“undermanned”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Juan
NorMi2's Beachfront Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 1 January 2012

we were at normy2's resort after xmas. the vicinity was not that clean...cats roaming all over. cobwebs hanging in the rooms. the staff were good but can only give as much because they were only two of them doing all around tasks, from the reception to attending guests needs and complaints. the tv in our room was broken and could not be replaced. the aircon was not working well. you wont expect prompt service at the restaurant. meals are served after an hour or so, we have to go back and forth the restaurant to check if they could already serve our breakfast, which turned out to be just toast, butter, jam and coffee.
but for the modest rate, we could not expect much. we enjoyed the beach, nonetheless.
twas clean.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank rina a

Reviewed 13 May 2011

This place is fantastic. We had a great weekend they had created for the Pacman fights. Great band on the weekend. Cool Vibes, best in LaUnion. The only place can keep you entertained at international standards.

Room Tip: The 3 bedroom resthouse for groups is a great dea.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank thegoldrush
Reviewed 27 November 2010

I stayed here for one night this weekend (November 26). I initially planned to spend the rest of my first solo trip to La Union at this place, but I ended up transferring to another resort because although I wanted some space and time alone to sort out my issues, I wasn’t expecting to do practically nothing. As a matter of fact, I was looking forward to being busy with all kinds of water activities and sightseeing, and to say that I was disappointed by Normi2s Beachfront Resort would be an understatement. There’s not too much to do at this resort except surfing (they offer lessons for Php400 per hour; Php200 if you’re just renting a board). It’s a fifteen- to twenty-minute ride from the main surfing strip of San Juan and thirty minutes away from San Fernando. I suppose it was my mistake for not making reservations early, as practically every place in San Juan was already fully booked. This place had some nice reviews, so I thought what the heck.

Another thing I disliked about Normi2s is their limited menu offerings. They basically only have this one piece of cardboard paper where the food choices are written with a felt-tipped marker. All they’ve got are these simple meals that consist of rice, veggies (young corn and string beans), fruit cocktail (for dessert), and your choice of sausages (there were at least three kinds, which from what the staff told me, will be served in two pieces and is about the size of two thumbs—hardly filling at all), or fried fish, or pork chops, or some of those –silog varieties. I’m not a rice person, so finding out that they’ve only got rice meals on the menu was practically an offense to me. Although they were pretty accommodating when I asked them to replace the rice in the tocino meal I ordered with bread, which only came in three slices. I asked them hopefully if the menu they had was perhaps the menu of the day and if the offerings would change the next day, but apparently, that is their menu until December. So for you guys who are thinking of going there sometime soon, a word of advice: Don’t. Or just bring your own food and drinks, which would, sadly, be subject to corkage fees. Also, they don’t have a bar. They used to, but they closed it due to some long-winded reason that the staff doesn’t want to tell the guests. So for those of you (like me) who’s looking forward to grabbing a few cocktails or other alcoholic spirits aside from beer come nightfall, consider yourselves warned. They only serve San Miguel Pale Pilsen and San Mig Light at the resort.

As far as rooms go, the standard airconditioned room I rented at Php1,840 was okay. The airconditioner ran smoothly and I had two beds at my disposal: one double (where I slept the night) and one single (where I laid out my clothes). They also have a closet with several hangers for use and the bathroom was clean (which, for me, is a big deal because who likes a filthy bathroom?). There was a 14-inch “cable” TV at my room, and yes, I intentionally put the quotation marks on “cable” because that feature was practically a joke. Where would you see a cable-enhanced TV that has only six channels and extremely poor reception (in black and white and full of static)? Only at Normi2s. When I talked to the woman at the front desk about it, she told me she’d send someone to my room to get the TV checked and that if the matter couldn’t be fixed, she’d give me a twenty percent discount—which I though was very generous—so I agreed. They didn’t end up fixing the TV and they didn’t give me the discount either, but more on that later.

What about their WiFi service, you might ask? Well, like all other things, it sucks, too. My room was on the second floor (the router, they said was on the third floor) and they told me I could expect to get some pretty good WiFi signal in my room. But lo and behold, I couldn’t get a stable signal! So you can already imagine what the connection was like. In one word: crappy.

Another creepy thing about this resort is its surfing instructors. I don’t know if I was just an isolated case, but my encounter with one of their instructors is one of the reasons why I would never come back to Normi2s. When I checked in at the reception, there was this one guy who was fixing some ropes and learning that I was a guest, he immediately offered surfing lessons and gave me his number. He wasn’t the creepy guy, though; it was his brother. So after I got some sleep, at around 8 or 9, I took a walk by the shore and I passed by the instructor and some guys he was hanging out with at the cottages. K-Long was the name of the instructor who offered me lessons and he told me when I passed that he’d knock on my room by 7 in the morning the next day because he said the waves should be good at that time for a beginner like me. So I agreed and smiled and told him okay and headed back to my room to write since it didn’t seem like I could do anything much. An hour or two later, there was a knock on my door and I thought it was K-Long who was just going to tell me about the appropriate surfing outfit. I really thought it was him because the guy who was at my doorstep was a split image of him. It was his younger brother, Arianne (not sure if I got the spelling right), and he was introducing himself and saying that he heard what I said about getting bored because there ain’t much to do (he was one of the guys who was with K-Long when I passed them on my way to the shore). I just smiled and said yes, I wasn’t expecting that it would be that boring. He then offered to take me to San Fernando City (at 11PM, mind you!) to go to some local discos or bars (yes, he used “disco”). I told him that I’m not really into discos and that I’d rather prefer to hang out in a bar and have a couple of drinks, but that I’m pretty beat and there’s no way in hell I’d be going to someplace unfamiliar with a stranger at the dead of the night. I could tell he was pretty drunk; he kept on making kulet, asking me not to sleep early (as if we were close friends) and it was the appropriate time to go downtown because that’s when things start hopping. I was getting really irritated because no matter how many times I told him I was tired and I want to go to sleep and that maybe we could do that tomorrow when I’ve gotten settled and well rested, he just kept on insisting and finding ways to lengthen the conversation. I’m not a rude person, so I tolerated him for a while. But I reached that point when I just couldn’t handle him and his evident drunkenness, so I just said that I know some pretty influential people in Manila and that I could charge him for harassment, and then I said good night and closed the door and locked the bolts. And please don’t get me started on his broken English and his horrendous p and f sound deficiency.

The next day, I was all set on checking out. So I packed my bags and headed to the front desk an hour before check-out time at 12. The lady there (with the bobbed haircut) told me that I would need to pay for two nights since I didn’t notify them in advance that I’d be checking out on the 27t and that I wouldn’t be getting the twenty percent discount that I was promised the day before when I complained about the TV and WiFi reception. I didn’t even avail of the supposed “continental” breakfast that comes with my booking, which pathetically consists of two slices of bread and some jam and butter. I tried to negotiate and reason with them; I mean, if they’re thinking about the lost sales, they can easily earn that again because there were people coming in for check-in at that time anyway. But she wouldn’t accept any negotiations and insisted that I pay for two nights. So I finally said that I’m not going to pay for two nights’ stay because it’s completely ridiculous. Her last resort was to charge me for half of the one-night stay, which adds up to Php2,760. Now, since I was so tired of arguing with her and I just wanted to get out of there, I agreed and paid the bill. It’s still a ridiculous amount of course, but there’s no point in reasoning with unreasonable people.

If this resort has one redeeming factor, it’s one of their staff members. Her name is Joanne and she’s uber nice and courteous. She’s the one who dealt with my booking at the last minute and took care of my request about the rice-bread slice switch. She also secretly told me that had she be the one in the front desk when I checked out, she would have charged me only for the one night that I stayed.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank gypsysoul08
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I and my family stayed at The Beautiful NorMi2's Beachfront Resort (family run a quite Resort ) about 2 weeks a welcoming homley place pleasing and anything you ask for is no trouble at all even with Breakfast, and lunch ideas ,planty of sea food on menu indoor .Restaurant Clean Traditional Holiday chalets with showers and with air-conditioning,gardens with picnic areas.bar, kids pool and swimming, pool.On the beach picnic areas under shade..
Chill out unwind read a book swin,Surf the waves or just walk the Beautiful beach sea line, The Beautiful NorMi2's Beachfront Resort can arrange any functions wedding with full menu inside or out side like i said nothing to much trouble to do from a family run business
Would I go again the answer is yes..

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank PhiloSuffolk
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I booked this place because the reviews on Tripadvisor where good and I wanted to do some surfing. Unfortunately I was they only one in the entire hotel. When I arrived after an 8 hour bustrip from Manila they informed me that the cook was not there this night and that I had to take a jeepney to San Fernando (25 min) for food.
The breakfast was included but it turned out to be dried fish. They could provide eggs or toas but I had to pay for it. The room was clean but there where no sheets on the bed. That is ok as I travel with my own but for more than P2000 I expect a little bit more!
The pool is ok but every morning from 7 until 10 and every afternoon from 3 pm until 6.30 pm there is a swimmingclub in the pool. So don't think about sleeping late if you have a cottage at the pool.
All in all, I think the reviews were very optimistic and I would not stay here again. In the middle of nowhere, not a wave in sight and very overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank satehstokje
Reviewed 17 February 2010

When we arrived at NorMi2's we found that the rates had increased to the "busy season" prices even though their website was still advertising lower prices and the hotel was nearly empty. We negotiated to a slightly lower price after twenty minutes or so.....and was then informed that we would now not be recieving comp. breakfast. In addition, the "bar" does not open until 9pm, and the restaurant looked like a sori sori stand. There is a huge desolate beach on the property, and they have a large swimming pool. This place is in the middle of nothing.....so you better bring everything with you. The rooms are shabby (which is ok) but not for the price that they were charging. You will not find any boat activities of any kind, nor will you find waves big enough to even boogie board on......the only recreational activity offered was a broken down jet ski that I would not trust in the ocean.......we were unsatisfied with the prices, the service, and the inevitable boredom that was to come. In the end, all 12 of us packed back into our van and went south to find a great place to stay called the Bali Hai Resort ( read my review) Don't waste time at NorMi2's!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank BonePickers916
Reviewed 8 March 2009

We went to Normi2s on our annual company outing last March 2009. All twenty of us are absolutely beach bums so there we went! The guys had a great time at Beach Volleyball, swimming, and....bumming around! We had a total of four rooms. The aircon room we got was large enough for all seven burly guys billeted there (there was an extra mattress for guy#7 coz it was just meant for 6!). The three other non-aircon rooms were very, very cozy! The area was wide enough for us to horse around...which we did all day and night! The staff were nice...except for a few tolerable glitches along the way...
We'd love to go back there to have a few surfing lessons...missed that the last time coz good ol' China Sea horizon just stayed straight flat then. Hopefully by then, the wifi signal has reached all rooms...and by then, coffee cups will be available to guests. :)

• Stayed: March 2009
P&M Final Option Beach Resort
Costa Villa Beach Resort
Costa Villa Beach Resort
#6 of 7 in San Juan

Been to NorMi2's Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!