“Beautiful rooms, not worth the money, ripped off at every instance”
Review of Constance Halaveli

Constance Halaveli
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halaveli Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful rooms, not worth the money, ripped off at every instance”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had a mixed experience at The Constance Halaveli - for $1,400 per night you have certain expectations and these were not met.

The room was good, but not great given the price and comparable properties. The worst thing about the resort is the feeling of being bent over at all stages. You're a 60km sea plane ride from Male, so you could say a monopoly exists on the island. The way this resort uses it is why most western countries have competition and consumer protection law.

Before I continue I'll put upfront we pay for a lot and do not mind spending money - $15 cocktails are the norm in Melbourne, and we spend more travelling than most people I know - when I complain about pricing here it is not that we're not used to world or high prices...

After paying $1,400 + tax per night! and $900 for the sea plane trip things here are so expensive we didn't want to participate (and we're not cheap - we forgot sunscreen, a small bottle was $47. A beef burger is $38 + tax. The sunset cruise is $85 per person + more for all the drinks you have. A boat to Male is $1500. Dinner is a buffet or at least $300 per night. An experience dinner on a private island is $1250 per person, to have a romantic beach dinner without wine is $1000 - prohibitive pricing). If you're not willing to spend this there is very very little to do as most activities are let's just say have monopolistic pricing - this gauging ruined our holiday Astor the first time in a long time we've chosen not to do things because they were price prohibitive. Not fun when you've paid a fortune to fly to Male and another in room rates.

Further, the attitude is one I'd expect from a $200 per night resort, not one catering to clients who can afford the $1,400 rate. On two of our three nights there was a buffet + only one other restaurant (no issue except there are at least 200 people and the non buffet seats 20).

We flew from Australia for 3 nights. Our flight departed at lunch time on day 4. The resort insisted we leave at 5:45am Male time arriving for 6 hours in Male airport. Not good enough for $5000 for 3 nights.

Expect your bill to equal the room rate every night if you want to do things like eat. Ours did.

All that said Halaveli is a perfectly nice 5 star resort. The reef is amazing, the beaches are post canard beautiful.

I was surprised at the amount of rubbish both floating (it looked like garbage was dumped into the ocean - a lot of floating garbage a few hundred metres off-shore - we suspect this is not from the resort but from the village on an island in sight). Building materials, tyres etc. dumped and sitting on the sea bed are unwelcome surprises.

PROs
- overwater villa is beautiful - almost perfect
- Local staff (Maldivans) are fantastic

CONS
- you obviously get gouged at every step
- the attitude is not catering to clientele
- food - not a high point
- UHT milk (ok hard to blame the hotel, but who wants a UHT latte??)
- Nothing is included, everything is very expensive
- floating rubbish and underwater dumping of building and other materials
- there is a breakwater around the island making it hard to swim out
- some staff are particularly unhelpful and say more suited to a mass market hotel
- expect a cruise ship experience - you'll be dumped at the airport in Male (no lounge, no AC, not exactly HK or the Qantas First Lounge) 7 hrs prior to an international flight because it suited the hotel not to pay for another seaplane (despite it costing us $900 for the transfer).

In all ok, but I am not coming back. Leaving somewhere feeling ripped off and bored isn't what I like taking home from a vacation.

Room Tip: The overwater villas are special and definitely worthwhile - it is a trade off between privacy (the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank mflucas22
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post your views on Trip Advisor and to share them with other users.

I am sad to read how you feel about our resort and wish to state that some of the prices you wrote about are not correct. Also please allow me to comment on some of the points you mentioned.

I believe you are well aware that luxury hotels and resorts in the Maldives do not come cheap. The very remote location and the extremely high taxes on many items contribute to end prices. Halaveli is by no means over the top, but rather completely in line with all other luxury environments here.

The dinner prices are USD 96 +10% Service Charge per person for our very generous buffet dinner at Jahaz Restaurant and the A-la-carte prices for the other restaurants are regular prices depending on your individual choice. Unless you are including wines, the prices are certainly not USD 300 per dinner.

Regarding the special destination dinner, please allow me to share with you that our dinner experiences on the beach cost between USD 215 and USD 265 + 10% Service Charge per person. A special dinner experience on our private island Aliko’Rah ranges between USD 550 and USD 1250 + 10% Service Charge per person. The USD 1250 All-Night-Pampering-Package includes: private speedboat transfer, welcome champagne cocktail, tailored made menu, private chef and butler on site, bathing ceremony with petit fours and deluxe turndown service from housekeeping, and champagne breakfast on the next morning.

On our island we have our main restaurant Jahaz, which is opened every night and offers a buffet to our guests. In addition we feature our Meeru Beach BBQ Restaurant (weather dependent), our overwater elegant restaurant Jing, specialised on Asian fusion cuisine, and our In Villa Dining Service as another option available 24 hours.

Further to your seaplane flight, let me share with you, that we do not hire or pay for planes, but each guests pays USD 446 per person per roundtrip. The arrival and departure timings depend on the overall schedule as each flight also might land at other hotels and resorts on its way from or back to Male. We always convey to our seaplane partners to arrange ideal timings for our guests, however now and then waiting times might occur.

Halaveli has never received any bad comments about rubbish before. We pride ourselves to be a very clean island and to respect the marine sea life to the fullest. In the very moment that rubbish appears on and close to our island, we immediately clean and dispose it, hence we are cleaning rubbish which is coming to us from other places such as local islands, ships, etc. Severe weather conditions and strong currents contribute to this.

The breakwaters around the island are an absolute must at our island as it prevents our beautiful beaches from being washed away.

Thank you very much for your comments about the reef and the beaches and as well for mentioning that we are a perfectly fine five star resort. Once again, we are certainly sad to have any guest leaving our charming little island in an unhappy stage, but we invite you to refer to the many amazing comments and reviews posted by our guests on Trip Advisor.

Respectfully,

Renato W. Chizzola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed in may 2013 Exceptional Hotel, Luxrious property with the best water villa design in maldives, friendly staff specialy mahmod in the Bar, Hassan in Meeru and Ameen in house keeping, the hotel has a lot of variety water activity, thanks to all staff made my vacation Exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank AHMED832011
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli and thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor!

The entire Constance Halaveli Team and I are pleased to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Mahmod, Hassan and Ameen and the whole team sincerely appreciate your kind words.

In the name of all of us here on Halaveli, I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our little island on your next visit!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I chose Halaveli after being recommended it by Jo from Angelfish Travel (Maldives Direct), and I couldn't thank her more for the recommendation.

I wanted somewhere with ultimate privacy for me and my wife who observes the Islamic dress code, and the Beach Villa (we were villa 17) exceeded our expectations.

The beach villas are huge, above 350sqm, around 2-3 times larger than competing resorts, and have a totally private plunge pool, outdoor showers and his and her taps and dressing tables, and a large outdoor bathtub. You also have multiple beach loungers and direct access to the beach which is usually quiet with maybe one couple within a few hundred yard radius at any given time.

The resort was quite far from Male requiring a 30-40 minute seaplane journey, but the hotel's luxurious waiting lounge at Male airport made the journey worth it.

We did pay a lot for the honeymoon, but it was worth every penny and a truly once in a lifetime experience.

I would recommend Halaveli and in particular Angelfish Travel to anybody looking to go to the Maldives.

• Stayed September 2013
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Constance Halaveli Maldives and thank you for sharing your lovely comments about our magical island on Trip Advisor!

We simply love to have honeymooners on our island and it was our pleasure to have you with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our beach villa and its private plunge pool. The assurance of maximum privacy is one of our major goals here and we are more than happy to learn that we were able to meet your expectations.

We sincerely appreciate your kind words on our Constance Lounge at Male International Airport.

On behalf of the entire Constance Halaveli Team, I would like to personally thank you again for your valued feedback and we are truly looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Halaveli.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I booked this place last minute and went in with high expectations. Unfortunately we were quite underwhelmed. The property and villa was nice, we'll appointed (accept for the sandpaper-like villa pool edge). The issue was the service. Late with most things, staff entering our villa without knocking or warning, slow and cold food delivered and a general lack of urgency with our simple requests. The worse thing was that two nights in a row reception told us all restaurants were full... end conversation. No effort here to provide five-star service. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Choose another resort. They all do the same thing. Some however do it better. If you must stay, choo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Glenn M
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli Maldives and thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback with us and the entire Trip Advisor community!

Firstly, I was sad to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations and I apologize personally if you encountered some shortcomings within some of our services.

I would like to thank you for your compliments regarding our property and the villas. I was pleased to learn that, despite the fully booked restaurants, we were able to accommodate you in Meeru and Jing Restaurant. However, I do note that it took more efforts from our side to do so. I trust that you enjoyed the refund we have granted you towards your dinner. Sameera, our Jing Restaurant Manager, would like to thank you again for all of your lovely comments and he sends you his best regards.

Furthermore I realize that you experienced some hick-ups during your departure. We would be truly pleased to welcome you back to Halaveli in order to demonstrate you the feeling of the majority of our guests regarding this beautiful little island. Should you wish to do so, please do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can assure that we incorporate all of your preferences prior to your arrival to Halaveli.

On behalf of the entire Constance Halaveli Team, I would like to thank you again for your review on Trip Advisor and we wish you a sunny and pleasant day!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

A late review on this wonderful paradise! Stayed for 5nights for 1st Honeymoon destination in the Water Villa with Private Pool. Room was simply great! You can also jump into the sea directly from your balcony! Housekeep made a special touch by using towels to make a stingray and placing them on bed with rose petals! Overall experience was superb and highly recommended for Honeymoon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli and thank you for sharing your review with us and the whole Trip Advisor community!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our beautiful water villas with direct access to the sea. Our housekeeping service truly appreciates your kind words regarding the “special touch” given to your villa by bed decorations with towels and rose petals.

On behalf of all of us here on Halaveli, I would like to thank you again for your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back on Halaveli – maybe for your first wedding anniversary!

BKK, Thailand
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We chose this hotel based on the review here. We were not disappointed at all about the hotel itself ( the airport's lounge, the room, the atmosphere, cleanliness, the view, the sea, and the food at Jing). The service was just ok ( some staffs were excellent, specially the housekeeping service). I won't talk more about how great the hotel is as I agree with many reviews here that it's superb.
Stay here fulfilled our seaplane experience, which we agreed that we will not take it again if not necessary. It was exciting at first, but the heat and tiny cabin just made me feel uncomfortable, specially when it landed on the rough sea (it's raining and windy when we arrived at the hotel). Worst thing happened at the last minute of our stay with the delay of our departure flight from the island, which almost caused us miss our international flight. We arrived at the check-in counter just 5 min before it close. Thanks to driver of the hotel bus. It seemed that almost every one wanted to blame it on the nature. With the clear blue sky at the time we were waiting, we were in doubt. We were in doubt even more after had waited for an 1.5 hr and saw the arrival of the plane with the hotel's management executives. The hotel staffs knew that we were going to miss our flight, but we still had to wait a while to board the plane. The process seemed to be a bit longer as there was a long line of hotel staffs waiting the greet their management. This would have been fun thing to watch if we had not waited there for more than an hour and had not had a plane to catch. So, just be prepare to experience a little excitement of the delay.

Room Tip: Choose the odd no room if you need privacy. The higher the number, the more private. But if you go t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TW1977
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli Maldives and thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and the entire Trip Advisor Community!

The entire Halaveli Team and I are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our different facilities such as the airport lounge, your room and the Jing Restaurant and that you were delighted by the atmosphere and the view on our magical island in the middle of the sea.

At the same time I am sad to read, that your departure experience was not as expected and that you faced some difficulties regarding your international flight. Please allow me to share with you, that the overall flight schedules is made by our partner The Maldivian Airtaxi Company and we do no have any control over their timing and service delivery. However, we sincerely apologize should our welcome procedure have caused you any inconveniences.

On behalf of all of us here on Halaveli, I would personally like to thank you again for your valued comments and we look certainly forward to welcoming you back to our little paradise on your next visit!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I will begin by saying that no matter how much praise I give Constance Halaveli, it will never be enough to fully capture how wonderful it is.

My husband and I knew we wanted to go somewhere tropical for our honeymoon and were both intrigued by the Maldives, even though we knew it would be a longgg trek from Vancouver, Canada. Nonetheless, we decided it was a once in a lifetime trip and that now was the time to do it. We researched different resorts on TripAdvisor endlessly for weeks, when we finally came across Constance Halaveli. What initially captured our attention about this resort was the spacious water villas and the private pool, which many other resorts didn't offer. We decided to take a gamble and book it not realizing what a goldmine we had come across.

When we first arrived in Male (the capital city), we were immediately transported to the Constance lounge, where we would wait until a seaplane was ready to pick us up. The lounge was beautiful, with tropical decor, free wifi, and a buffet of food and drinks. Unfortunately, there was a delay in seaplane arrival that day so our stay in the lounge was almost 3 hours, but the Halaveli staff was very accommodating and offered to make us a hot lunch because of the long delay, even though it was not their fault.

Once the seaplane came, we were immediately transported to our island, which took about 40 minutes. Personally, even though there is beautiful scenery along the way, I did not enjoy the sea plane as it is very tight, lacks air conditioning, and smells like gasoline. But, since this is the only way to get to our island, I would say it's well worth it!

My first impressions of the island are unforgettable. You see a lot of pictures while you're doing your research, but nothing compares to the feeling you get when you see the white sandy beach, crystal clear water and tall palm trees in person. It truly is like no other place on Earth! We were immediately greeted by the Halaveli management team when we landed and then given a tour of the island via golf cart. The island is a nice size, and has everything you would need: a gym, children's area, gift shop, a beach bar, three restaurants, a diving centre, a water sport centre, etc. I would say that it's a great choice for people who plan on spending most of their time there to relax (eg: honeymooners) over those who are craving a lively party atmosphere as you would get in Cancun, etc.

Our favourite part of the resort was our fabulous water villa #83! We were the last water villa on the odd side meaning we had the most amazing sunset view unobstructed by everything else. The villas are HUGE and have every ammenity you could dream of: huge shower, big bathtub overlooking the ocean, double sinks, double walk-in closets, a huge comfortable bed, flatscreen TV, ipod dock, endless movies on demand, music, books and a huge deck with two loungers under a large umbrella, an infinity pool and a small table for outdoor dining. We spent most of our vacation in the privacy of our own villa since it had everything we needed and more. Although it was about a 15 minute walk to the island from our villa, it was very easy to call reception and have a cart come and pick us up. Reception was very helpful and would do just about anything you asked of them. You never felt helpless at Constance Halaveli! The cleanliness of the room was immaculate and the room was tidied up twice a day for your comfort. We had an amazing room boy named Faiz who always ensured we were taken care of......his presentation of the room was amazing and we always knew when we had been to clean.

In terms of activities, I was satisfied with the variety, while others who are more into water sports may not be. We tried snorkelling a few times, which was fun, but we didn't get to see too many sea creatures since the current was quite strong. Snorkelling equipment was free to rent from the diving centre. All non-motorized water sports like paddle boating and kayaking were also free to rent, which were fun activities. Additionally, excursions were also offered a few times a day for additional costs. We went on the sunset cruise (AMAZING if it's a clear day), star-gazing cruise (also amazing on a clear day) and the dolphin cruise. All of those excursions took place on the same dhoni boat and became a bit repetitive after a while, even though they were all fun. I would recommend doing one or two only, maybe leaving out the dolphin cruise since you're not even guaranteed to see any (we didn't). There are also many other snorkelling and scuba diving excursions offered, but I can't say much about those since we never tried any. In terms of nightlife, there is no nightclub at Halaveli. We found the island to be quite dead in the evenings, with the exception of the restaurants in the early evening. One of the nights we were there, there was a sunset beach party on the island which was fun, but we found the overall vibe to be newlyweds who were quite happy to just keep to themselves. We also booked a spa treatment...a couples massage....which was amazing. The spa staff are professional and friendly and the whole experience is very enjoyable! Go a little early before your treatment so you can enjoy the hot and cold pools and the steam room.

Let's talk food. All of the restaurants were fantastic. The breakfast buffet at Jahaz everyday was consistently good, but it would have been nice to have a bit more of a change everyday as the menu got a little repetitive. The made to order omelettes were fantastic! We ate at Meeru once and their food was really good as well, catering heavily to meat eaters. Jing, which is the fancier restaurant, is one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. We had made reservations for our last evening and requested a table on the patio (which gives you a beautiful view of the water at night). The service was amazing and the food was even better....I highly recommend it for a nice dinner out! Other than that, we found that for lunches, it was very easy to have in-villa dining as it was cost-effective and nice for afternoons when you didn't want to leave the villa. The average cost of a main course in in-villa dining was about $25, and the portions were very generous. They are also very good at accommodating your tastes and you can pretty well ask for anything even if it's not on the menu.

The staff is accomodating on a whole new level. Everyone treats you like family and says hello and calls you by name. They are more than willing to help you with whatever you need and make sure you are comfortable.

The worst part of our vacation was leaving. It was so difficult leaving a place like Halaveli knowing that it might be a while before you come back. Unfortunately, they weren't able to offer us late checkout which we had requested since we had an evening flight, but this is understandable as occupancy is high. However, they did have a waiting lounge for us to wait in, which had snacks, books, computer, wifi, etc. As usual, our seaplane was late, but again, this had nothing to do with Halaveli, as Maldivian Air is an independant company.

Overall, I can't express what a fabulous vacation choice this resort it, especially for a honeymooning couple like us. You get so much privacy that sometimes it feels like no one else is on the island but you. The service is unbelievable and you get treated like royalty. And not to be biased, but I suspect that Halaveli might have the nicest water villas in the Maldives, because I don't see how anything could be better. Well worth the 25 hours of travel to get there!

Room Tip: T odd side water villas are the best option since you get the most privacy and beautiful sunsets. Th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Reena B
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Sunny and warm greetings from Constance Halaveli Maldives! Thank you for sharing your detailed review with us and the entire Trip Advisor community. We are truly amazed by your lovely comments!

It is always a pleasure to hear that we have succeeded in exceeding a guest’s expectations, as that is always our goal here at Constance Halaveli. Our team prides itself on delivering ultimate dreams in paradise, which is achieved through passionate and dedicated service. Each one of us is delighted that your experience here was unforgettable, and we look forward to making more enchanting memories with you on your next visit to Constance Halaveli.

On behalf of the entire Constance Halaveli Team I would personally like to thank you again for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back in our little paradise soon; maybe for your wedding anniversary next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Halaveli Island
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Kuramathi

Been to Constance Halaveli? Share your experiences!