“It was a pleasant experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset Bay Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Union Province
Sunset Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in La Union Province
“It was a pleasant experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This place truly deserves Trip Advisor's excellent seal award. The resort is very clean and has 24 hour security. I had encountered a car battery trouble but Mr Warren and his team was quick to act on the situation. He offered me a ride to the car mechanic and even offered me to use his own car battery to jump start our car. Their staff are very warm and quick on their toes.

I would highly recommend sunset bay to all who would like to experience a pleasant vacation!

Kudos to Mr. Warren and his team! :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aj B. A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Fantastic place to stay, the rooms were of a very high standard and will only improve as the renovations are completed, I recommend a poolside room. Excellent facilities, the food prepared at the restaurant was terrific; we ate there for all our meals during our 4 night stay, staffs were extremely friendly and helpful. We will not hesitate to stay at Sunset Bay on our next trip.

Room Tip: Go for a poolside room if there are any available.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rustyn1971
Las Pinas, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were lucky to be able to get the last room. We went for a dip in the pool sitting overlooking the beach, where our children excelled themselves and joined the fun of other kids. Our room overlooking the pool and adjacent to the open air terraces that combined bar and dining area. food was exceptionally good and well priced, with a choice for everyone. Car parking was secure and easily accessible. Our room had bunk beds for the kids, and our queen sized bed made our stay enjoyable. Highly recommended price wise, standards wise and view wise, with the sunset giving the resort its popular name.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian F
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place truly deserves Trip Advisor's excellent seal award. The resort is very clean and has 24 hour security and their staff are very warm and quick on their toes. Unlike other beach resorts which were crowded during Holy Week, this place was so serene that it felt like we owned the place. Food was great and served in generous portions. I had experiences in the past where the accommodation was cheap but they racked the food prices either by cost or by serving size. The resort owners do not allow day tourists so the place was quiet even if all the rooms were fully-booked. Overall, I would return to this place to escape from crowded places during Holy Week. I just hope that next time they will have other beach facilities for kids.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Paranaque, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Had a very comfortable and memorable experience here, nice and clean accomodations, good food (perhaps you could include grilled seafoods on your menu), a cozy atmoshpere and a great staff! Definitely a place to stay whenever in La Union

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Deogracias2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Resort is located quite a distance away from the city. Good thing the staff were helpful in giving directions or else we would not have found it. So glad we did though. The family room was large and clean. Place was quiet and relaxing. I appreciate that they had trash bins on every corner. No reason for guests to litter. Only complaint was the beach here is not ideal for swimming. You have to walk at least 1km to get to the part of the beach where the corals and kelp won't bother you. Good for sunbathing only. The pool was a good alternative but it could use a bit of cleaning.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Kathy P
Mabalacat, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I came to know about this resort on my friend’s facebook status update. From the photos he posted, I could say it is a nice place.

Coincidentally at the time, I was looking for a place to go to for a short vacay. Sunset Bay Beach Resort immediately came to mind, especially after I checked on their website.

Making a reservation was an ease. My online inquiry thru their website was immediately responded to, much to my delight, as I also work in a Hotel. A speedy response is always appreciated by ANY guest.

Going there by bus from Pampanga took about seven hours, including the two 30-minute stop over at Capas and Sison, plus the engine issues of the bus we took (which stranded us at Rosales for about an hour or so). Finally at 2:00PM we were dropped at Sevilla where we took a tricycle to the resort for Php 50. It would have been nice if they had a shuttle to transport their guests to and from the resort, since the place was kinda secluded.

Checking in was a breeze. We were immediately given our key. No fuss; Payment upon check-out; No incidental deposit was collected. The room that was given to us was right across the reception.

The room was clean and nice. It was also inexpensive at Php 2,600, good for three persons! There was a cable TV with a working remote control, safety deposit box, a mini bar fridge, and a small but efficient AC. Bathroom was clean as well; but there was no bath mat so we got the one at the main door.

One major issue for me was that there was no phone in the room. Good thing our room is right across the reception. So in case we needed anything, it was very easy to communicate. But I’m wondering how inconvenient it would be for the guests occupying the rooms that were far from the Reception. Anyways…

The swimming pool was small, quaint and quiet. Water was too cold during the night. I think they should warm it up a bit. The resort was quiet when we arrived there, which was good… since that was the reason why we were there in the first place: for quiet time.

We have lunch at the restaurant. First impression on food price: pricey. But when the food was served, we understood. Everything can serve 2-3 persons! (we would have appreciated being told that the serving was that huge, but it is understandable that they did not). We ordered seafood pasta, mushroom brochette, and chicken parmigiana; Iced tea was superb; Had blissful coffee after. It was a feast! Service was warm and welcoming. But serving time took a while.

The shoreline that afternoon was not very appealing, what with the seaweeds all over the place. Water looked murky as well. Weather might have been bad somewhere near. But the beach was very quiet. No other guests were seen basking under the afternoon sun. We had it all to ourselves! Just the three of us! The place was sooo good for photo op. 

We watched the sunset by the beach while we sipped margaritas. This is another issue. The menu said frozen margarita, so we expected frozen margarita. It was not frozen. It was iced. And it tasted like water with ethyl alcohol! Don’t be deceived by the beautiful photos of the sexy drink! Haha! We had them changed, thinking that they made a mistake. But the “replacement” was as bad as the first.

Then we decided to take a dip in the swimming pool. Did I mention that the water was cold?

After swimming in the pool, we had dinner in the restaurant. We noticed that most of their guests are Balikbayans and foreigners who look above 50 years old; this may explain why the resort was so quiet… because everyone who was there wanted to have a quiet and relaxing time!

They had a soloist serenading the diners over dinner. Oh, boy was he good! At first we thought it was a CD playing… until we saw the guy in one corner of a restaurant with his instruments. Fantastic performance!

After a relaxing afternoon, a cold dip and a filling dinner (chicken sandwich with herbs, lamb chops and grilled salmon), it was time to retire and go to bed. Beds were comfy. Sheets smelled nice. AC was quiet. However, the wifi in the room went from one bar to no wifi signal at all; disappointing, considering that we are near the reception where the wifi signal is expected to be strong. Note: No issue on wifi in other areas. We could even access it by the beach.

Another downside: Reception desk is not open during the night. And they don't open early in the morning.

The next day, my companions left so I was on my own. Breakfast was good. I had baked beans, a heaping bowl of porridge (oatmeal) with bananas, and tea (they had quite a number of tea selections. I chose green). I sat at the bar facing the beach and had the most delightful breakfast, what with the spectacular view of the now clear waters and clean shoreline (compared to the day before)

Before I checked out, I walked around the resort and found interesting spots and seating areas. They even have a mini library where you could borrow books to read while basking by the beach or sipping coffee at the al fresco dining. If you are interested in have one of their books, you could exchange it with one of yours. Now that’s something I have never seen before.

Check out was as no-fuss as the check-in; but then again the main issue would be the lack of transportation. You either wait for a tricycle to pass by, or ask the Reception to call one for you, but the fare would be doubled (from Php 50 to a hundred).

Nevertheless, despite some minor glitches, I would definitely stay here again. Good service, great food, relaxing place, and real value for money!

Who would have thought that San Fernando City had a Sunset Bay Beach Resort to boast of?

Room Tip: Room 14 is right across the Reception. This is cool since they do not have a phone in the room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends