We booked this trip as an all-inclusive package from Air Canada Vacations, and chose this property because of the many online positive reviews. It is the only resort in the South of St. Lucia, and also the only one to have an Atlantic, rather than Caribbean, beach. Ocean swimming was not a factor for us; if it is for you, note that the waters here are rougher, and the beach has more (but avoidable) rocks than the resorts North of Castries.
Ocean swimming aside, this is a resort of pools, from a large activity pool, kids having fun pool, to an adults-only pool. In fact, one might almost consider this two resorts sharing a common lobby, dining room, restaurants, gift shop, and some bars. Effectively all the area in front of the adults-only wing is reserved for adults, with it's own (small) pool, bar, lounge chairs (the latter including perhaps a dozen sunning pads for two that can be rotated to face, or face away from the sun, complete with umbrellas), and very attentive waiter service, bringing not only beverages as asked, but circulating with snacks.
Our room was on the 4th floor concierge level of the adults only wing, and had a very comfortable 4 poster bed, luxurious lines, and a seating area with a couch, mini-bar (kept stocked), and a small but adequate for two balcony. Aside from keeping the room supplied with wine and a choice of mixes and hard liquor, at 4 p.m. each day a small snack tray was delivered to the room, usually with some fruits, pastries, etc., or small sandwiches. Room service was usually efficient, and invisible, except the odd time we were left without towels, but a phone call to the guest services desk remedied that, usually within minutes.
The snack service was welcome, but not necessary. The dining room, which is buffet style, has at least 40 hot dish stations, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and there is a grill that daily offers at least two of meat or fish grilled to demand, a soup and bread station with two soups and a half dozen breads, and a pasta station ,also a dessert station (which includes a marble slab ice cream dispensary, a great hit with kids), as well as pastries and fruits. There is also a non-alcoholic beverage station, for tea, coffee, hot chocolate, milk, soft drinks, and juices, and for adults, circulating wait staff takes orders for wine of beer, and mixed drinks, at both lunch and dinner. The food quality is very high, given the usual caveats with buffets (it is being kept hot, although they use induction heating rather than hot plates or gas flames), and there may be little left of a particular dish, and that a little dry (but the staff is very attentive, and usually within minutes a new, full serving dish would appear). As an aside, the only negative comment about this resort that I found on line was someone complaining that they couldn't find anything to eat - one has to wonder from what planet they were visiting - as virtually any kind of national or diet preference seemed to be catered to; certainly anything North American, British, European, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, you name it, was accommodated.
As well, beyond the buffet, there are three a la carte restaurants, with a West Indian, Oriental, and Italian theme, respectively. These are by reservation, and, a very nice touch, families with children can only reserve the 6:00 or 6:30 p.m. slots; thus if one reserves for 7:30 one is virtually guaranteed a child-free dining experience. The quality of the food in these restaurants was of the same high standard as in the buffet, and all manner of beverage choices were available, including a decent wine list beyond the (very good) house wines (at extra cost).
Dining variety was enhanced by two weekly outdoor dining nights (but one could still dine at the buffet or in the restaurants) at pool side. One was paired with a Caribbean dance show, including stilt walkers and fire breathers, For that evening, side dishes were available from hot casseroles at several "food cart" stations, and two cooking stations run by competing chefs, trying to become the "chef champion" of the week with at least two, but more like three, dishes and sauces. The champion was determined by the applause of the diners. Another outdoor evening was based on a "country and western" theme (who knew that St. Lucians are crazy about country and western music). Food was self-serve from the usual "food carts". For both these, circulating wait staff took care of drink orders.
For those staying in the adults-only wing, there was a third outdoors dining night, by invitation and RSVP, at tables around the adults-only pool. This was a waiter service event, at least three courses; the food, given the challenges of serving perhaps 200 guests outdoors, of excellent quality, and very innovative.
A note on the entertainment. While of excellent quality, the acts are (at least they were for 2+ weeks we were there) on a 1 week rotation. So, if you stay for more than 1 week, be prepared to see the same thing over again.
A qualification on my note that this is a "romantic" hotel. True, but you have to stay in the adults-only wing, which can be very romantic, in your room. But, dining will be with families with children, and the central lobby and bar area will be full of little people. But, St. Lucia itself is conducive to romance; as always, your mileage may vary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on 85 acres, Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa offers two worlds in one prominent oceanfront setting along St. Lucia's exotic south coast. Located closest to the international airport and the island's most exciting attractions, this all-inclusive resort features: 250 air-conditioned rooms, complimentary WIFI, 8 restaurants plus beach grill, 7 bars including swim-up pool bar, 5 pools (including 2 adults only), 1 mile of beach, complete fitness centre, oceanfront spa, the island's largest waterpark, supervised Kidz Klub, paintball, kitesurfing, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, daily activities, nightly entertainment and much more! Designed to please all ages, this casually Caribbean, incredibly all-inclusive retreat is perfect for singles, families, couples, weddings or honeymoons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Bay Resort St Lucia
- Coconut St Lucia
- St Lucia Coconut Bay Resort
- Coconut Bay Resort All Inclusive
- Spa Coconut Bay
- Resort Coconut Bay
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort St Lucia
- Coconut Bay Resort Spa St Lucia
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa St. Lucia/Vieux Fort