October 2013 - we stayed for one week in a Rowan Lodge and were very satisfied with the accommodations. This was our first trip to Scotland. The MacDonald property was lovely and the staff was very friendly & helpful. The decor of the lodge was a little dated but that didn't impact our visit. We took day trips to Stirling, St. Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh, so we normally made breakfast at the lodge and cooked dinner or ate at Rafters. The lodge kitchen had the items we needed for preparing our meals.
We enjoyed the food at Rafters but the set up/atmosphere could be improved to make the experience more enjoyable. Some decor and room layout updates could give the space a much more pleasing feel. The maitre d' was a bit stressed when we showed up without reservations, even though there was plenty of room for us. He ended up being pleasant.
The spa, pool and exercise facilities are very nice.
The lounge and bar area in the hotel are very nice - big comfy seating and roaring fire. The bartender and waiters were very friendly and made us feel welcome at the resort.
The wee laundry facility has only 2 washers and 2 dryers. That was not a problem for us being there in October, but it could cause a delay in doing laundry if you were there during a busy season.
We did not have cell phone service on the property. We had no trouble with the internet signal at the hotel; however, we did not have internet service in our lodge. I believe we could have paid for that service, but we were on vacation and did not care about being online very often.
The resort is in a lovely area. It was great to wake up to a view of the loch every morning. We enjoyed our visits in Aberfoyle. The staff at the visitors center, the Wallace Pub and the Co-operative grocery were always very friendly and helpful. The venison dish at the Wallace Pub was one of the best things I have ever eaten. Everyone at my table was jealous of my meal!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within the breath-taking scenery of The Trossachs, Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa provides a luxurious getaway right on your doorstep. Our hotel in Aberfoyle is located just 20 minutes from Stirling, 40 minutes from Glasgow and less than an hour from Edinburgh, offering the perfect retreat from city life. Indulge in award-winning dining in the Garden Restaurant, or enjoy a delicious afternoon tea on the terrace while watching over Lake Ard. Our sumptuous spa is just the thing if you need to relax, with a fabulous selection of Elemis treatments on offer or, for the more adventurous, why not take to the surrounding hills or venture out on to the lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel And Resort
- Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel Aberfoyle
- Macdonald Forest Hills Aberfoyle
- Forest Hills Hotel