“Fabulous Motel”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Whakatane
Hastings, New Zealand
“Fabulous Motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is a fabulous place to stay. Very spacious, comfortable and clean units, wonderful water pressure in large showers, and the free wifi actually works! The bed was very comfortable and we had a great nights sleep. We had a very pleasant stay and will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mooloolaba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was one of our most memorable stays in a motel. The rooms are really big, the facilities excellent, and the beds so comfortable. It was my husband's birthday the day we arrived, and as we sat outside enjoying a birthday drink, the owners came down with a piece of cake for him. They, and another guest in the motel, joined us for what was a great late afternoon/evening celebration. The motel is only a few minutes from the centre of town, and a short drive to Ohope Beach. We would certainly recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night - wish we could have stayed longer!
We found the rooms to be very spacious, very clean, and the bed was super comfy too! Had a wonderful peaceful nights sleep!
The spa bath in our room was fabulous.
Enjoyed free unlimited FAST WIFI, which at many other places is limited to only 100mb and very slow.
The management were very friendly and professional.
Thank you for your hospitality and we would be sure to stay here again in the future.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We were greeted by the lovely owner who was more than happy to give us any information we needed. The room was very clean and comfortable although you have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom which is a little uncomfortable if you are sleeping in the lounge. A door could be added from the lounge to the bathroom so there would be 2 doors into the bathroom. I'm unsure if this is being looked into. The only reason I would not book again is the noise. The other residents decided to party till 4am and only stopped when I confronted them and made them aware that some people were sleeping. I do not feel that I should have been put in this position. I called the reception first but got no answer. We then had our neighbours up at 5 shouting outside our door. It's safe to say I left in a very tired and grumpy mood. I think some signs up reminding other residents to be quiet might help or some complementary ear plugs. This said, this is only let down by other people. Not by the motel itself.

• Stayed January 2014
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We could hear our neighbours in the next unit as the walls are very thin. As they got up early to go fishing that was an early start for us also. The bed was comfortable. There is no light above the dining room table. Although they deliver newspapers to the units they forgot to give us one on he second day. How come motel managers cannot get these small things right?

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Maxine M, Owner at Barringtons Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Hi
In response to your comments. sorry the next room was too loud. We would have been more than happy to approach them to quieten down if we were aware.
The newspapers are complimentry and although you did not receive one on your door, I believe you received one as soon as you asked.
I'm glad you found the bed comfortable. Many guests comment on our comfy beds.
Wanganui
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Best sleep I have had for years. First time I have woken up without neck and shoulder pain in a very long time thanks to the excellent pillows and bedding in this first class, extremely clean and roomy unit at this immaculate motel. The best ever range of teas and coffees too. Management and staff are warm and friendly and very helpful. We were delighted with our stay here and would definately recommend to all. We have stayed at quite a few motels this year around NZ and I would rate Barringtons as tops and very good value for money spent.

Room Tip: Rooms in back of motel very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thames, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We spent two nights at this motor lodge and found the unit very clean and well set out. A bonus to have free wifi although I did have a few minor problems getting on line. They were soon sorted a good range of tea and coffee and milo. My only grumble would be when I was showed the unit ( 2nd back from road) I commented about traffic noise and the owner commented he'd had no complaints. It's a very busy road and we stayed a Friday and a Saturday night. We'll the Friday night was like living beside a motorway the traffic was terrible all night . Saturday was a lot better. I do admit to living on a very quiet street but if I were to stay again would DEFINITLY ask for a back unit. Not far into Whakatane and very central.

Room Tip: Stay at a back unit opposed to the three at the front.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family