“Honeymoon in paradise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halaveli Island
Riga, Latvia
“Honeymoon in paradise”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Spent one week of our honeymoon in Constance Halaveli Resort, absolutely fantastic place! Staff very friendly even general manager drive guests with electro car. Villa was outstanding with great view, it was cleaned 2x per day. Every evening different world cuisine, suggest to visit fine dining restaurant just wine card is worth to be there.
Excellent SPA, while my wife had a SPA treatments I had a time for diving, worth to see Halaveli wreck, just 10 min from island.

Room Tip: Water villas further from island has more privacy
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ArtursLV
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli Maldives and thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor!

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and found our villas to be outstanding with a great view. Our staff members were delighted about your lovely comments regarding their friendliness, the cleaning of the villas and the buggy service. We are very happy that you enjoyed your dining experience and our wine selection in our fine-dine-restaurants.

On behalf of the entire Constance Halaveli Team I would like to thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our magical island on your next visit!

Dominik Kuenstle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

A truly heavenly experience. Maldives is like a dream. The beaches and water here are gorgeous. A view that takes your breath away no matter how many times you look at it. We were here for our honeymoon and we have no regrets. It is like living in a dream. However I do think there are a few things which the management can look into improving:

1. Service - local Maldivian staffs were great. They were polite and helpful. However I noticed that some of the staffs at the reception and Jahaz restaurant tend to treat Caucasians better than Asians. I do not expect this from a 5 star resort. Every guest deserves similar treatment and hospitality.

2. Food - generally very overpriced especially Jahaz buffet. It cost us USD 100 per pax which shocked us!Meeru was way better option and value. Jing was expensive but the set up was lovely so we didn't feel that ripped off. Stay away from Jahaz buffet.

3. Reception - when we arrived, we did not get the kinda welcome
we expect from a 5 star resort. We did not even get a welcome drink while waiting for someone to attend to us. Btw we were the only couple that checked in during that time. The next day, we saw some guests arriving and they were all given a welcome drink. Guess what, they were all Caucasians and it was a large group. This obviously wasn't suppose to happen

4. Whale shark excursion - extremely expensive.

5. No butler service. For the same price or lesser, some resorts provide personal butler service.

A few things which I would like to give special mention are:

1. Meeru - My favourite restaurant. Food were good. The desserts were delayed but the staffs were kind enough to waive them from the bill. Nice gesture

2. Jing - Lovely set up and attentive staff. A local Maldivian staff kept attending to us and kept chatting with us. Courteous and attentive.

3. Water villas - Absolutely gorgeous and cleaned twice a
day. Cable TV has lotsa options too.

4. Buggy service - prompt and fast

5. Arrival and departure - Seamless and efficient without having to wait long. The waiting lounge in Male was comfortable and definitely a nice touch. Seaplane came half an hour later than scheduled on the day of departure. It would have been nice if the reception had informed us earlier so we didn't need to rush to check out and spent a little bit more time in the lovely villa.

Overall, we are still satisfied and is truly a memorable experience and vacation. I can't think of a better way to splurge for our honeymoon.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank CheddyChed
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli and thank you for sharing your wonderful review with us and the entire Trip Advisor Community!

The entire Halaveli Team and I are pleased to read that your honeymoon with us was dreamlike and found our water villas to be gorgeous and clean. Creating memorable holidays to our guests is our major goal and we are truly happy that we were able to meet your expectations.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and suggestions several of our services. I am sorry to hear that you did not receive our welcome drink we provide to all of our guests unless they are escorted directly to their villa. Please note, that for us, all guests are valued and since Halaveli itself is a multicultural environment, we do not discriminate any nationalities.

Regarding the prices of the food in our Jahaz Restaurant, please allow me to share with you that extremely high taxes on some items and the logistics and transportation costs due to the remote location of the island, have a strong impact on end prices. I can assure you however, that all of our prices are completely in line with our competitors here on the Maldives.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your valued feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our little paradise on your next visit, maybe to celebrate your first wedding anniversary!

Dominik Kuenstle
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had a mixed experience at The Constance Halaveli - for $1,400 per night you have certain expectations and these were not met.

The room was good, but not great given the price and comparable properties. The worst thing about the resort is the feeling of being bent over at all stages. You're a 60km sea plane ride from Male, so you could say a monopoly exists on the island. The way this resort uses it is why most western countries have competition and consumer protection law.

Before I continue I'll put upfront we pay for a lot and do not mind spending money - $15 cocktails are the norm in Melbourne, and we spend more travelling than most people I know - when I complain about pricing here it is not that we're not used to world or high prices...

After paying $1,400 + tax per night! and $900 for the sea plane trip things here are so expensive we didn't want to participate (and we're not cheap - we forgot sunscreen, a small bottle was $47. A beef burger is $38 + tax. The sunset cruise is $85 per person + more for all the drinks you have. A boat to Male is $1500. Dinner is a buffet or at least $300 per night. An experience dinner on a private island is $1250 per person, to have a romantic beach dinner without wine is $1000 - prohibitive pricing). If you're not willing to spend this there is very very little to do as most activities are let's just say have monopolistic pricing - this gauging ruined our holiday Astor the first time in a long time we've chosen not to do things because they were price prohibitive. Not fun when you've paid a fortune to fly to Male and another in room rates.

Further, the attitude is one I'd expect from a $200 per night resort, not one catering to clients who can afford the $1,400 rate. On two of our three nights there was a buffet + only one other restaurant (no issue except there are at least 200 people and the non buffet seats 20).

We flew from Australia for 3 nights. Our flight departed at lunch time on day 4. The resort insisted we leave at 5:45am Male time arriving for 6 hours in Male airport. Not good enough for $5000 for 3 nights.

Expect your bill to equal the room rate every night if you want to do things like eat. Ours did.

All that said Halaveli is a perfectly nice 5 star resort. The reef is amazing, the beaches are post canard beautiful.

I was surprised at the amount of rubbish both floating (it looked like garbage was dumped into the ocean - a lot of floating garbage a few hundred metres off-shore - we suspect this is not from the resort but from the village on an island in sight). Building materials, tyres etc. dumped and sitting on the sea bed are unwelcome surprises.

PROs
- overwater villa is beautiful - almost perfect
- Local staff (Maldivans) are fantastic

CONS
- you obviously get gouged at every step
- the attitude is not catering to clientele
- food - not a high point
- UHT milk (ok hard to blame the hotel, but who wants a UHT latte??)
- Nothing is included, everything is very expensive
- floating rubbish and underwater dumping of building and other materials
- there is a breakwater around the island making it hard to swim out
- some staff are particularly unhelpful and say more suited to a mass market hotel
- expect a cruise ship experience - you'll be dumped at the airport in Male (no lounge, no AC, not exactly HK or the Qantas First Lounge) 7 hrs prior to an international flight because it suited the hotel not to pay for another seaplane (despite it costing us $900 for the transfer).

In all ok, but I am not coming back. Leaving somewhere feeling ripped off and bored isn't what I like taking home from a vacation.

Room Tip: The overwater villas are special and definitely worthwhile - it is a trade off between privacy (the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank mflucas22
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post your views on Trip Advisor and to share them with other users.

I am sad to read how you feel about our resort and wish to state that some of the prices you wrote about are not correct. Also please allow me to comment on some of the points you mentioned.

I believe you are well aware that luxury hotels and resorts in the Maldives do not come cheap. The very remote location and the extremely high taxes on many items contribute to end prices. Halaveli is by no means over the top, but rather completely in line with all other luxury environments here.

The dinner prices are USD 96 +10% Service Charge per person for our very generous buffet dinner at Jahaz Restaurant and the A-la-carte prices for the other restaurants are regular prices depending on your individual choice. Unless you are including wines, the prices are certainly not USD 300 per dinner.

Regarding the special destination dinner, please allow me to share with you that our dinner experiences on the beach cost between USD 215 and USD 265 + 10% Service Charge per person. A special dinner experience on our private island Aliko’Rah ranges between USD 550 and USD 1250 + 10% Service Charge per person. The USD 1250 All-Night-Pampering-Package includes: private speedboat transfer, welcome champagne cocktail, tailored made menu, private chef and butler on site, bathing ceremony with petit fours and deluxe turndown service from housekeeping, and champagne breakfast on the next morning.

On our island we have our main restaurant Jahaz, which is opened every night and offers a buffet to our guests. In addition we feature our Meeru Beach BBQ Restaurant (weather dependent), our overwater elegant restaurant Jing, specialised on Asian fusion cuisine, and our In Villa Dining Service as another option available 24 hours.

Further to your seaplane flight, let me share with you, that we do not hire or pay for planes, but each guests pays USD 446 per person per roundtrip. The arrival and departure timings depend on the overall schedule as each flight also might land at other hotels and resorts on its way from or back to Male. We always convey to our seaplane partners to arrange ideal timings for our guests, however now and then waiting times might occur.

Halaveli has never received any bad comments about rubbish before. We pride ourselves to be a very clean island and to respect the marine sea life to the fullest. In the very moment that rubbish appears on and close to our island, we immediately clean and dispose it, hence we are cleaning rubbish which is coming to us from other places such as local islands, ships, etc. Severe weather conditions and strong currents contribute to this.

The breakwaters around the island are an absolute must at our island as it prevents our beautiful beaches from being washed away.

Thank you very much for your comments about the reef and the beaches and as well for mentioning that we are a perfectly fine five star resort. Once again, we are certainly sad to have any guest leaving our charming little island in an unhappy stage, but we invite you to refer to the many amazing comments and reviews posted by our guests on Trip Advisor.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed in may 2013 Exceptional Hotel, Luxrious property with the best water villa design in maldives, friendly staff specialy mahmod in the Bar, Hassan in Meeru and Ameen in house keeping, the hotel has a lot of variety water activity, thanks to all staff made my vacation Exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank AHMED832011
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli and thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor!

The entire Constance Halaveli Team and I are pleased to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Mahmod, Hassan and Ameen and the whole team sincerely appreciate your kind words.

In the name of all of us here on Halaveli, I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our little island on your next visit!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I chose Halaveli after being recommended it by Jo from Angelfish Travel (Maldives Direct), and I couldn't thank her more for the recommendation.

I wanted somewhere with ultimate privacy for me and my wife who observes the Islamic dress code, and the Beach Villa (we were villa 17) exceeded our expectations.

The beach villas are huge, above 350sqm, around 2-3 times larger than competing resorts, and have a totally private plunge pool, outdoor showers and his and her taps and dressing tables, and a large outdoor bathtub. You also have multiple beach loungers and direct access to the beach which is usually quiet with maybe one couple within a few hundred yard radius at any given time.

The resort was quite far from Male requiring a 30-40 minute seaplane journey, but the hotel's luxurious waiting lounge at Male airport made the journey worth it.

We did pay a lot for the honeymoon, but it was worth every penny and a truly once in a lifetime experience.

I would recommend Halaveli and in particular Angelfish Travel to anybody looking to go to the Maldives.

• Stayed September 2013
halaveli-res0rt, General Manager at Constance Halaveli, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Constance Halaveli Maldives and thank you for sharing your lovely comments about our magical island on Trip Advisor!

We simply love to have honeymooners on our island and it was our pleasure to have you with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our beach villa and its private plunge pool. The assurance of maximum privacy is one of our major goals here and we are more than happy to learn that we were able to meet your expectations.

We sincerely appreciate your kind words on our Constance Lounge at Male International Airport.

On behalf of the entire Constance Halaveli Team, I would like to personally thank you again for your valued feedback and we are truly looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Halaveli.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I booked this place last minute and went in with high expectations. Unfortunately we were quite underwhelmed. The property and villa was nice, we'll appointed (accept for the sandpaper-like villa pool edge). The issue was the service. Late with most things, staff entering our villa without knocking or warning, slow and cold food delivered and a general lack of urgency with our simple requests. The worse thing was that two nights in a row reception told us all restaurants were full... end conversation. No effort here to provide five-star service. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Choose another resort. They all do the same thing. Some however do it better. If you must stay, choo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Glenn M
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli Maldives and thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback with us and the entire Trip Advisor community!

Firstly, I was sad to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations and I apologize personally if you encountered some shortcomings within some of our services.

I would like to thank you for your compliments regarding our property and the villas. I was pleased to learn that, despite the fully booked restaurants, we were able to accommodate you in Meeru and Jing Restaurant. However, I do note that it took more efforts from our side to do so. I trust that you enjoyed the refund we have granted you towards your dinner. Sameera, our Jing Restaurant Manager, would like to thank you again for all of your lovely comments and he sends you his best regards.

Furthermore I realize that you experienced some hick-ups during your departure. We would be truly pleased to welcome you back to Halaveli in order to demonstrate you the feeling of the majority of our guests regarding this beautiful little island. Should you wish to do so, please do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can assure that we incorporate all of your preferences prior to your arrival to Halaveli.

On behalf of the entire Constance Halaveli Team, I would like to thank you again for your review on Trip Advisor and we wish you a sunny and pleasant day!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

A late review on this wonderful paradise! Stayed for 5nights for 1st Honeymoon destination in the Water Villa with Private Pool. Room was simply great! You can also jump into the sea directly from your balcony! Housekeep made a special touch by using towels to make a stingray and placing them on bed with rose petals! Overall experience was superb and highly recommended for Honeymoon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Warm greetings from Constance Halaveli and thank you for sharing your review with us and the whole Trip Advisor community!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our beautiful water villas with direct access to the sea. Our housekeeping service truly appreciates your kind words regarding the “special touch” given to your villa by bed decorations with towels and rose petals.

On behalf of all of us here on Halaveli, I would like to thank you again for your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back on Halaveli – maybe for your first wedding anniversary!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Halaveli Island
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Kuramathi

Been to Constance Halaveli? Share your experiences!