“Money Hungry”
Review of Kizi Dolphin Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kizimkazi
Kizi Dolphin Lodge
Belvidere
“Money Hungry”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I will say that the staff was quite nice, the rooms were clean. However, they just seemed to want money in cash and in American. I felt this was rather ridiculous. I planned a Dolphin trip and the people taking me there weren't even ready to go when I was told to be ready. We had to drive to a place where I alone went in a boat with 2 men that I never met before. At the end of the trip I was going to split cab fare with a couple other women I had met at the hotel. That wasn't permitted either. Just felt taken advantage of and NO there is nothing to do at or near the hotel. For me, very boring.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor. Great view, lots of stairs to climb. They lock all doors at night so you ar...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Lisa B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife spent four days at Kizi Dolphin Lodge as part of our honeymoon. The owners (Vita and Abdul) are extremely friendly and helpful with everything. I recommend booking day trips with them, since some of the fishermen by the beach are a bit shady (one of them called Jambo (James) ripped me off with a fake deal). Snorkeling in the area is very good, probably better than around Stone Town. I very much recommend the food at the hotel, especially the potato balls that they serve for dinner. For a beach experience that is a bit more pristine than the beaches in Kizimkazi, I recommend day trips to Jambiani, which can be organized by the owners of the Kizi Dolphin Lodge.

Room Tip: Make sure it's near the WiFi router in the restaurant.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy E
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Actually everything was bad except owners and foods. Plumbing problem, broken power generator, wrong room... As i told, may be we're unlucky.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Kizimkazi hotels

Kempton Park, South Africa
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Complements to staff, guys you were awasome. You gave us confort that the decision we made to visit the beach instead of being in the city was a good one. We enjoyed everything including the meals.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 September 2011

While planning a short "hooray" trip to Tanzania, I have decided to avoid big cities and went straight on to search for some hide-away on the Zanzibar island.

Arrived late afternoon to Dar-es-Salaam on EK 725 daily flight from Dubai International. Unfortunately because of traffic I could not make it for the last ferry which costs USD 35 and had to rush back to airport to catch a plane. Must admit that the 20 minute journey on a small 12-passenger aircraft during sunset was rather overwhelming experience and well worth the USD 75.

After arriving to Zanzibar (make sure you have your yellow fever vaccination record on you) I got on a taxi for over an hour long journey to Kizimkazi beach.
It is located down south from Stone town in rural areas. The Kizimkazi village has max 1000 inhabitants and it is a very simple living. There is one small nursery, school and besides Dolphin lodge, another two small hotels.
I believe during my visit it was only myself and another couple staying in the hotel next door, who were visiting at that time. So yes, ultimate runaway from touristy hot spots.

Kizi Dolphin is a nice small and very well maintained house. The room has its own bathroom with flushing toilet and no water flow disruptions. Spacious and little harder bed with mosquito nets feels almost princessy and I personally recovered my huge sleep deficit during my two nights there. Everything is spotlessly clean. Staff is very friendly and you can expect anything but anonymous atmosphere of big hotels. It feels more like coming to stay in friends family house.
There is a descent meal menu, breakfast full of fresh sweet fruits and juices... heaven.
Downturn are the occasional power outages, especially in the evening.
Location is great, right by the beach, but you have to reach the strip where fishermen dock their boats.

Owner of the place also organizes trips tao snorkel with dolphins in open sea, trip to Stone town or romantic dinner on sand banks for couples.

It was not a matter of luxury and spoiling in its five star meaning. Zanzibar is still developing and life in the rural areas is very simple. People though are extremely friendly and security was no issue.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo