“Awful food”

The Bell
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Bredhurst
Price range: US$3 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Bredhurst Bell, The Street, Bredhurst, Kent, ME7 3JY01634 232971The thriving village of Bredhurst sits on the top of the North Kent Downs.The village has a population of about 380 people and has had its own parish council since 1975. The village centre consists of a small village green, St Peter’s Church, the village Primary school, and The Bell Inn which has been here since Tudor times. The Bell public house dates from 1500, and was used by the Postal Servicefor bed and stabling during their travels. Nowadays we serve the local and surrounding communities with meals and beverages.We have two bars; a large family bar leading onto a large patio garden and children's play area and an over 18's bar that holds all the charms and character of the good old days.We have an extensive car park at the rear and adjoining field for special events.We serve a wide range of Top Conditioned Cask Ales, constantly changing our selection, so on each visit you have a chance to try a new one.
Chatham, United Kingdom
“Awful food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

My family of 10 people went to the bell for a family meal which turned out dreadful we all ordered together yet food was bought out at different times! When ordered they never had half what was on the menu! Burger rolls was falling to prices the burgers we had was kids burgers instead of quarter pounders that state in the menu, chips was over cooked and mine and my sister in laws curry's was something you would get from icelands tiny pieces of meat and cooked in microwave my brother never even got his dinner because they had forget him and then when we complained they had then run out of stake what he had ordered! Out of 10 meals not eaten we only got refunded for 2 meals and the manager was rude to my sister in law for complaining about the food which wasn't fit enough to fed to my dogs!

2 Thank Davieshayley

Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Seems to have gone down hill!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We went on bank holiday Monday. We ordered 2 children's meals which were very dry and apparently not very appetising given how little was eaten. We could find only one childrens menu in the whole pub which was stuck on a black board by the door.

Despite entering the pub with 2 very young children, who were seen when the food was being ordered, we weren't told there are no high chairs or baby change facilities. Although I find this very surprising given the otherwise good effort to make older children welcome with the play area outside. I just don't understand why they aren't more up front about the lack of baby facilities, we either would not have ordered food, or at least would've ordered the adults food once the children had finished eating.

The adult mains were on the whole good, but those that came with side salad were disappointing as the cucumber was so dry it was curled at the edges, the tomato literally dry. The meals were delivered within 5 minutes of being ordered , some with chips so over cooked they were brown, others with fresh golden chips.

Some ordered desserts after finishing their mains only for them to take almost 45 minutes to deliver them to the table - even a 2 scoop of ice cream!

We used to go to the Bell regularly (pre babies) and loved the food and were keen to return after a couple of years however the standards have clearly slipped and we do not plan to return to eat. Maybe teething with the new owners? Maybe we just went on a bad day

Kent
“Worst meal ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Went to the bell today for a birthday celebration when presented with the menu we were told several items were not available so we had to chose something else,big mistake as the mixed grill that I ordered was the worst meal I have ever had chicken breast was like rubber the steak was shocking burnt to a cinder & as for the burger it was like trying to eat a piece of cardboard,I thought that they had left it in the box.Never again will I visit the bell,also the staff are very rude and chat amongst themselves before deciding to serve someone .Do yourself a favour and avoid this hell hole.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank smiffy2128
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Evening out with friends at The Bell”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

A group of nine of us went for a meal here on 1st August 2014, I had asked if we could reserve a table as there were a few of us, the dining area was not overly busy so we were allowed to sit wherever we chose. Three of us wanted salmon which they had unfortunately run out of, but the meal we had was just as good, however as we had all ordered separately our meals all came out at different times, but they were very apologetic and said they should have made a point of taking the orders together, and as a goodwill gesture offered us free desserts, which I thought was very generous of them. Overall the service was good, the meal satisfactory and would happily go back!

• Visited August 2014
Rainham, Kent
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have been to this pub probably 3 times over the last 4 years and on every occasion it has been a poor experience. The latest visit tonight was a special occasion for the walking club we belong to with at least 25 people buying drinks and food. Firstly I am a fan of real ale but having tried the London Pride which was not very good, I asked for a pint of Doombar only to be told this was off. I went for the Abbot which again was not very good. The food arrived and the starter was ok. Then we had a drip feed of main courses with a difference between the first and last person being served being 50 minutes - totally unacceptable, even worse we were told that they had run out of vegetables at lunch time and so we only had potatoes with our meal. WHEN I QUERIED THE SERVICE THE WAITRESS ONLY LAUGHED!!

I asked to speak to the manager and she did offer compensation but the damage was already done. They also had live music which was absolutely appalling. We did not wait for the dessert and I will never go back.

• Visited July 2014