“Excellent, but let down by some things.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort

Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Gouves
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Excellent, but let down by some things.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

We landed about 11pm and were whisked away in a taxi (best thing ever, thank goodness we didnt have to sit for hours on a coach!) when we arrived the hotel looked stunning, amazing, a real WOW factor!! check in was smooth and we were offered refreshments and towels. I had emailed to ask for a free upgrade as it was our honeymoon (it states on the website that if rooms are available they will upgrade if your on honeymoon!) but was disappointed when were were not given one, even though the hotel was no where near full capacity! Needless to say our room was nice and clean but i have been in better! There were some beautifully made sandwiches, cakes and fruit awaiting us which was fab!! The actual hotel is faultless and spotless, it has to be the nicest hotel i have ever stayed at. Food is buffet style (unless you want to pay the high rates for the other restaurants!) plenty of choice although some dishes were a bit cold. always plenty of sun loungers and places to sit. we had lunch at the pool on one day, we were shocked at the high prices BUT the portions are big, so it made up for it. Unfortunetly i found a slug in my greek salad, the manager came over and couldnt do more for us!! free lunch as well which i didnt expect! there was live music ever night which was lovely! We went on a boat trip to spinalonga which was worth the money!The one thing that really let the holiday down was the other guests (no fault of the hotel!! the staff are 5* fantastic!!) mainly russians and germans, very very rude, arrogant, always looked down on us, flashing the cash which the waiters loved and paid slightly more attention to, as they would spend 300 euros on a bottle of champagne!! This is a fab hotel but if you children its not for you, OR if your skint then its not for you either! I dont think we would return but only because we dont tend to go to the same place twice.

Room Tip: dont get a standard room, the rooms with pools looked fab.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kelltw12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was our first hot holiday for ten years as we are snow ski fanatics and sadly can't do both, but despite my reservations we really enjoyed the change of scene and heat. The holiday was booked by our friends from Vienna as we hadn't seen them for years and usually meet up on active holidays. They had already booked so we had little say in the choice but they had stayed before and assured us it was amazing. I must admit, after my initial fears that the hotel might be too large and impersonal, I was soon sold on the whole experience and the staff are amazing in their attention to detail and helpfulness. We were upgraded to a bungalow with pool (beware, pool looks lovely and romantic, especially at night but its freezing so didn't get any use.... too wimpy to put more than a foot in it - think you can have heated pool at extra cost of course) Cold pool didn't detract from overall experience and the room was lovely with masses of space for all the extra clothes that we women tend to take and only wear half of!! - Got to say though that for once I did wear it all as the hotel demands that you match its stunning looks with the best clothes you've got and I must admit it was quite nice to wear clothes that are far too nice for rural Cornwall where its wet, windy and muddy. Pool rooms are large with really nice complementary lighting (important for women over 40 like me) I even got used to the scary magnified lighted mirror in the bathroom as it was kinder than I feared, once I plucked up courage to look in it! Loved eating around the lagoon at night, best tables are here and the hotel is even prettier when lit up at night. Also found the bar a good place to people watch after a meal. Quite entertaining watching the Russians (80% of the clientele) buying all the mega expensive jewellery that I coveted. Sadly the ring I lusted after still remains in the window or on someone else's manicured hand! All the staff were amazing, especially the restaurant staff and poolside staff and the food was fantastic, I never felt the need to try any of the other restaurants as I am a really picky eater and yet still found something good every night and the lovely chef even offered to make me a special meal, despite being flat out, as I am a coeliac and non meat eater. If you are coeliac, do take your own bread, as I did though. They do have a version of gluten free bread, but it is called bread, but not as we know it, especially if you are used to Genius or UK versions but its nice that they offer it. The gluten free pasta is just as good as ours in UK. Although the hotel is very large with a high occupancy, there is always somewhere to wander to and get away from it all. We used to move from beach to pool to other beach and garden areas all day which was lovely and there are masses of sun beds, so no need to get up at dawn! I swam mostly in the sea as it was warmer than the pool but there are also pilates and yoga classes daily which I enjoyed as I get bored sunbathing. Also beach volleyball and aqua aerobics on offer but watersports are limited sadly, due to sometimes strong winds. The only tiny niggle I had all holiday was the tennis court surface - it is carpeted and where the joins are, it is rutted so ball bounces erratically - would be fine for family fun game but if you are a serious player you won't be impressed, but we did mention it to the management when we left. It did not detract in any way from what turned out to be a memorable and very happy holiday with great food, great company and extremely comfortable and stylish surroundings. It was a bit of a shock coming back to reality after the fantasy world that the Amirandes offers!

Room Tip: Bungalow rooms with pool don't all have sea view but are larger than upstairs rooms with a view...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CharlotteCampbell
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Don't take me wrong, this is a great location with a good hotel. Nevertheless for the money paid , one expects excellent service and outstanding food. Unfortunately, it is quite average. The hotel was half full when we were there so there was no excuse for the staff forgetting to come back to us with a request for extra olive oil, a second coffee etc. Service was just not up to the standards . The food was also mostly fresh but found it quite repetitive. The value for price paid was disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank perry b
Amirandes_Management, Manager at Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Guest,

With this opportunity we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a letter and let us know about your recent stay in Amirandes Grecotel Exclusive Resort. We truly welcome and value your comments as direct feedback always helps us to try harder, in order to improve our product, exceed our guests’ expectations and continue providing exclusive luxury services.

We are very happy to read that our Resort met your standards and that the location is great.

Amirandes makes everything possible to offer exclusive services for all its guests . At this point, I would like to mention that Amirandes always offers its services by professional, well trained and multilingual staff that cares to fulfil the wishes and requirements of our Guests.

Food & Beverage quality has always been one of our first priorities as a hospitality chain. Our Amirandes Restaurant buffet with traditional Mediterranean cuisine combined with international delicacies as well as the menus in the a la carte restaurants that give our guests the chance to experience traditional Cretan dishes, authentic Italian cuisine and oriental flavors, are prepared with the care of our Executive Chef based only in fresh ingredients, all prepared in house in order to guarantee the best possible variety and results for our guests.

Dear Guest, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused and regarding the points that you are highlighting in your letter. I would like to inform you
that we take all comments under careful consideration and we want you to know that our goal is the constant improvement on the points that each guest mentions.

We are confident that your highest expectations will be fulfilled in Amirandes in case you give us the opportunity to welcoming you once more in our resort.

The Hotel Management
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed at the amirandes in August as a family of four. The accommodation, facilities, spa, restaurants, food and service were 5 star deluxe in every sense of the word.

If you want to completely unwind in the lap of of luxury then this is the place to go. If you want excitement and to meet people then the hotel is not the one for you.

A great unwinding experience and we will be spending many more years to come.

Rusty Savich. Ps a tip pay a bit more for the super half board option.

Room Tip: Chose a room over the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Russell N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I wanted to write a really detailed review, but actually it's not necessary. The main parts of a luxury holiday that I consider to be the most important were met and some extended at the Grecotel: Service, privacy, quiet, excellent food & wine, superior room (which was also quiet, no fellow residents' noises in our room!), stunning views, and complete relaxation.
This is definitely a place to experience at least once. I will be returning!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money, and choose one of the 'white' rooms that overlook the sea through flo...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

When I first visited this hotel in the spring of 2012 I was captivated by the overall presence and elegance of this hotel. The building design is amazing and the setting is superb, but what really left me with great and lasting impression was the warmth and friendliness of every member of the hotel team that I came into contact with.
My second visit in October 2013 didn't disappoint.
When you arrive at the Amirandes you feel like you are being welcomed into a luxurious but ultra-friendly but very respectful environment where everyone involved is determined to make this an amazing experience for you. This hotel runs like a well-oiled machine but what sets it out from other 5* luxury resorts is that it has a heart. Check-in is completed in a light and airy lounge area where new arrivals enjoy a welcome fruit drink and a cold towel to freshen up. Formalities over with, you are guided to your room by a member of the team who shows you round and makes sure you know where all the key facilities in your room or villa are.
For our visit we had a lovely two bedroom villa with direct access to the sandy beach. The standard of accommodation is first class – you even get to choose the type of pillow that will best suit you! There are a fine range of toiletries, hair dryer, in room safe and a kettle with tea and coffee ensuring you can enjoy an early morning cup of tea as you watch the sun rise over the Mediterranean. The local wine there to greet us was another greatly appreciated feature.
If you enjoy your food you will love the Amirandes. The wide range and quality of the beautifully prepared dishes is only outshone by the waiting team themselves who never seem to see anything as too much trouble. The main dining areas offer an indoor or outdoor seating option. Enjoy a range of meal choices where you can choose to eat as little or as much as you like. At breakfast the Cappuccinos (and other coffee options) are made to order and were the best I have ever experienced! We loved dining under the bright blue skies at breakfast and under the stars in the evening.
For more formal or intimate occasions, or even just for a change of scene, why not do as we did and check out one of the hotel’s a ’la carte restaurant options. The Lago Di Candia serves exquisite dishes featuring local produce. The new Minotaur offers Italian cuisine and, whilst we were staying at the hotel we were lucky enough to sample both the cuisine and the Pablo Picasso exhibits – the perfect location for a celebratory meal. We enjoyed our sea food lunch at the Petrino restaurant – overlooking the sea, this is a perfect spot to take a leisurely lunch whilst enjoying a glass of local wine. If you are looking for a very informal lunch dining option venture over to the ‘By The Pool’ Brasserie where there are salads, burgers and pizzas aplenty (plus more). We also made good use of the Labryrinth bar where we discovered some great cocktails and found a perfect location to either start or finish off each evening.
Once you arrive at Amirandes it’s hard to imagine why you would want to leave, but as Crete has so much to offer we did venture a little further afield this time. You can travel with ease to the delightful fishing village of Elounda – about an hour away. If you have ever read the novel The Island by Victoria Hislop, you will know about the island of Spinalonga – you can visit the island from here. Elounda has some lovely small shops to explore and some great restaurants, which are scattered around the harbour area. We also visited Aghios Nikolaos. Here you will discover a quaint harbour and an inland lake, which offers visitors an abundance of dining options.
If archaeological sites are on your to do list make sure you plan in a visit to Knossos, well worth a visit in my option – considered to be one of Europe’s oldest city’s dating back to the Bronze Age. The site is a twenty to twenty five minute drive away from Gouves. Travelling around Crete by public transport is also very easy. Buses operate to a genuine timetable; they are clean and cost effective.
If however, you decide to make the most of this wonderful hotel you might want to try out the Olympic size pool, the spa with an indoor heated pool and sauna, pay a visit to the hotel shop - offering pottery and local produce or do as we did and spend lots of time on the beach and in the sea which was clear blue and warm!
I started this review by saying what a great bunch of dedicated individuals run this hotel gem in the Med – I’ll end my review by reiterating that everyone, from the delightful and efficient chambermaids, to the team in the restaurants and bars to the hotel management team made this a dream holiday. Thank-you everyone for helping us to make up such a wonderful set of holiday memories.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Karen P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I spent a weekend with my wife on the Island of Crete in the Amirandes Hotel. The reception was already something special. Wet cold towels were handed, so we could refresh ourselves a bit. The second thing was that you don't only get the key, bo, one of the employees leads you to your room. The room was very nice. We had a balcony with a view over the pool (not for swimming) and to the sea. The hotel itself is huge and has a lot of different rooms. Some were like ours with balcony, other were on the ground level with a terrace and some rooms have their own pool.
The choice of restaurants is great and for every taste something can be found, Breakfast very rich and also here the service is wonderful.
The hotel also contains an indoor pool and a spa, but unfortunately we weren't able to enjoy this,
I hoipe we will be able to stay there again and this time for longer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Halla50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gouves
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
Creta Maris Beach Resort
#4 of 177 in Hersonissos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,553 reviews
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete

Been to Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort? Share your experiences!