“6th Stay at Forest Hills”

Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinlochard
Warminster, United Kingdom
“6th Stay at Forest Hills”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We keep returning to Forest Hills, because it has a timeless ambiance. The executive rooms are spacious and the views overlooking the gardens towards Loch Ard are a delight. They've created a beautiful patio area in front of the hotel since last year to enjoy the views. The surrounding areas are beautiful as well. The staff were helpful and the restaurant was excellent as usual. It's well worth checking out all their offers to get a good deal, We're not too sure if a trip to Scotland would feel right if we didn't keep going back here, it just has the right charming elegance McDonald Hotels try to give, and they usually succeed!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PJandNJ
MoragStark, General Manager at Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Many thanks PJ and NJ for the positive comments that you have given our hotel and we are delighted that you again enjoyed your stay with us. The new terrace has been hugely popuIar particularly with the great summer we have had.
Look out for our new winter whisky package which is coming soon and I am sure you would enjoy!
Morag

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, room excellent, dining room & reception staff very efficient, had a lovely evening meal ( twice ) fabulous grounds with great facilities with fantastic views from the balcony, only downside was the service for breakfast, which on the first morning was a little slow, but on the second morning was none existent! we had to wail for 50 minutes for our breakfast to come, & when it did arrive it was the wrong order! sadly we walked out, this experience did sour our stay a little, but overall we both thought the hotel was excellent, & will definetly return

Room Tip: try & get a room overlooking the loch
1 Thank raygreen96
Dear raygreen96
Thank you for taking the time to psot sucha nice review follwing your visit with us, I am delighted you enjoyed one of our newly refurbished bedrooms.
Please accept my apologies about the service problems you encoutered at breakfast, we have now reviewed our service delivery for busy periods.
The next time you are planning to stay, please email me personally to allow me to enhance your stay.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was second visit to this hotel - first was with husband, this time booked an overnight spa break offer with 3 girlfriends. Spa was fabulous as it is a 'true spa' with tranquillity room so you can spend as long as you like making the most of the pool, sauna and tranquil room in between treatments. Great range of treatments with elemis products.
Dinner was superb - lovely food, lovely wine, good service.
The one drawback you need to go prepared for is no mobile phone service or wifi across the rooms and grounds. Relying on bedroom phones to stay in touch with family at home does not feel right in this day and age.
If you want to escape from city life, this is certainly a good choice with some really good offers available.

Room Tip: request a room with a view of the loch, absolutely breath taking
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ibif
Dear ibif
Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review following your recent spa break with your friends. The new Elemis range of treatments is proving very popular and the relaxation room is indeed a haven of tranquility.
I am also pleased to advise that the company is currently introducing "the cloud" free wifi into all the hotels and we hope to have ours installed in the very near future.
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed in the apartments for a week. We had the "older" apartments while our friends had the "newer" apartments. The only difference really was the decor and the access to the "older" apartment. We were on the 3rd floor (if there was an elevator, I never found it), followed by a walk down a common hall to our room - which meant we heard other guests when they came in or out. The newer apartments were only two story and no common hall. Generally a nice feel to them. The grounds were spectacular - the picture is the view from our apartment. Just a wonderful place to be and relax. Lots of water and hiking activities. We were there in a heat wave of all things which made the restaurant above the swimming pool nearly unbearable. Other than that the staff was helpful and friendly. A good grocery store less than 10 mins by car for all your own cooking.

Room Tip: I would try for the "newer" apartments. I would also be sure to have bug spray for day/nig...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
MoragStark, General Manager at Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Many thanks Laura O for your postive review following your stay earlier this year in our lodges. We have an ongoing programme for refurbishing the apartments and are currently upgrading another four this winter.

Morag Stark
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I really enjoyed the overall experience, but the were just too many niggles for a four star hotel! The first room service was far too slow, 45 minutes for ice and fresh milk, although, the second time i ordered room service it was immediate.

All the staff were helpful apart from one "antipodean" waiter, who firstly thought it was OK to suggest we might be charged corkage when I asked for "extra" ice in the room to chill our own wine. He was also inattentive when we came down to dinner saying "one of the guys will be with you shortly" then proceeded to carry on chatting to said "guy" while we waited to be shown to our table.

The food was a little cold at dinner and one of the two breakfasts, although my husband thought his first breakfast was the best he'd had in a hotel for a long time.

The spa experience was the best I've ever had! A lovely young lady called Kayleen (not sure of spelling, sorry) gave me the most wonderful facial ever! I would give this five stars! The pool and changing rooms were clean and very enjoyable to use.

NO WIFI!! Really poor in this day and age and simply not good enough. To have to pay for BT Openzone, which did not work properly is wrong on so many levels.

Some parts of the hotel looked tired, but I think it's in the process of being upgraded, it was however very clean. The bed was very comfortable. And the pillows were good.

It was a bit noisy at times, but there were lots of children about, last week of holidays so busy. The noise did not really bother us.

I would recommend it for a cheap deal break on special offer, but I would not have paid full price.

3 Thank Kdotty
Fife
Reviewed 28 August 2013

While some areas are a bit tired our room was clean and in good condition. The bar areas and in particular the terrace and restaurant were excellent. The food was good and service in bar and restuarant very good and would like to praise Robert for the standard of service he supplied. The price of a bottle of wine in restaurant was fair but if you picked the wrong wine in bar it was expensive.

1 Thank footy12
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just departing from this hotel and whilst my kids are in the pool thought I would write a review! I do this very rarely except when I feel that the hotel does not offer what I expected. Some aspects were good but others fell below the standard suggested on the hotel website:

Grounds: very nice and well landscaped, beautiful views from all angles of the hotel, even in the car park!

Room - a large family room of a good standard and refurbished. Nice bathroom. Children had to sleep on sofa beds, but I was aware of this when I booked. Older children may struggle on the smaller sofa bed. Sounded like there was a herd of elephants in the room above, very noisy until 11pm, when my ear plugs finally drowned it out. Could also hear doors banging and people walking in corridors. Sound proofing needs improving.

Bar- did not eat at the hotel but decided to get drinks at the bistro. This was a horrible room. Others reviews have described it as "like a sports bar", but I think that is rather generous. It is more akin to a working men's club. It only lacked the darts board and glitter ball. There were lots of men in there watching a football match on a large screen TV. Only stayed for one drink and then left. Not what I expected at all.

Pool/Gym-only used the pool area which was modern and a good standard, children had to leave at 8pm and could not use it before 9am. On arrival we were informed that an adult had to be in the water with the children (they are 9 and 11 and very strong swimmers). To avoid disappointment from our children we had to buy swimwear to go in with them. I think this should be clearly indicated on the website and is not something I have experienced before. In addition, my children got into the jacuzzi and were promptly asked to leave it because they were under 16. There were no clear signs in the area to indicate this, and lots of other children entered it later.

Breakfast-good standard and wide selection, nice to be waiter served rather than self service.

Check out-this took a long time due to other customers having problems with their bills and only one person available on reception. Should have more staff at peak hours.

Overall-as we paid the online price of £98 (including £10 to spend in the hotel), I feel that this was OK for the experience we received. However, if I had paid any more I would have been disappointed. I only booked one night, which was quite enough.

Room Tip: Rooms at front with balconies have beautiful views over the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tina H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochard
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!