My daughter booked a week's holiday for herself and her sons at Despina in late July and so her mother and I decided to join them. I had my doubts because the holiday was so inexpensive, and some of the reviews were less than flattering, but we enjoyed every minute of our stay and hope to return. The rooms are simply furnished, clean and well maintained with good showers and a basic kitchen - which we had no intention of using, anyway! Despina Apartments are at the eastern end of Kato Gouves, just a hundred yards back from the beach - one of the few sand beaches - and distant from any nighclubs, discos etc. so we greatly enjoyed walking out each evening to find a restaurant for our dinner. The two young men, Christos and Arri (I hope I've spelt their names correctly) who run the apartments could not have been more friendly and it is a tribute to the atmosphere in the bar that locals gathered there as well as the paying customers. Hot and cold snacks are available at the bar. The boys enjoyed it as much as the adults: they had no notion of spending their nights in discos but enjoyed their days swimming in the sea or in the Apartments' swimming bath and then going out with us for meals in the evening. The tour operator offered a number of trips - enough for every day of our stay! - but we wanted to relax and so will take these trips on our next visit. I di however take the local bus to Heraklion for a day and would gladly have spent more time there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Despoina apartments is a family run hotel at Gouves, on Europe's southern island of Crete. The resort is just 15 kilometres from "Nikos Kazantzakis" airport and 20 kilometres from the historical centre of Heraclion. The hotel is situated 100m from the beach and near to lots of restaurants and bars. There are lots of places and archaeological sites around Despoina apartments. 20km to the east is the famous KNOSSOS palace and 7 km to the west is Hersonissos resort, known for its night life. Not far away about 3km is Creta Auarium one of the largest and most modern aquariums in Europe. The combination of the unique location, the relaxing atmosphere and our friendly and personalized service, have established our hotel as one of the most enjoyable holiday choices of Gouves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), bedfinder AG, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Despina Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Despina Apartments Gouves
- Despina Apartments Crete/Kato Gouves