“SUPER HOLIDAY ONCE AGAIN!!”
Review of Despina Apartments

Despina Apartments
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Kato Gouves
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Came to Despina once again this summer after a fabulous holiday here last year with my mum and my 2 girls. Just returned from a week away and would like to go back RIGHT NOW!! Lovely location with many great restaurants. The appartements are cleaned daily, and are spacious for what you need for a holiday house. Aris and Costa are the most welcoming hosts I have ever met, and count them now as my freinds. Wonderful place to relax, swim, chat and drink!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rose i

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Me and my partner, both 21, went there in summer 2011. Being young sometimes you get the odd person 'talking down' to you but certainly not here. We arrived at about 3 in the morning due to delays but they waited up for us. One of the brothers carried my bags all the way to our room as we'd had a long journey and were exceptionally friendly.

Through the next week they were lovely to be around. Helpful and funny. They treated us like they'd known us for years letting us off the occasional cocktail, giving us a lift to the working ATM and even giving the nickname 'DanielSaaaan' for my partner!

There are shops all around the apartments with most things in walking distance. The apartments themselves are clean and bright with balconys and typically greek. I advise that you get air con in the summer months.

The place has a really pretty little bar with a wide selection of drinks and snacks are available. To be honest I can't fault it. Our only problem came when we noticed it was far too hot to have no air con (whoch was our own fault) but the brothers moved us to an air con room immediately without dispute. I'd go time and time again.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank Xxsteffixx
Reviewed 29 July 2011

One of the best holidays. The brothers that run it are lovely, really friendly and helpfull. If you want a peaceful relaxing holiday then i would recommend the Despina, the apartments are clean with regular maid service, a lovely bar where you can get a wicked cocktail!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank vinniekay
Reviewed 9 July 2011

from the very start of our holiday to the very last day, we felt like returning friends, the whole experience.of staying in despina apts was magical . the rooms are typical greek but everything worked perfectly. the best things are free, cool music ,smiling faces,drinks wether coffee, tea or beers (not expensive) were always served with a smile. the pool is to die for plenty of sunbeds and a really informal vibe about the bar, make this place worth a visit even just for a drink. people from all over the world call in, maybe the un could host a conference here and then there would no more problems anywhere.my thanks to all the faily that own this place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank johninglis
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We travelled to Crete for the first time in August 2010. We booked a last minute deal and were not expecting five star luxury. The apartments themselves are very clean and adequate for a self catering holiday. The bar and snack area are lovely especially in the evening. We were spoilt and practically had the pool to ourselves everday as most people hit the beach which is very near. There are some great local restaurants to try. But what made our stay most enjoyable was the brothers that own the complex, they were incredibly polite and helpful to both myself, my partner and my teenage daughter. The brothers are very intelligent and had interesting conversations with us, their families and partners also were very much part of their business. I am not sure what comments have been made about any inappropriate behaviour but we did not witness anything and only have upmost respect for the family that own the apartments, so much so that we will definately return. It is definately worth having a room with air con as it is very hot in the summer months. We really enjoyed this holiday.

2  Thank MissTowns
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I feel compelled to write this comment after reading Jayne's review - attention that is given, is genuine and warm hearted and I was quite taken a back with the comments that she made.

Visited Despina in August 2010, with my daughter and grandchild. Booked last minute and was very happy. My only complaint was there was no air conditioning - fans facilitated were a blessing. The room which we stayed in was basic, very clean and cleaned daily. The apartments are family run and you are made very welcome by all.

We spent most days by the pool where food and drink is available at a very reasonable price. The beach is a 5 minute walk away, along the way is a reasonably priced supermarket run by a lovely family. The beach is clean and breezy, you will be charged for sunbeds and umbrella around 7.50 E. Days around the poolside are relaxing and most of the time we had the pool to ourselves - perfect.

If you want a inexpensive place to stay then visit Despina, don't expect 5* accomodation - however you will be looked after in true Greek style.

I enjoyed Gouves peaceful atompsphere, so much so I have just rebooked and can't wait til May 10 when I will return.

The beach is a 5 minute walk away., along the way is a supermarket and a handful of taverna's.

1  Thank tannie15
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My daughter booked a week's holiday for herself and her sons at Despina in late July and so her mother and I decided to join them. I had my doubts because the holiday was so inexpensive, and some of the reviews were less than flattering, but we enjoyed every minute of our stay and hope to return. The rooms are simply furnished, clean and well maintained with good showers and a basic kitchen - which we had no intention of using, anyway! Despina Apartments are at the eastern end of Kato Gouves, just a hundred yards back from the beach - one of the few sand beaches - and distant from any nighclubs, discos etc. so we greatly enjoyed walking out each evening to find a restaurant for our dinner. The two young men, Christos and Arri (I hope I've spelt their names correctly) who run the apartments could not have been more friendly and it is a tribute to the atmosphere in the bar that locals gathered there as well as the paying customers. Hot and cold snacks are available at the bar. The boys enjoyed it as much as the adults: they had no notion of spending their nights in discos but enjoyed their days swimming in the sea or in the Apartments' swimming bath and then going out with us for meals in the evening. The tour operator offered a number of trips - enough for every day of our stay! - but we wanted to relax and so will take these trips on our next visit. I di however take the local bus to Heraklion for a day and would gladly have spent more time there.

2  Thank TonySuttonColdfield
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kato Gouves
Kri Kri Village Holiday Apartments
Kri Kri Village Holiday Apartmen...
#3 of 8 in Gournes Pediados
5 mi away
Petra Village Apartments
Petra Village Apartments
#10 of 13 in Koutouloufari

Been to Despina Apartments? Share your experiences!