“"The kitchen is going to miss out on this tip"”
Review of Paredon Surf House

Paredon Surf House
Ranked #1 of 1 El Paredon B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Four of us stayed 3 nights.
Since we could not afford the dinner we went to town for food on the second night.
After that we got bad vibes from the manager(josh).
Same happened to two girls we met at the surfhouse.
At the end of our stay he expected us to pay for three boards and a ding at one of these(which we could not proof was there before) even we just rented and used two. Of which one was borrowed by one of our friends to give it a try.
Since it did not seem reasonable to us to pay for a board we did not use we just paid for two and the ding.
After we paid he told us the kitchen has to miss out on our tips since we did not pay for three of us surfing on two boards. We could not believe his words!!

Besides him, very friendly staff and nice setting!

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This place is something really special. Brilliant staff and a location difficult to beat, especially if you are looking for a place "of the beaten path".
The Beachfront Bungalows have the best view you can imagine (doesn´t matter that the sand is black). The group loft is at very good value for money and one of the best dorms I have ever tried.
The food is really good and the prices for beverage is reasonable.
Thanks Josh, Mercedes and all the rest for a memorable stay!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2014

First time surfing in Guatemala, and wasn't sure what to expect, and what I got was better than I could have hoped!

First off, it's a Bohemian joint, don't expect marble floors, air-conditioning or flat screen TV's - it's not that kind of place. In fact, if you surf, and like to talk/hang to amazing and interesting people, a television is the last thing on your mind.

The people (the new management team and assorted staff and volunteers) are exceptionally hardworking, wanting to do nothing than to make your stay pleasurable. Their level of attentiveness and concern for their fellow visitors is a joy to behold. From communal dinners, excellent breakfasts (have the Tipico - really), and a well stocked beer fridge - you could want for nothing.

If there was anything negative I could say about the joint, is that mosquitos do like to come out around dinnertime. Be prepared to bring some bug spray, and get a little itchy.

The beach is unparalleled, surf good, sand very very hot.

If you like to surf, know the culture, and want to stay someplace comfortably and very affordably, this is the joint.

Room Tip: If you can, grab a cabana at the front facing the beach. The breeze in the morning is a great way to...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I spent a couple of nights at the Paredon Surf House and was extremely pleased with all that I found there. The accommodation was as presented on their website and the room was clean and well kept. Josh and Mercedes were excellent hosts. The food was very good and reasonably priced. The staff are friendly and accommodating.There is a very friendly atmosphere which is helped by the nightly dinners around the pool. It is a tranquil place where you can fall asleep to the sound of the surf. There are no large crowds or hotels to disturb the tranquility. I wish I could have stayed longer. If you should arrive by motorcycle be aware of the 12km of sandy road that leads to the facility. I am not a surfer but those many of the guests were enjoying this activity.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled here as a couple for the first week of our 2.5 week trip in guatemala. Neither of us can stop raving about it. Mercedes, Josh, Raby and Lucas (who has since left to go back home I think) were unbelievable hosts. From the moment we arrived we knew we were in the right place. We were shown to our amazing bungalow overlooking the surf break, the bed was comfortable (use the mosquito net) and falling asleep/waking up to the sound of the waves breaking is something I will never forget, definitely my favourite room I've ever had. That night, and every other night, we had an amazing 3 course dinner that very well could have come from the kitchen of a very accomplished chef. Consistently amazing and healthy meals, definitely my favourite food from any accommodation I've had. **Make sure to try the ceviche off of the snack menu, its big enough to be your lunch and made fresh to order. Every night after dinner the hosts encouraged everyone to play games together (charades, apples to apples, alibi) and it is because of this that we got to know so many other amazing people and made such great friends and laugh until we couldn't breathe.
We also did the mangrove/fishing tour and I had an amazing massage, both of these were worth writing home about and really fairly priced. Make sure you walk into town at some point and wander around, such a sweet little village where people are still excited to see travelers.
We also were lucky enough to get to spend a bit of time with a couple of the owners over new years, such awesome people, which made us fall even more in love with the place.
Literally every component of our stay, the bungalow, the food, the people, the location, the management and so on, were my very favourite I've had.
We already miss it so much. We'll see you soon Mercedes and Josh!
Megan & Matt

Room Tip: Get the Bungalow!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We went for a day trip while our ship was docked for the day. We were a group of 5 - 3 - 24 year olds and 2 - 50 something year olds. It was so beautiful with the black sand, renting a surfboard, having a great lunch and drinks. Raby was wonderful in setting up a driver and the day for us. The unfortunate problem was the port didn't allow the driver to come in so we had to walk to the entrance but there the driver was waiting for us. The port wants the passengers to hire the drivers from the port. It was a great way to spend the day in the sun and surf.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Like many of the other reviews have said, this is a beautiful, clean property. The accommodations are great. My boyfriend and I stayed in the suite for a few nights and then moved to the bungalows we can't decide what we loved more, each had their own perks. The waves were nice the first 3 days then died down by the end of our stay. My boyfriend and I have a weekly tradition of Taco Tuesday, the owner who was staying a few days to celebrate New Years Eve over heard us talking about our weekly tacos, and the next day made a fish taco special for lunch. Thanks to that we have never missed a taco Tuesday ! We met really great people, and enjoyed everyone's company. Yenni also gives a great massage. This place is great for couples, or solo travelers. We will be back! (but with bug spray).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 15 in Monterrico
Hotel Turicentro Martita
Hotel Turicentro Martita
#2 of 2 in Puerto de San Jose

Been to Paredon Surf House? Share your experiences!