Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Rob Roy Hotel(Aberfoyle)
  • Restaurant
The Lake of Menteith Hotel(Port of Menteith)
Inversnaid Hotel(Inversnaid)
2,163 results
All reviewsforest hillsgarden restaurantleisure facilitiessteam roombeautiful locationrafters bistromain restaurantafternoon teaevening mealexecutive roomboth nightsself cateringwaiting staffbottle of wineloch viewrelaxing stayamazing views
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Our daughter organised a late booking for us at Macdonalds Forest Hills Hotel to allow us a bit of time to ourselves and I'm glad we chose here over the other options available.
It's only 75 minutes drive from home, however once you arrive on the shores of Loch Ard, you realise just how secluded and remote the place is.
If you need to have your mobile working as a security blanket for contact with the outside world, then forget it. There was no reception for neither our mobiles (very happy about that) however the staff did inform us that O2 coverage is possibly if a bit sporadic. Free WiFi is however available for those needing the contact with outside civilisation.
The warm welcome was evident from walking through the front door. The reception staff handed our room key after welcoming us and outlining the services available from the dining options, the health club services and activities in the local area.
The food was exceptional and served by waiting staff who ensured you were treated as a valued guest. Nothing was too much of a bother for them to deal with.
Our room was a 'Classic` and I believe they are due for refurbishment in the future. The room was clean, of a good size, adequately heated and had a view of the loch.
The health club was a welcome attraction due to the weather, with the good sized pool with a nice sauna and steamroom well used after a good walk for a couple of hours in drizzle.
The bar prices in the Rafters Bar above the health club were a bit steep for that type of place, however the captive audience means its a take it or leave it option.
It was a chill-out weekend we were looking for and we certainly got what we wanted. If you want to drop out of the madness of life for a day or two, then I can recommend you will get the peace and quiet you want here.
Will certainly return here again, a bit of sun and warm weather would be nice, however its not necessary.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MoragStark, General Manager at Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting such a positive review following your visit to Forest Hills. The hotel does indeed offer the opportunity to get away from it all, you feel a million miles from home yet it is easily accesible from anywhere in central Scotland.
I have also passed your kind comments onto the team who were happy to have been of service to you.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Had a very pleasant stay here. Nice room with balcony and great views over the loch. Staff were very attentive and service a breakfast and dinner was prompt and efficient, food was a good standard too.

Some public areas need a little refurb but overall it is a comfortable base for a break. Good leisure facilities with decent sized swimming pool.

Would certainly come back again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wcfs2011

Dear Guest
Many thanks for the positive comments that you have given our hotel and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind remarks to all of the staff and we are happy to have been of service to you. I am also pleased to report that both the lounges and Garden restaurant have been fully refurbihjed and look lovely, hopefully you will visit again to see these improvements.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My fiancé and I were given a night at The Forest Hill Hotel as a present by his family after me undergoing a year of cancer treatments. We love the Aberfoyle area of Scotland and weren't disappointed when we arrived as the view were spectacular on arrival.
We were met by a very helpful, friendly member of staff at reception who covered everything we needed to know. We made a dinner reservation at the hotel's restaurant for that night and went to our Executive room.
The room was just lovely. With an amazing view of the gardens and Loch Ard in the distance. We immediately felt at home and relaxed. I hadn't felt that stress-free in a very long time. The hotel and surrounding area just seemed to soothe you.
We went for a lovely walk through the gardens before dinner. We loved the waterfall to the side of the hotel and then walked down to the road which runs alongside Loch Ard and were given the added bonus of a beautiful red sunset. When we walked back up to the hotel we sat on the two benches which look right out over the breathtaking scenery and felt so happy!
We went down to dinner and WOW it was incredible from the minute we got there. The waiting staff were so nice and attended to your every need without being annoyed. We ordered a nice bottle of red wine and a young girl came round with a bread trolley which we picked various kinds of delicious bread from. We were given butter, olive oil and balsamic to have with this. The starters almost brought tears to our eyes they were so delicious. My fiance had a prawn tien and I had a brie tart. The prawn tien was the nicest starter either of us has ever tasted. Our mains were out of this world too. I don't eat lamb but tried some of my fiance's as it looked too good not to. I loved it. I had the chicken which was so succulent. We had a bowl of handcut chips to share as well as loads of vegetables. The chips didn't look anything special but they again were the nicest chips we'd ever tasted. We couldn't believe we had room for dessert but we couldn't resist. I had a trio of chocolate mousse which was the perfect ending to a perfect meal. The wine was outstanding and only £30 a bottle which I thought was reasonable for such a good bottle.
We went back to our rooms full of so much happiness. Had an excellent sleep in the big comfy bed. We went down to breakfast and again it was just perfect. We were sat at a window right at the front overlooking the hotel gardens. The service was excellent and everything we ordered just delicious.
When it came to leave I could have cried I was so sad to go.
I cannot wait to go back as soon as we possibly can! I will never forget our perfect break.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Poppypanda

Dear Poppy
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review following your stay with us here at Forest Hills. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay particularly after such a difficult time for you. I have passed on your kind remarks to all the staff who were delighted. When you are returning to Forest Hills in the future, please do let me know to allow me to enhance your stay.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

just had to forgo my week at foresthills first time in 27 yrs the reason being they do not cater for disababled folks ,you cant get to club house NO LIFT swimming pool used to have 5 steps with hand rail ,now a metal ladder flush with pool ,they do offer a hoist to lower you into pool ,how embaressing so I have spent nearly £500 for nothing ,if you are booked into lodges be fit to climb no lifts or luggage hoist, lovely hotel and nice staff who try their best but dont understand HOW they can get away with breaching the disable act

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tulliallan

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. Given the sensitive and personal nature of your feedback, I would appreciate it if you would contact me direclty by email on gm.foresthills@macdonald-hotels.co.uk to further discuss your concerns.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Back in Aug this year I booked this hotel. The photos of the grounds were amazing and I had stayed in Macdonald hotels before. This hotel is over priced. I loved the grounds but inside the hotel is very poor for how much they charge. Just of the entrance was a toilet which you could smell urine when you walked past. The main sitting room had an old damp musty smell. In a separate building they had their swimming pool and a restaurant bar. They food here was very nice and the service perfect, but the décor was tried in need of an update. Below the restaurant was a huge hall that looked like a dumping ground. The cooked breakfast consists of one sausage one slice of bacon very minimal although there was a buffet. On a plus the housekeeping staff were friendly and our room was clean.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms beside car park. Too much noise from coming and going visitors.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 540Anne
MoragStark, Manager at Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for your comments 540Anne.
Delivering the highest standards of cleanliness and comfort for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I would always welcome your feedback where you feel that this has not been the case. I am pleased to advise you that Raters Bistro along with the hotel lounges , restaurant and banqueting suite are to be refurbished later this month as part of our ongoing refurbishment plan, which i am sure will enhance our guests experience.
Your kind comments regarding the food and service were much appreciated and I have passed onto the team.
Morag Stark