“Home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lion's Den

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coromandel
Lion's Den
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Our plan was to stay here one, maybe two days, but ended up staying for four nights! Beds are comfortable and the rooms are spacious and clean. The owners (mother and son) are really nice and welcoming, and happy to show us around, or grabbing a couple of beer at the pub on the corner. The common areas are inviting and theres a lot nice little places to hang out. Might be a littly messy around, but i felt more at home. Good kitchen area. There's a really nice and relaxed atmosphere. Good place to stay!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Really lovely place... Very homely and comfortable - good beds! Well equipted kitchen and chilled communual spaces... Pretty gardens. Friendly owners. Definitely recommend it, shame we only stayed one night...

• Stayed January 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed here quite by chance and I could not be more thankful! The place has just been taken over by new management 11 days prior to my visit, but you wouldn't have guessed! The owner Sy really made everyone feel completely at home and nothing was too much bother. The beds were the most comfortable I have stayed in and the hostel itself is so quirky, I fell in love with it. The kitchen is well equipped and the communal areas are cosy and spacious. The area is beautiful and Sy even brought us to a stunning spot for a sunset swim! My only disappointment was leaving :(

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I loved this place - Edy was friendly and accommodating, and it is so eclectically decorated.

Had a lovely vibe to it and was very relaxed. Coromandel Town itself is a pretty place to tuck yourself away from it all for a few days, too.

Room Tip: Sleep in the Zebra room - it's nuts!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Hexham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I found this in the BBH guide. When I turned up, I met Si, new owner with his mum, only here for the past ten days.
It's a great little hostel with some fabulous features and I feel sure the new owners will keep all the lovely things that make it so comfortable and improve on the things they see that need improving.
I had a wonderful few days in the little outdoor cabin, with hostel facilities a few feet away. Just the wind down I needed.
Good luck to the new owners!

Room Tip: Ask for the elephant house! Best wifi I've had in ages too at $5 for 24 hours
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed here back in December 2009 It ruined my holiday.
I had to wait a least 20 - 30 minutes to go to the toilet first thing in the morning, due to shower and toilets being together. I went to the owner to ask if i could use their's as I was desperate. She didn't care, told me to wait. I wasn't the only one waiting either.There were also three other people.
After the couples finally emerged from the two choices of bathrooms. There was hostility between the backpackers. I couldn't get out of the place fast enough.
If the management had been understanding this could have been avoided. Maybe the toilet facilities have been improved? But no doubt the attitude will be the same.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jackie T
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Saw it in Lonely Planet and thought it sounded like a quirky place to stay for our night in Coromandel. Edy was great, very welcoming and friendly. Our african themed double room was small but clean and comfortable and we had a great night's sleep, although the walls are a bit thin so we could hear other people as soon as they were up and about in the morning. Shared bathroom facilities are ok. Shared kitchen and living space is great, with plenty of places to lounge about and a large wooden table for everyone to eat at and share stories over breakfast. We found out lots about the local area and good fishing spots from others round the table. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple