We have recently returned from the hotel having taken my family and two children (5 & 7) for a three week holiday. I don't generally write in this forum but have felt complelled by some of the less than generous reviews. Firstly it takes an hour from the airport to the hotel and yes you do travel the final two miles down a rough road but it's not a problem and this from a man who can complain better than most. The welcome on arrival is efficent & courteous and even though we arrived long before the villa should have been available, we were shown without delay to it and given a tour by our butler, Joseph. The beach doesn't look it's best at low tide but this is hardly the fault of the hotel. It's compensated by a fabulous pool and decking which is far more kid friendly than the tiling normally put down. The pool boys run an efficient and tidy area, cold water and fresh towels are provided without delay and a smile goes a long way! Our arrival coincided with the end of Ramadan and the hotel was busy with guests from Dar who were celebrating the festival of Eid's - didn't impact on us and the hotel felt buzy and fun. The restaurants and staff were under pressure as the hotels capacity was close to maximum but not once, did this impact with slow service or anything less than the normal cheery way in which we were greeted or served. The food is of a very high standard and all tastes are catered for and indeed it was pointed out on numerous ocassions, that if we wanted something different we only had to ask and they would provide it. We had, not on the menu, "surf & turf", private beach bbq and more. The hotel has been open eighteen months and the sympathetic planting has already removed the scars of construction and it looks as though it's been there for much longer as it now blends into the landscape. The senior management were incredible from our arrival to our departure. Nothing it seemed was too much trouble and they went out of there way to encourage us to explore outside of the hotel. We to went to Stone Town, quite frankly what people expect from a developing country is extrordinary, perhaps one of the previous reviewers would prefer a Brown Thomas department store as in Dublin? Stone Town nor indeed Zanzibar have the infrastructure to excite, at the moment, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't explore. Do go early morning and see the dolphins, surfing down the waves, not one or ten but a hundred or more - spectacular! Have the dhow cruise and enjoy being on a beautiful tropical island which has much to offer and deserves a chance to be explored. Finally thanks to Yves, Michelle, Soon, Vikram, Linda, Almas, Jacqueline and all the other staff that made this holiday one of best we've ever had and as my very demanding five year old said, "this was the best ever, much better than Disney"!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Zanzibar lies within a lush, forested 32-hectare estate where five-star luxuries sit harmoniously alongside nature's untouched beauty. Feel your spirits soar amid extensive tropical gardens that meet with powder-soft white sand lapped by the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean. Inspired by the island's eclectic cultures, our luxury Zanzibar resort blends modern comforts with Swahili, Omani, British and Indian influences. Indulge in the privacy of the spacious villas, attended on if you wish by your own personal butler. Enjoy carefree days relaxing by your private pool, on the beach, or exploring the gardens on foot or by bicycle. Savour a taste of the Spice Island's unique blend of cultures and cuisines, and the pleasure of sensational spa treatments. Discover more of the island and the waters that surround it in a myriad of activities, from visiting historic sites and rare natural wonders to deep sea fishing and diving with dolphins. Whether you dream of a quiet couple's retreat or fun in the sun for the whole family, embrace all the delights of our island life at The Residence Zanzibar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Residence Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Zanzibar Hotel Kizimkazi
- The Residence Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Kizimkazi