We spent the most amazing 10 days here for our honeymoon.
We arrived to the hotel quite late at night and were tired, hungry and without our luggage (see below) so it was to our delight that not only was dinner waiting for us (the hotel had telephoned our taxi driver on route from the airport to find out what we would like for dinner), but we were upgraded to an ocean front villa. The villa was magnificent, if we could have moved in there permanently we would have! The private pool was much bigger than we were expecting, we spent most of our time there! We almost didn’t go to the main pool, but I’m glad we did as it was a huge infinity pool with glass walls which looked stunning.
My husband’s luggage got left in Nairiobi which seems to be a fairly common occurrence, but after explaining this to the hotel, they took over and called the airport. The next day they even drove the hour journey to collect it for us at no extra charge.
We went on the Prison Island and Jozani forest tour arranged by the hotel, which I would definitely recommend. Prison island was very beautiful and it was nice to see the giant tortoises on the island and monkeys in the forest. It was just us and our driver/guides which was a pleasant change to being in a massive group as we were able to tailor the day how we wanted it, and we also had our own personal guides.
Yes the food is quite expensive, but no more than normal 5 star prices, and was definitely worth it. We had half board but if we’d known they did full board we probably would have gone for that, as there is nowhere anywhere close by to have lunch. My only comments are that it would have been nice if the half board dinner came with a drink, which we had to pay for separately and the dessert portions were very small but that was probably because they were so delicious and we wanted more!
They provide you with a decent amount of free bottled water, in fact we always had more than we needed. The spa is worth checking out, I had a wonderful complimentary massage which was so good I also went back for the intense after-sun repair which included a facial and massage. For amazing sunsets, spend some time walking along the jetty, which was beautiful and very romantic.
It was the little touches that really made the Residence stand out. When it was BBQ night, they cooked a lovely vegetarian meal for my husband despite only serving meat. All the staff greeting you by name. When I was craving some chocolate and couldn’t see any in the shop, they called the restaurant who delivered a plate of luxury chocolate decorated with flowers to our villa!
On our last night, we had a very special private dinner in our villa. I won’t say too much to spoil the surprise for other honeymooners save as to say it was absolutely amazing. Definitely one to do on your last night. A perfect end to the perfect honeymoon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Zanzibar lies within a lush, forested 32-hectare estate where five-star luxuries sit harmoniously alongside nature's untouched beauty. Feel your spirits soar amid extensive tropical gardens that meet with powder-soft white sand lapped by the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean. Inspired by the island's eclectic cultures, our luxury Zanzibar resort blends modern comforts with Swahili, Omani, British and Indian influences. Indulge in the privacy of the spacious villas, attended on if you wish by your own personal butler. Enjoy carefree days relaxing by your private pool, on the beach, or exploring the gardens on foot or by bicycle. Savour a taste of the Spice Island's unique blend of cultures and cuisines, and the pleasure of sensational spa treatments. Discover more of the island and the waters that surround it in a myriad of activities, from visiting historic sites and rare natural wonders to deep sea fishing and diving with dolphins. Whether you dream of a quiet couple's retreat or fun in the sun for the whole family, embrace all the delights of our island life at The Residence Zanzibar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your The Residence Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Zanzibar Hotel Kizimkazi
- The Residence Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Kizimkazi