Just home from a fantastic weekend away with a group of friends who regularly meet up at different hotels in Scotland - we all agreed we'd return here in a heartbeat.
I don't believe we were in a renovated section of the hotel [?]. Our rooms were classic style, comfortable and generously spacious, well equipped with all the standard amenities, nothing remarkable, though fresh milk available for in room teas and coffees was much appreciated. We slept late both mornings, which we blamed on the absence of noise from other rooms / housekeeping - which generally provides your morning alarm in hotels.
Nice spa across the carpark. Lovely and warm, with a spacious pool, sauna, and turkish, and a temperamental cosy wee jacuzzi. Hotel apparently full yet so much to do here we pretty much had this to ourselves.
We ate in both the Rafters bar and the main restaurant. Yes the bar is ready for its refurb, its verging on wellworn holiday park clubhouse - but fingers crossed it retains its lovely convivial atmosphere. Food here was fine [several dishes wee bit heavy on the oil] - service was excellent. On the second night we ate in the main restaurant. Between us we ate our way through the menu and everything got a thumbs up. The deserts were exceptional and our apologies, chef, for sending so many back half eaten - they were delicious but it just didn't seem the thang to request doggy bags here!
Wine was good and reasonably priced - other bar prices OUCH!
The two standout aspects of this place are the setting, which is just jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Lingering over coffees in the breakfast room we oggled over the picture perfect Christmas card - a frosted panorama glistening in the winter sun with a wispy mist winding ooer the loch, and upwards beyond to a majestic snow capped Ben Lomond. So good I came over all poetic. I'm guessing its equally gorgeous in each season's distinctive dressing]
... and the staff - attentive, warm, extremely accommodating and with great banter - all made for great hospitality here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within the breath-taking scenery of The Trossachs, Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa provides a luxurious getaway right on your doorstep. Our hotel in Aberfoyle is located just 20 minutes from Stirling, 40 minutes from Glasgow and less than an hour from Edinburgh, offering the perfect retreat from city life. Indulge in award-winning dining in the Garden Restaurant, or enjoy a delicious afternoon tea on the terrace while watching over Lake Ard. Our sumptuous spa is just the thing if you need to relax, with a fabulous selection of Elemis treatments on offer or, for the more adventurous, why not take to the surrounding hills or venture out on to the lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel Aberfoyle
- Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel And Resort
- Macdonald Forest Hills Aberfoyle
- Forest Hills Hotel