“Awful Experience”

Muscat, Oman
“Awful Experience”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 months on a business trip and here's my review:
First of all : It's the only hotel in Al-Khour Area, so whether the hotel rating is "5" stars or 1 star doesn't make a difference because there's no other option (apart from staying in Doha).
The rooms are very dirty. If you leave your food/drinks unattended for 5 minutes, ants will attack out of nowhere.
No premium TV channels . Only Free OTA channels , which makes you wonder about the 5-star rating.
Internet speed is from the cold-war era. They use a fax-modem (56K speed) line and share it to all rooms in the hotel. The Google page takes 5 minutes to open.
Breakfast is always the same .
Rates are from outer space: I was paying a corporate rate of 800 QAR/night whereas I could have paid much less in a real 5-star hotel in Doha.
Like I said earlier, it's the only Hotel in Al-Khour and there's no other choice because it's the nearest hotel to Ras Laffan.
If you don't mind driving long distances, book in Doha and avoid this crappy hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank evatall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,101 helpful votes
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for seven nights in February 2012. It was booked for me by my office on the instructions of a client. "It's nearby" was apparently the criteria for this suggestion.

From the first contact, there were issues. My office was asked to send copies of our passports, and a raft of paperwork just to book a taxi for me from the airport.

The rate agreed by my office, and agreed in writing (828 Riyals), had increased to 900 Riyals (c. £180) a night when I arrived at reception to check in. I feel there is a certain "get the money" component here. Drinks were expensive (regular coffee = £4), and every time I took a hotel taxi, I was asked to sign for the out and return trip before I entered the vehicle. On the last morning, I was followed into breakfast by a receptionist to get a taxi invoice signed - over 30 minutes before the taxi booking.

During much of my stay, I was (probably) the only guest. I was pretty bored and lonely, and with nothing to do, and nowhere nearby to go to, i hoped there'd be some TV. Only a couple of English TV channels; and zero sport (other than local soccer, etc). My room was pretty dingy feeling (though the hotel would suggest this was 'authentic' / rustic, I'm sure). Certainly, the windows were filthy, and one pane of double-glazing close to falling out completely.

On my last evening, I was shown to the table I'd sat at the previous six days (at either breakfast or dinner). Half way into my meal, a (rare) guest was seated near me. Who lit up his cigarette. The waiter, when I asked, suggested I move, as I had sat in the "smoking area". Hmmm.

Food is mostly buffet style, and breakfast in particular is uninspiring - pretty much the same every day.

Front desk (taxi bills and overcharging aside) are pretty friendly; and the taxi service extremely reliable time-wise. But I never once felt like a "welcome guest".

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Stephen A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This resort is about 30 minuits drive from Doha, as soon as I entered I was greeted with a smile and saw these horses, then as me and my family were escorted to the reception which is lovely.... a small tennis car took us to our room
The view is romantic facing the pool or renting a small paddle boat, everyday we have a choice of either swimming in the sea or the pool. There are two pools one for children and one for adults, and it's enchanting to play in the sand.
The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet style... also ask the hotel to tell us about local food at al-khore
It's a really beautiful experience, and a perfect gataway

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank __sweet_1_escape__
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I travelled here with work and only stayed 3 nights - I believe this is the only hotel in Al Khor so choice is limited.

The rooms are lovely and the staff are very helpful. On arrival the room had a fruit platter which is appreciated in the heat.

The food is average tasting and expensive to purchase. In addition - despite the dining room being massive adn empty, two men chose a table next to mine and decided to light up a cigarette as I was eating my meal. Anywhere that allows smoking where people are eating and doesn't separate the two gets the thumbs down from me i'm afraid ...

The pool area and view out over the Ocean are lovely and appreciated.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Korinamcintyre
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 5 March 2011

The room was cramped and poorly designed--the one good thing about the hotel is the view and the only windows were heavily draped and wedged in an alcove in the corner of the room where you can't even see them from within the room. The food was awful and appallingly over-priced. The pool was advertised as climate controlled, but it was not so it was too cold to swim in. Shame, since the pool looked quite nice. Overall, too much expense for too little in terms of service and amenities, and again--the food was very expensive and almost inedible.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank outandaboutdoHa

Travellers are raving about these Al Khor hotels

Reviewed 13 February 2011

Arrived and was met by a sour faced receptionist.
Got told I had to change room by next night? Went for breakfast in morning, everything was cold, cold scrambled eggs, beans etc even the milk was warmer! Ordered room service from confusing menu, I clearly asked that the lasagne had no meat as none is mentioned only the sauce, cheese and spinach. I get a beef lasagne, something a veggy doesn't take to kindly to.
Strange Mexican - Spanish decor seems odd but its not a negative actually a bit different if out of place. I think its clear they obviously have a monopoly very overpriced and expensive!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank lowbug
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 22 January 2011

In short, the hotel is far too overpriced. One night will run you about 900 QAR (that's about $225) for their cheapest room. Tag on to that another 100 QAR or so for 24 hours of internet and the bill is pretty hefty after any length of stay. Did I mention the dinner buffet will set you back 160 QAR per person ($40)? Really, it's the only hotel in the area, so they have the monopoly on prices... and it shows.

Regardless, the hotel is nice, but not 5 Star. If you look closely at their 5 Star certificate, it was certified by the Qatar Tourism Board (or something like that), who I am pretty sure were a bit biased.

The hotel looks nice, but it's 4 star at best. Especially with no free internet. And a lot of it is shiny, but not really functional. The chairs in the dining area have high armrests that prevent you from sliding the chair too close to the table... so then you have to move forward in your chair and dine without back support. Even if you could scoot in, the tables are supported by a single, large center beam-- which leaves no room for your feet. Anyways, that's just my personal rant, but really, a lot of the hotel is like that, a ton of marble and gilded objects that just sit there and look shiny. That's fine for some, but for a business traveler, I couldn't care less.

The grounds aren't bad, but this is the desert, they should give up on trying to grow a decent lawn and just change their landscaping plans-- good grass will never grow.

Anyways, I'll end things here, but all in all, the staff is VERY nice and friendly, the beds are comfortable, but the hotel is a bit too gaudy for my tastes and the prices are far too high.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
The St. Regis Doha
#11 of 134 in Doha
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,207 reviews
Marsa Malaz Kempinski, The Pearl - Doha

Been to Al Sultan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!