could tell the rooms were probably pretty dated. Our room decor and layout was actually very modern and very clean and we got sweet notes from Pearle when she cleaned our room. Once we explored the report and settled in, we quickly felt bad for being so judgmental of the resort. The staff truly makes up for any area of deficit. We were so impressed by the staff and how friendly everyone was. We made many friends and were sad to say goodbye after seven days. My husband was very fond of Big Ted, as he always had a Dirty Banana ready for him. Throughout the week we grew veery fond of the bartenders. Kay was AWESOME. She was always laughing and smiling and dancing. She was electric and I miss her energy. Corry kept my husband and I laughing all the time along with many of the other employees at the swim up bar (Dilan, TC, Morgan).

As for the food and food service, we were pretty pleased. We had champagne with our breakfast every morning and Sheremos served us on a couple occasions and remembered to bring us champagne. He would come say hello to us anytime we were in the Coconut Walk (buffet). I got tired of the buffet but there was always something there for me to eat. Calabash is by far the best restaurant there. Oracia was our server both times (we asked for her the second time). She was a doll and spent a lot of time talking to us and getting to know us. The food wads also amazing. I ate the most delicious garlic filet. I would recommend eating there more than once. We ate lunch at the beach grill most everyday. Everything was really pretty good. Silk had the most fun atmosphere (very zenful), but the food was mediocre. Capri was better than I thought and it was nice to be outside and close to the lobby entertainment.

The pool and beach were nice, but I wish the swim up bar wasn't shaded because pool was already considerably colder than the ocean. There were several pool options, but the most convenient to the beach, swim up bar, and ocean was the main pool on the splash side of the resort. The beach is small but still pretty and tropical. We turned our pool chairs to face the ocean and felt like we had the best of both worlds. I loved having the option to lay in a hammock near the ocean too.

Entertainment- We arrived on a Saturday afternoon. We didn't have dinner reservations anywhere and happened to see them setting up several tables around the pool area. They have a country hoedown every Saturday. There's a huge buffet setup out in the lawn with carving stations and tons of food. We live in Tennessee, so we could have done without the country theme (not our thing and we get enough of it back home anyways) but the idea and presentation were great. A lot of the staff members truly love country music too, so it was fun to see them enjoy it. My favorite night was Caribbean night on Monday night. The food was set up the same way but with different options. There were many wonderful performances ranging from music to dance to stilt walking and breathing fire.

Excursions- We wanted to do two excursions on our honeymoon. We did the Land and Sea tour which was AWESOME!!!! Definitely a well rounded excursion and way to see St Lucia. We also signed up for the $30/pp shopping trip to the Castries. The problem was that there was a 5 person minimum and at that point only my husband and I had signed up. I checked with the adventure staff every day to check to see if anyone had added to our trip and no one had. On the night before the trip was supposed to happen, I checked again. They told me they tried calling my room to inquire about splitting the cost with another couple but they couldn't get a hold of us so the other couple decided to do a private tour (which is almost 6 times more expensive). I was really upset that we missed an opportunity bc it was our 8 year anniversary as a couple and was sad bc we didn't answer our phone because we were by the pool all day. I checked everyday to see if anyone added..of course we wanted to split the cost. But we worked a trip out with a local on the beach and toured the entire island for half the price.

All in all, we loved this place and would totally go back. Saint Lucia captured my heart.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brooke M
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our background: Early 30s married couple. From USA. First vacay away from 1yr old baby. 5th all-inclusive trip visited between the 2 of us . Not world traveler's by any means but have been around enough to have a feel for things. Pretty laid back-easy going-easy to please couple. Not a ton of preferences. Just looking for a place to lay out pool-side/beach-side and read during the day and have a drink and people watch after dinner. Returned from a 6day/5night stay.

PROS:
-Lovely views-the landscape was gorgeous. Blue water. Surrounding mountains. Would love to see more of the island in the future.

-Proximity to the airport-literally 4 minutes. Super important to me after being offered 'free transportation' in the past just to be shuttled around for 3hrs while we dropped dozens of people off at neighboring resorts. To be safe we paid for private transportation this time but it wasn't necessary at all. Other planes arrival/departure wasn't a disturbance to us while we were poolside but on avg. 4/day I'd say will take off/land.

-Food-better than/on par with what you'd expect from an all-inclusive. Nothing to write home about but we found a few things that we enjoyed and usually ate those. Particularly, Emee was an amazing French Toast maker and a very joyful employee.

-Sun dial chairs at adults pool. The adult pool was our pool of choice w/ less chaos/children and they had these fun chairs that if you were lucky enough to get out early enough you could lay on. Very comfy + umbrella + table and can turn throughout the day w/ the angle of the sun. (the beach wasn't huge so not really a nice option of staying out there all day)

-Rooms-we stayed on the 4th floor-beautiful ocean front view. Honestly better than what I was expecting we'd get. A normal size (maybe on the small side). Very small bathroom. Clean. Great housekeeping service. Cleaned every morning before we got back from working out/breakfast. Restocked water bottles were great.

CONS:
-Service-If you're from the US, particularly the South, you'll understand when I say we were hoping for Chick-fil-A service and received McDonalds. After several convo's w/ my husband we agree that the overall vibe of the people that we encountered at this resort was apathetic. We're not ritzy, don't desire to be waited on hand and foot, etc. but if you want service with a smile, this is not the place for you. Often times we felt as if we were inconveniencing people if we asked to be seated for dinner, to have a drink, etc. We think that this may just be the culture of the island. Also, unlike places we've been to before, this was not a tip-driven resort. We came fully prepared with singles to tip employees as this typically assures better service but because there was seemingly no rhyme/reason to how people were to help you at bars/restaurants it didn't matter to waiters how long your food took or if you needed a refill.

Systems-this also falls under the category of service. But the system by which they take reservations at restaurants, seat you at the main buffet and serve you at the outside grill are all very inefficient. Again, this may play into our being from the US but it just didn't make sense to us.

Overall:
The service alone made it so that we will not be recommending this resort to any of our friends/family. When people have asked about our trip our response is that we're so glad we went-were able to relax and have some time away, but it wasn't quite the experience that we were hoping for. We're fully aware that this may be due to the service that we've had at much cheaper, closer resorts in the past. We did ask ourselves what our take away would be had we not ever visited a few of the places that we have in Mexico. We feel happy to experience different cultures and see new parts of the world but it just makes it difficult to save only to take a trip like this every 2-3years for it to not just be amazing.

Room Tip: Top floor (only 4)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VacayBae
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Vacay...thank you for your stay and your comments...we thank all of our guests for their feedback as it helps us shape our direction in the future...I would like to say that the St Lucian culture is not apathetic at all and I am sorry that you got that impression. I have had the privilege of working in 5 islands and 7 countries and I must say that the Lucian people are some of the most hard working polite and proud workers I have had the privilege of working with. I truly apologize this did not reflect in your experience.

Wishing you the best
Mark

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I traveled the first weekend in June 2014 with my boyfriend. The reviews by everyone on here were pretty much spot on. The food in the buffet was def the best food I've ever had at any all-inclusive resort and I've been to 5 others throughout the Caribbean. I dont really know what people expect sometimes when they go to a resort that's not a 5 star and the price reasonable. You get what you paid for, just make the best of it.
Even at the specialty restaurants the food was amazing.Definitely enjoyed them alot, Silk and Calabash. The staff was very friendly and the bartenders were alot of fun. I'm blanking out on the name of the guy who checked us in (has glasses) but he was very nice and helped me use their phone when I didnt have service. There's definitely something to do here for everyone close to the airport which is key after a long flight. They have a free shuttle to the resort. They have an adult only pool and bar on the other side of the resort if you need some quiet time. There are chairs and hammocks everywhere so you won't have any trouble finding one. The landscaping in the back of the hotel rooms could be a little better and maybe more sweeping done underneath the trees by the slides but not a deal breaker. We ended up doing the Island Buggy tour and had the best tour guide ever. Can't say enough nice things about him, he made our trip. Please note, this is the southern side of the island and not the caribbean so if you are looking for calmer waters, you may want to try the western coast. I would definitly come back to this resort again as we had a great time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bigla122
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I just returned from a seven night stay with my family (including an 8 year old and a 5 year old). The reviews of the hotel are spot on. Disregard the ones where someone got mad over something and then claim C-Bay is the worst hotel on the planet (it's not) and those reviews that say it is the greatest beach resort ever (to be fair, it's not)- and focus on the rest of the reviews. In my opinion, C-Bay is a laid back, non-pretentious place to have a great vacation where all of your reasonable needs will be satisfied. The staff is friendly (and plentiful) and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The food was better than expected, and at times, fantastic. That being said, do not confuse C-Bay's TripAdvisor rating with an actual star rating. C-Bay does not hold itself out to be, and is not, a 4 or 5 star property. But you are not paying 4 or 5 star prices either. What you get at C-Bay is a fabulous value proposition. Now on to the specifics.

Rooms: We stayed on the Splash side of the hotel, so I will only focus on those amenities. The hotel building is four stories. All the rooms enter from the island said and the back on the rooms face the pool/ocean (with a lanai or balcony). Other than varying bed configurations, the only advantage to the higher floors is a better view. I liked our room (Room 425) a lot (the trundle bed was great for the kids and left a king bed for the adults), but we were not in it all that much. Consider what the view is worth to you. If you are looking to pinch pennies, this is a place where you could do it and not sacrifice much. While the room bathrooms have recently been refurbished, they only have a stand up shower. If you are looking for a soak tub, you are out of luck. Take advantage of the on-site self-service laundry. It is less than $5 a load (wash and dry), including laundry soap. With checked bag fee of $25 or more, consider this as a real option and leave some clothes at home. On a related note, we found that swimwear could dry out overnight.

Food: Lets be fair, no one has ever based their all inclusive vacation based solely on the quality of the resort's buffet. But this one was actually quite good. The selection is broad enough for everyone to be happy. Things do repeat (even in a week's time), but you can work around it. For breakfast there is a create your own egg station as well as a french toast station (Emmee, all of us will miss the french toast) and a crepe station. There is a smoothie bar as well a wide selection of baked goods and pastries. For lunch there is a make your own pasta bar (Emmee, I am not sure how I am going to not keep feeding my children pasta now), a panini bar as well as create your own stir fry and more desserts than you can eat (including cold slab ice cream). For dinner, there is the pasta station, some manner of meat/fish theme from the grille, soups and again, a huge dessert spread. I would compare the buffet favorably to any upscale (Hilton, Hyatt etc.) U.S. business hotel out there serving a breakfast or lunch buffet.

We also ate at each of the three specialty restaurants (get reservations as soon as you check in). Calabash was clearly best in ambiance and food quality. Given that the food is Caribbean fusion, this should not be a surprise. Eat here. Silk was the only disappointing food I had all week. My comment is sort of like going to a sea food place and ordering Italian. It just doesn't work. It's not bad, it's just not worth getting dressed up for. Capri was surprisingly good. It's outside and if you table is out of the breeze like ours it can get a little stuffy, but the food was really good. I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. All of the restaurants are not open every day (at least they were not on my trip). So if you have to choose between the three, skip Silk. The pool grille served better than expected bar food (burgers, sandwiches, wings, fries, salads, etc.), on demand. The made to order pizzas were also good.

The wind: Yes, it blows, all the time. The good news is that as a result, the humidity is completely tolerable. After you go you will understand why it is kite surfing destination.

The ocean: The hotel is on the Atlantic, not the Caribbean Sea. Combine that with the trade winds, and you get surf. It's not scary surf, but it's not calm light blue waters either. I took my 8-year old on a two person kayak on a day with 20 mph winds. She loved it. So non-motorized water sports are a real option. There are several break waters in front of the hotel. I was comfortable with my 5-year old playing in the water with supervision. There is seaweed. They try hard to keep the beach combed, but you can't fight the tide and expect to win.

Activities: The pools are plentiful and not crowded even when the resort was. The best lounge chairs get taken early - plan accordingly. The kids loved the water slides but spent more time in the lazy river than probably anywhere. We waited for an inner tube one time in seven days. I would recommend that a few more be acquired for peak times, but it was generally not an issue. The formal daily activities lead by the entertainment crew are plentiful, varied and put on with enthusiasm. I learned more about cricket than I thought possible. The new petty zoo is cute. Our kids loved going out to feed the donkeys and the goats. The evening entertainment was also good. There are performers from various genres performing nightly. But the shows end before 10:00 pm. If you are a night owl, I think you are going to fend for yourself. Coco Land was also a hit. By the middle of the week, my daughter was asking to spend several hours at a time in the kids center.

Staff: In a word, fabulous. The airline lost my wife's suitcase and it took two and half days for it to make it to the hotel. The entire front desk staff (Ed Evans, Billie, Fenton and others) all did everything they could from talking to baggage folks at the airport, keeping us advised of what was going on and even had a load of laundry done for us at no charge. They made the best out of an unfortunate situation. But in addition to this particular instance, generally, everyone I ran in to had a smile on their face and seemed to honestly care that I was having a good stay. It was refreshing.

To sum it all up, I think the best way to express my thoughts about the resort are that we are planning our next trip already.

Room Tip: All the Splash rooms face the ocean. The higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!