My spouse and I returned a few days ago from a 9 day stay at the Constance Halaveli Resort and will remember it forever. It's been our first visit to the Maldives, but certainly
not our last one.
With Edelweiss Air from ZRH to MLE (direct), return with Swiss from MLE to ZRH (direct)
Upon arrival we were received by someone from the hotel. We were checked in for the flight with the seaplane, including transfer to the seaplane airport in an air conditioned bus belonging to the hotel. We were taken care of in the hotel's own lounge at the seaplane terminal, where we had to wait about 30 minutes. Time enough to fill out the necessary paperwork for the hotel checkin. We were served cold drinks and equipped with some bottles of water for the upcoming short flight to Halaveli. I didn't see any of our luggage until we were shown our villa. We're not used to this kind of service, as we try to pack only so much gear we can carry on our own.
Upon arrival with the seaplane at the main jetty, we were received by the general manager himself. A representative of guest relations showed us around the facilities by one of those fancy golf carts before we where taken to our villa. Our luggage was already there. Not unpacked, which I would't have liked very much.
We had booked one of the beach villas and were given one facing the lagoon. Premium, we think, is the privacy you get when booking such a beach villa. At least when compared to the more numerous and less expensive water villas.
The beach villa features:
- 350qm private area including building, garden and open air "bathroom"
- Open air bath garden (as the word "room" doesn't seem appropriate here)
- Garderobe with space for your bags and a free of charge safe
- Indoor toilette
- Semi-outdoor shower and additional outdoor shower
- Master bedroom with grand lit
- Wine cooler
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Electric kettle
- Minibar fridge
- Network and power ports for your laptop
- Wireless internet access for your laptop
- Really sophisticated and easy to use entertainment system with the possibility to dock
your iPod and play your own music using an application called "Senuti"
- Private plunge pool either in front of the villa or as in our case in the bath garden
- two sundecks, one equipped with sunloungers and parasol (can be used on both
What we liked the most concerning the villa
- The plunge pool
- Vast space to relax
- For our circumstances extreme privacy
- Directly at the beach
- Conveniant shadow through plant life around the villa
The housekeeping department is very well lead with the supervisor looking after you from time to time and asking for complaints. But of course we had none. The villa and surroundings are usually cleaned twice a day, even the sand at the garden is painfully raked, the pool is cleaned etc.
Service at this resort is really extraordinary, it's what makes the difference, I think. One is adressed by name from day one. The staff is always kind and friendly, but it's also never intrusive, at least that's what I can tell in our case. The staff made the impression of being very well trained and highly motivated.
The staff is always eager to involve the guest in a conversation. But it's never been intrusive! I like that very much.
We enjoyed the buffet at the main restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Depending on your activities you might enjoy the buffet for lunch. But for us it was simply too much.
The buffet was diversified by daily changing themes, which we liked very much. But the chefs there are always eager to prepare you something special, just ask for it.
The dessert part of the buffet is really great! Gotta try it! The pastry chef is always around and will explain the different dishes to you in many different lanquages. But he's French, I think. Desserts containing alcohol are marked separately.
We were, at least I think so, the only german-speaking Swiss people at the resort during our stay. Some guests I positively identified as German, Dutch, English, Japanese and Italian. Rather surprised we were about the number of families with children. There were pretty many for that kind of a resort at the Maldives. Do not get me wrong. We like children very much and we think that this resort is Paradise for children. But there never was disturbing noise or whatsoever. There is even a well equipped kids club just nearby the main reception.
Flora and Fauna:
The Island is not that much overgrown as other resorts. You can see that pretty good when having a look at aerial views of the resort. Very nice mixture, we think.
There are not many (at least flying) insects. We were never bothered by mosquitos as the island is fogged daily and the number of lizards around is high.
The local heron is watching you at the beach, but he's rather shy. No danger for kids. There are some raven-like birds on the island, you should not let your shiny valuables unprotected on the sun lounger.
In the lagoon you may see a lot of baby black tip reef sharks, about 50 cm in length. They come really right to the shoreline but escape when you approach too close. At night or in the early morning you may observe many stingrays in very shallow waters, usually close to artificial light. Several hundred meters out in the lagoon you may see Mantas. The head of the dive centre told me that they were there almost all the time. As we are not divers, we took a pedalo and tried to spot some, but we were not lucky.
- Pumps are used to bank up the shore line near the unfinished presidental beach villa. Therefore sometimes the sea near the costline inside the lagoon is a little unclear.
- The presidental beach villa is still under construction. the general manager told me it should be finished in March, as it is already rented at this time
- Sandbags are used to control sand erosion and bank up some parts of the beach semi-naturally. Doesn't look that good but it still is better than fortify the shore as in other resorts
- Some guests did not treat the staff with proper respect. That annoys me a lot!
Tips and Tricks:
- Fill out the online check-in form, speeds up check-in
- You may state some information such as dietary requirements, what kind of drinks you'd like in your minibar, what sort of wine you would like in your wine cooler, what newspapaper you'd like to read at breakfast etc.
- You may consider not booking half board as it costs exactly the same as eating at the buffet on a daily decision, but you're less flexible
- The restaurants beside the main one often require reservation
- If you're not that good on foot or you're with preteen children you should book a beach villa (or the double-storey things) because the water villa jetty is 850m in length and not secured by a handrail. Nevertheless you can order a ride in those cool golf carts.
To sum things up: A trip absolutely worth the money. We would book it anytime again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxurious hideaway, intimate and magical setting; choose from one of the 57 Water Villas, 10 Beach Villas, 10 Family Beach Villas, 8 Double Storey Beach Villas or the lavish Presidential Beach Villa at Constance Halaveli Maldives. Experience luxury living at Constance Halaveli and enjoy the hotel’s private island setting in the Maldives’ North Ari Atoll. Stroll down white sandy beaches and swim in turquoise water teeming with colourful marine life while children can unleash their spirit of adventure at the Constance Kids Club. Lie back and relax on your own private sun terrace, dip in your own plunge pool, or take time to nurture body and mind at U Spa by Constance.Floating in the North Ari atoll and shaped like a curved Dhoni; (Maldivian boat) Constance Halaveli is a magical place where water and sand lie in contrast to the exuberant green foliage. Indulge in fine food and sumptuous flavours at Jahaz, Jing and Meeru restaurants For palate pleasing cocktails; divine vinous experiences, step in Jahaz, Jing Bar & Wine Cellars Be prepared for a memorable escape at Constance Halaveli Maldives! For ultimate comfort, all villas come with high raftered ceiling, their own private plunge pool and furnished terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Agoda, Holiday Gems, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Odigeo, Destinology, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK) and Travelbag so you can book your Constance Halaveli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Constance Halaveli Hotel Alifu Atoll