“GREAT RESORT”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed for a week with my family in July. It was stunning from the time we landed till the time we took off. No lines No waiting at the Airport, everything went very smoothly. The resort is very close to the Airport so it was a quick ride after a long flight. The Staff was excellent. The food was fresh and lots of choices to choose from. The liquor was Top shelf and BIG Ted is the best bar manager around.
The children's club was bar none. Activities every hour all day long. My daughter had a excellent time there. They also have a kids swim up bar with character named drinks!

I travel all over the World and this so far is the best bang for your buck with or without children.
Not a bad thing to say. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The bottom floor has walk out access to the pool and the beautiful grounds.
2  Thank Pete Y
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Pete Y,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. It is great news to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you and your family found the Kids Klub to be such a positive experience that you wrote about it. The team at the Kidz Klub are some of the most thoughtful and caring individuals I have had the pleasure to work with. Thanks and I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We just returned from a great week at Coconut Bay. The location so close to the airport was great. As soon as we came out of customs there was the Coconut Bay kiosk and a car waiting to whisk us over to start our vacation. As we stepped out of the car at the lobby we were greeted to a nice rum punch (non-alcoholic for the kids) which was refreshing after the flight. At check-in we were told our room was not yet ready (we arrived at 2, check in isn't until 3) so we walked around and then had a nice lunch in the buffet restaurant.
We got the keys to our room 308 at around 3, and headed up. I was told our bags would be brought up, and after waiting 15 minutes we decided to go get them ourselves. The kids were so anxious to get to the pool, we needed our bathingsuits!
We stayed in the 3rd floor of the Splash side, a room with a king bed and a daybed/trundle for the kids. These were not made up when we arrived, and I called the desk to ask to have them made up. We went to dinner and when we returned they still weren't made up, so we called and someone came right away. Not a big deal, but if the room is booked with kids coming in it should be ready to go. Everyone was pretty tired after the long day of travel and ready to crash!
The pool area was large and we didn't have any trouble finding a spot to sit at any time during the week. It was lovely to sit by the pool with a view of the ocean. The waterslides were a lot of fun for the kids, as was the lazy river. We also took advantage of the activities pool with scheduled volleyball and water polo games. We also some days sat down at the beach, again no problem finding a lounge. They work very hard to clear the seaweed each day. My family also took advantage of the kayaks available at the beach. The beach volleyball games were fun to watch as well.
My daughter went to many of the scheduled activities at the Cocoland Kids Club. It was mostly fun for her, the only disappointments being the times that activities were canceled due to lack of people signed up.
The pool bar was excellent - Stephanie, TC, Dillan and the rest kept us happy with great cocktails. They were also so nice to the kids.
The Beach Grille was great for lunch. The pizzas were very good, and Melee made great chicken sandwiches and burgers. My daughter loved the popcorn and chips and salsa.
We ate dinner at the buffet a few nights, mostly because the first night we were too tired, and another night I was too late making reservations. Not all of the restaurants are open every night so be sure to check the schedule. The best night at the buffet was Sunday, they had an excellent prime rib with au jus. They always had a pasta bar as well. We ate breakfast here daily. It is basic, but good. I loved the omelettes. The food was always being turned over, nothing sitting for very long in any of the trays. The staff was working very hard to fill water glasses and get you whatever you needed to drink.
We ate dinner at Calabash one night, which was excellent. We had steak and lamb. My daughter was able to get fries with her steak which was nice. the room was very pretty. We also ate at Silk one night and really enjoyed it. Kevan was a great waiter. We tried to go back to Calabash but as I said it was fully booked.
We also ate at the two theme nights. The country & western night was outstanding in the food department. The bbq was great, and the sides were as well. It was nice to sit outside on a breezy evening. The Caribbean night was less successful strangely, there wasn't a lot of things that anyone in my family enjoyed.
In response to rosie Silverstone - I was there that weekend that you were there. There was unfortunately a loud group that were in the room right next door to me. They made a LOT of noise all the time, and even banged on my door at 2:30 am mistakenly. Things quieted back down after that. It was mostly quiet except for those two nights. The upper floors have been refurbished at the splash side, and the lower floors are being scheduled to be re-done.
The reason I give this a 4 not a 5 is that it wasn't over-the-top great. It was very very good for a hotel in this category. One thing that would make my experience better would be if there was more attention paid to keeping the place clean. Every time I sat in the lobby there were empty cups, and rings from cups all over the tables. Not a deal-breaker, just not that great either. Also, the midgies. They would swarm around at dusk or when it was still and would bite. We never went out on our balcony because of them. We didn't want to let them into our room. As long as the breeze was blowing, which was about 90% of the time, it was fine. Also, while I have no problem with the fact that there's a shower not a bath, the shower curtain was not helpful in keeping the floor from becoming soaked. Maybe glass doors would be a better option. The lip of the shower isn't high enough to keep the curtain in.
The staff really do make this resort a fun place to be. We enjoyed talking to many of the staff, and they were always so nice to the kids. Thank you to Evan who really helped us out with some broken goggles!
We would love to return to Coconut Bay! My kids had such a great time meeting other kids from all over the world. It was a great experience for them.

Room Tip: Upper level has a beautiful view of the pool and ocean.
2  Thank spbos14
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed here for one week and had a great time. My room, in the harmony section was clean and comfortable. It is slightly dated but kept up. The food was excellent. Chef P went out of his way to please us. We had one member of our family who could not have any fat or fried foods. He would go out of his way to make something that was perfect for her. The entertainment staff is wonderful! They try each day with different activities. My favorite was Samanfra. She sort me out all the time and made me laugh. I felt she was part of my family. The children's park was excellent for all the young kids. One part of this resort that I enjoyed was that it never seemed crowded. There was always chairs near the beach or pool. I didn't have to reserve chairs early in the morning. The only part that I didn't like was the beach. The water was rough since it is on the Atlantic side and the amount of seaweed that accumulated. They had to use bulldozers every morning to clear the way. All in all, it was a wonderful stay for me and my family. I thank all of the wonderful staff who were all pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: I would stay in the Harmony Section if you are all adults. The Splash section can be noisy at times...
1  Thank Antoinette L
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Antoinette,

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to make your stay with us a great one. We are happy that you enjoyed your dining experience and overall had a good time at Coconut Bay.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked a weeks trip to St Lucia at The Coconut Bay Resort for myself and husband and 20 year old daughter from 19th-26th July. The Reviews were positive in the main . I have recently been to Barbados and Cuba but this Hotel far exceeded the Hotels we stayed in- even the 5 star Cuba Hotels. Quite simply the Hotel is fantastic.
From the minute we stepped on to St Lucian soil we were greeted with the phrase "Welcome to Paradise" I now understand why this is so true. The hotel is close to the airport and lets face it who wants to travel another couple of hours to a resort after a long flight? Somehow the planes overhead are never a problem, probably due to their infrequency.. The whole Hotel is very clean and this includes the Rooms. We stayed on the third floor Harmony adult side. The rooms were spacious with verandas and fully stocked mini bars .The adult beach was very idyllic tastefully laid out with hammocks raised deckchairs even beds . Fresh towels are available and a bar and pool for adults only. In the afternoons staff come round with fresh fruit skewers.The gym and Spa are conveniently located in he adult section . A stones throw away is Splash the family section which has lots of activities for children and the wonderful lazy river.
There is a great variety of food most of which is freshly prepared with healthy options available such as fruit Smoothies The buffets are lush meal time is a treat. There are Speciality Restaurants(which have to be booked) Carribean/Asian/Italian -All superb. Drink -undulating lovely choice of cocktails. There is wifi available in the lounge and this is where everybody congregates especially in the evenings when there is the nightly entertainment- which is of a high standard.. St Lucia is breath taking and there are lots of places to visit although watch out when driving for some of the bumpy roads The Review is about the Hotel and it is the people that make it such a wonderful place,,,. The Staff bend over backwards to help. They are all friendly and accommodating and want you to have a great time. Unlike other Reviews I am unable to name every member of staff though Emee at the French Toast stand was lovely as was Justine, Denny and Benjamin Thomas (who manages the Italian Restaurant)
Credit must be given to Mark the Manager. He is a friendly, outgoing charming man who mixes with the guests, eats in the main restaurant with no airs or graces. This man has business acumen and vision. He and the Management team believe in constantly striving to attain more for the guests in terms of better experiences and more amenities.
How can you better Paradise I think to myself..?. but I am sure that when I return- somehow my experiences will be even better.....

6  Thank gillie l

Dear gillie I,

Thank you for your comments, the team is grateful for your visit and even more that you enjoyed your stay. Tourism in St Lucia is so important and each of the staff has you our guests to thank which is why they work so hard to make your holiday the best!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I can see there has been many positive reviews of this resort which is why we chose to stay here. I can only give you my personal experience from staying in room 103.
First the positives:
Overall resort is ok, the kids enjoyed the waterpark
Breakfast was excellent, lots of choice
Lunch choice was good
Snack bar was open all the time which was good when the kids got peckish
Now for the negatives:
We booked a Garden view room which we subsequently found out were ALL on the ground floor. The main problem with this is there are no nets in the window and with a main pathway in front of the patio doors meant you had absolutely no privacy whatsoever and we had to keep the curtains closed (which were filthy). The room decor is extremely dated and had a strong damp smell, this was very noticeable as soon as you walked through the door, it just felt really grubby and dark. There is no bath tub to wash young children so you will need to sit them in the shower cubicle with a curtain which leaks everywhere.
For 2 of the 3 nights that we were there they had 2 functions set up on the lawn directly outside our window. One was a huge barbeque night which was literally around 5 metres from our door, so another fun couple of hours keeping the curtains closed unless we wanted every man and his dog looking in the room. It was like being in a damp depressing cave. The room was also situated next to wooden stairs to access other floors and often you would hear drunk people shouting and clattering around which woke us up constantly for the 3 nights we were there. Where we were situated was certainly not family friendly. Make sure you go for the rooms on the outer edge away from the centre of the resort, it should be much quieter there.
We asked to be moved and would have been happy to pay for an upgrade but there were no rooms available and were told to keep going back at different times to check availability. I think if we were on the Harmony side we would have had a much better experience as all the rooms have been refurbished - but the money has been invested on the couples only side. Splash (the family side) is in a time warp.
The beach was a no go zone as it was covered in seaweed and 2 tractors were constantly going up and down trying to clear it.
We decided that we had no choice but to transfer to another hotel as we just couldn't bear to stay there any longer. I have read some of the managers feedback and I am expecting a strongly worded response but as I said this was OUR experience of staying in room 103 and quite frankly it was awful.
After being charged a £300 cancellation fee by the hotel we transferred to St James Club further up north. Thankfully it turned out to be a fabulous resort so my advice is if you get the chance, change it before you end up in 103!

Room Tip: outer edge and upper level rooms (3 upwards). Do not go for the garden rooms near the main resort.
3  Thank rosiefSilverstone

Hi Rosie, thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am truly sorry that Coconut Bay did not live up to your holiday expectations. You are correct - All Garden view rooms are on the first floor which allows you to walk right out to the pools and beach. I have just visited room 103 and I agree with a few of your comments. We will giving this room a full refurbishment in September. We have one or two rooms on the splash side to complete and 26 on the Harmony side to complete...Your comments regarding the sheers are noted we are looking to install a less transparent sheer for the first floor on both sides to allow for the sunlight to come in but not the passing eyes. It is comments like yours that allow us to continue improving. The entire team extends their apologies that you relocated during your stay. We hope that after our final rooms refreshing in September that you will allow for us to show you the true Coconut Bay stay...Please contact me personally if you are thinking about allowing us another opportunity to WOW you. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Overall nice resort. Great food (both the buffet and the specialty restaurants). Very friendly staff. I usually go to the caribbean for the beach (the clear and calm water). The beach was horrible at this resort. It was extremely windy, the water was very choppy and there was a constant flow of seaweed, seagrass and anything you can imagine that grows in the ocean coming to the beach. There was a bulldozer cleaning the mess practically all day. Imagine going to St. Lucia and look at a bulldozer all day at the beach. When we went into the water all kinds plants were constantly touching you and made us very uncomfortable. Don"t go to this resort if you like the beach.

Room Tip: Stay on the top two floors
4  Thank Kourken M

Dear Kourken, thank you for taking the time to post your review. Your positive comments about the hotel are appreciated. We have had a very unique phenomenon over the period that you were here... There is a seaweed bed far out in the Atlantic that floats around stuck together and it is larger than the entire united states...It is called Sargaso...occasionally when there are strong weather disturbances like tropical depressions or hurricanes parts of this Sargaso Seaweed Bed break off and the residual heads for land with the tide....yes it is overwhelming, yes it messes the beach up for a few days and yes it is unfortunate that it happened while you were here...In my two years at Coconut Bay this was the second occurrence. We do everything in our power to clear the beach as fast as physically possible...We do apologize that this had a negative impact on your holiday...We hope you will visit us again

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Fabulous holiday … and superb hotel….. best holiday to date for us (mid July). We loved the beach and the watersports, and Pedro and Linus of the watersports centre were fantastic, helpful, great fun and they made the holiday for us. The kids loved the kayaks and paddle boards, with just enough waves to make paddling extra fun. We all snorkelled daily in the warm shallow water of the Coconut Bay reef and loved the windsurfing and kite surfing – thanks Guys ….. even had a huge Hawksbill turtle nesting on the hotel beach while we were there (see our photo). When we weren’t on the beach we were at the pools and while Javid was always working he never missed a ‘High five’ with the kids.
…. And the food, everyone mentions the food at Coconut Bay which was great, and the specialist restaurants were simply out of this world ! Rooms were good, spacious and had effective quiet air-con, but the Family rooms needed 2 single beds for the kids instead of a ‘queen’. The close proximity of the airport was a bonus for transfers (5 mins), and so few planes each day that it was an interest to see them take off.
Thank you Coconut Bay for a fantastic holiday …Way beyond our expectations for an all-inclusive hotel …... We’d recommend you to anyone !

5  Thank J and P

Dear J and P,

Thanks for posting your review on your stay here at Coconut Bay. Its really great to hear such positive comments on the team here. They work hard everyday to ensure each of our guests enjoy their stay. We are glad to see that you were able to take in some of the water sporting activities at the Resort. I will be posting your response in the staff break area for all to read.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vieux Fort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Anse Chastanet
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!