“P&M Last Resort and Awesome Hotel”

P&M Final Option Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I am from the U.S. and can be quite picky at times even when I should have a more liberal set of expectations. My friend and I booked P&M hotel and our stay turned out to be a bit of a combination in that our accommodation was at their "sister" hotel called Awesome Hotel but we ate at P&M since Awesome has only been open for a few weeks. I must say both hotels were great. The food at P&M was excellent, I had the filet mignon and it was excellent quality, cooked to perfection and actually had nice presentation (beyond expectations). My friend had the salmon special with a mustard sauce and that was also equally delicious.

Awesome Hotel was our accommodation and the room was done very well with all the modern technology and amenities. It was decorated nicely, extremely clean, a 4 star experience at a hotel on the beach, go figure. The location is great, both hotels are basically right on the beach (only a few steps away). The owner of the hotel, David, was extremely friendly and welcoming, I typically never write reviews but this time I think it is worth letting people know about this place. Oh, and the wine selection was actually interesting, I selected a German wine that I knew nothing about but was recommended by the waitress. This was very good, I was again pleasantly surprised. I used my wine app to try and see if this is in the U.S. and it does not seem to be imported to the U.S. (too bad...).

The grounds of these hotels are very clean and comfortable and the beach is all pure sand (not lots of rocks or shells). I went in the ocean and again it is all pure sand - I always hate stepping on stones and shells in the water...

Overall, I give this 4 stars but really that is just my conservative nature.

Room Tip: The room I had was NOT at P&M, it was at their "sister" hotel called Awesome Hotel. A...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keith A

Reviewed 21 April 2014

At the last minute, I had to find a resort during Holy Week, as it would be our first family vacation in years. I am glad that Final Option ended up being my only available option, because I now have a favorite place in La Union :)

Service:
-Kudos to Ms.Charm from the Front Desk!
Booking was easy, despite reserving last minute for Holy Week. They were accommodating and always update you about your booking status.
-When we got there we found the staff to be friendly,professional and very helpful. Unlike some other local resorts I have been to, not once did I feel that our requests were a hassle for them. They have that honest, hardworking, down-to-earth, Ilocano charm.
-We risked leaving gadgets in the room, knowing well that housekeeping would make up the room while we were gone. Everything was still in its proper place when we came back.

Food:
Good points:
-Our dinners (2 nights): pasta with pesto sauce, carrot pumpkin soup, pinakbet, shrimp in coconut milk, sinigang na bangus belly, and german pancake with a scoop of ice cream. All yummy stuff, all recommended!

-Breakfast buffet: Good selection -- cereal, bread, fruits, rice, fish, bacon, local longganiza, hotdogs, and eggs. Plus coffee and choice of juice.
Tasty fish, flavorful sausages, speedy service at the egg station.

Points for improvement:
-Bacon that day was tough/chewy..
-I wish they had more fruit selections than just watermelon and some strawberries.
-It would be better if the milk carton for the cereal was kept chilled. Cereal taken with room temp milk is not that great.

Room:
Because of Final Option being fully booked, we were given a room at Awesome Hotel, their new building. No regrets about that!
Good points:
-complimentary coffee, water, towels, and toiletries.
-room is clean, spacious, with a user friendly (&quiet!) a/c and ceiling fan (if you open the door and just use the fan, it's nice and breezy anyway)
-you know it's a good room when your toddler is excited about coming back into the room, even before you get the key card out of your bag.
-It had ample storage space for each person, a flat screen TV, and wifi.
-The beds were great! As two doctors looking for some R&R, we really appreciated the premium beddings, which made all the difference in having a really good night's sleep (or a relaxing 'lounging while watching TV' session). Our toddler loved the bed too -- he kept climbing up on it and asking for the "pillow, pillow. a pillow" over and over again.
-Bathroom is well ventilated, bright, clean, with a hairdryer. All necessary toiletries&towels provided for.
-Good water pressure, nice huge rainshower head, with options of handheld shower(ideal for bathing the toddler) and faucet (for cleaning dirty feet only)
-a bidet. (that is ALWAYS a good thing)

Points for improvement:
-panel that divides the shower from the rest of the bathroom maybe should be extended about 6 inches more? the water easily splashes into the rest of the bathroom.
-OR maybe there should be at least a 1 to 2 inch tall divider on the floor at the shower boundary, for the same reason -- the water seeps onto the rest of the bathroom floor when you shower.
It's a good thing they provide a floor rug!

Beach:
-okay for families with small kids.
-Sand is fine, beach is vast. I didn't see any garbage. Thank you for keeping San Juan clean!
-Water is calm in the morning, and in the afternoon, waves although bigger, are not dangerously so. There are no dangerous 'dips' underwater, and water stays at about waist level even up to a faaar distance from shore.
-The rescue team's tent is at a convenient location in front of the hotel's beach entrance, with a good vantage point of the water.
I saw one of their men sprinting through the sand, chasing after a kid's inflatable toy that was quickly swept all the way down the beach because of the strong wind. No feat is too small for these lifeguards. He was the yaya's hero that day, I'm sure :)
-Beach has more than ample space for you to have your own personal play/lounge/swim area.
-They also have Kayak rental, Surfboard rental, and surf lessons.
-There is a volleyball net and frisbees available if beach sports are your thing, and a couple of 'cabanas' should you choose to stay in the shade.
-A spray hose is conveniently located in the driveway of Awesome Hotel (over a drainage grill) so guests can wash off all the sand before reentering the hotel premises.

Other notes:
Parking:
I think because this was Holy Week, and usually more than 1 family stays in each room, the parking was full.
When we arrived, we had to park almost a block away from Final Option, in a dark residential area. Even if we had a reservation, parking space was hard to come by.
Thankfully, the guard promised he would inform us as soon as a car would leave the parking lot, and we were able to park after half an hour.
Maybe priority parking should be given to guests with reservations over the walk-ins, or more parking space should be made available, in proportion to number of rooms.

Overall, I was happy with my stay. I wish we could've stayed longer so that we'd have more time on the beach. The only sucky thing about that vacation was our limited time and the arduous drive home to Manila. I would go back again, when NLEX is not so congested. And maybe with more people, so someone can watch the kid while I give surfing lessons a try.:)

Room Tip: Higher floors at Awesome Hotel (the new building) will have a better view of the ocean, and less noi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank erx_md
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It was really an unplanned trip to La Union. We've just had enough in Baguio City, and my children were already wanting to go to the beach. So I have decided to go down from Baguio and headed straight to La Union. We scouted all beaches that we came to pass along the road. Almost everything was fully booked. There were some, surprisingly no guests but if you check the facilities, they were terrible. Then we came to Kahuna beach resort, bad thing is they were also fully booked. But the good thing is, their staff during that time, was kind enough to tell us about Final Option beach resort. So, we drove straight to San Juan La Union. Luckily, there were still 3 rooms available, and we chose their DeLuxe Room with 2 queen size beds. Worth 5600 a night of stay. It is good for 4 persons only, but we weren't charge for extra person, even if there were 5 of us. Here are the good things we have experienced.

1. State of the art door locks. They are using punch cards
2. Building is equipped with an elevator even if it's just 4-storey building.
3. The room is very clean, you'll get ashamed of yourself if you get in with dirty slip-ons.
4. Good ambiance inside the room. White and clean beddings and pillows. I also love the blue neon lights around the corner of the ceiling. It has very comfortable couch too. Our 5th person slept on the couch very comfortably.
5. Nice air-conditioning system. Ceiling mounted, very quiet and with digital control
6. LED TV with Cignal cable system
7. Personal ref, and some complimentary bottled water, coffee and tea for 4 persons
6. No-smoking room. It is equipped with smoke detector
7. Clean bathroom with state of the art plumbing. I think their faucets, shower etc were all imported. As I don't see those brand in Wilcon and Home Depot. Of course, they have hot and cold shower.
8. They can cook good food, with nice presentation. Their steaks and sausages are must-try for everyone. Steaks cost only 499, while the sausage was around 200 pesos.
9. Well-mannered staff, treats you very well.
10. They clean their pools every morning.

Overall, I've had total relaxation in this resort. Once you are inside the room, it's like you never would want to go out again and just spend the night sleeping. It's not because the surrounding is terrible, but it's because you just want to enjoy the room.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 207, beneath it I guess is room 107, facing the pool. Take 107 if you feel like ge...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank monaris09
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Final Option is a good alternative family resort. Our stay was generally relaxing-- we love their food (particularly the schnitzel) and the beds are comfortable. our kids enjoyed surfing and we appreciate the staff who trained them.

we hope that they will hire more staff, particularly now that they have a new building. At the time of our stay, we saw that they were already overworked.

Room Tip: stay away from the videoke or bar area (3rd floor of the old building). Stay in the new building. Ro...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2014

It was my first time to go to La Union with my friends and I am very happy we got to stay in P&M Final Option Beach Resort.

When we entered the room, the first thing I noticed was that it smelled clean and nice. True enough, I did not find any cobwebs or dust balls in the room or any dirt/stains on the bedsheets and towels. The shower curtain also did not smell funky (or have molds). The room had cabinets, multiple chairs and tables, ref, fan, television and even a kitchen sink. It was very well thought of. We also had chairs and table outside our room, which was a nice spot to enjoy the fresh air and to take in the surroundings during mornings and after our swims.

The resort in general is also clean. I did not see any litter on the resort grounds during our stay.

The staff was friendly, accommodating, patient, competent, and efficient. We never had to tell them twice what we wanted. Whenever we pass by one of them, they would stop, smile and greet us. I love it that they made sure we were happy and comfortable in our stay.

The food was tasty, reasonably priced and the portions were generous. They even put garnishes on the food so that the whole dish looks appetizing and was presented really well. Our food was always promptly served with a smile, wherever we are.. be it in the huts near the beach, at the Piper Bar or at our rooms. During our stay, I quickly became addicted to their coffee (the one that comes with the Breakfast set) and their cappuccino. I love the details that they put into it, like how the breakfast coffee comes with a cookie and that their cappuccino is topped with chocolate syrup. The utensils, plates, and glasses were also clean.

The resort also has multiple parking spots, so bringing our own car was not a problem. It was very convenient for us because we were able to park near our room. We also had free wifi. They even arranged surfing lessons for us and also have surfboards for rent, we did not have to worry a thing.

Located at a quiet spot in the beachfront strip of La Union, we had the beach to ourselves and we were really able to enjoy our swim in peace. It really felt very exclusive and private, which was something I'm looking.

I would definitely return to P&M Final Option Beach Resort on my next trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2014

What a GREAT spot this was for us to make our "home base" for a week while exploring the grand island of Luzon. We were lucky enough to book far enough in advance to get the stand alone suite over the restaurant that is the best room in the place which has an astounding, close-up view of the beach and ocean and sunsets from the bay window and the private deck right outside. We LOVED sitting their in the evenings listening to our IPOD playing cards and sipping cocktails. And the room was nice and quiet and well furnished and appointed and very comfy with the A/C to use anytime you need it.

We explored the coast and the front office staff were all extremely helpful in assisting and organizing our explorations, they arranged for rental of a motorbike for us to use for a couple days (FUN!). and quickly accommodated our special request for a private driver to take us to Banaue and see the rice terraces (don't miss it but plan ahead for it, folks, it is NOT easy to get to the rice terraces and I was very glad I did not attempt the drive in my rented Corolla! It's pretty gnarly!).

WE loved exploring and visiting the public markets in San Fernando which was the best public market we found in our 3 weeks in the Philippines. And for surfers? It's a surfer's paradise! Calm and easy for novices like us in the morning and get's bigger and riled up for more seasoned riders in the afternoons.

The food is great (don't miss the short ribs or the Lumpia Shanghai- YUM!) and I appreciated German beers they have available (I can only drink so much San Miguel before I need a beer with some actual TASTE in it!) and all service staff in the kitchen and front office are top notch and very nice. We especially appreciated the service and attention that Brian, Emz and the others gave us and, as mentioned, the two girls we worked with in the front office were top notch and always glad to help as wee (I'm sure, partly, because we established ourselves as generous tippers from the start. People! the country is still very poor and has, as a whole, experienced the worst typhoon in modern history- don't be freaking STINGY with these very kind, hardworking people whom do not get paid very well for the long hours they put in! Shame on you travelers that do not tip! And tip the service staff personally with cash. Who knows what happens to the $'s if you just tack it on to your final bill and pay with a credit card).

The beach is very clean and well kept and you can walk for miles and not encounter another soul. It is a bit removed from the actual town centers of San Juan and San Fernando but that's the way you WANT it if you want privacy, quietude and a feeling of having the whole beach to yourself because...Well, you DO have the whole beach to yourself!

Really, can not say enough good things about the staff and this fine resort. It is a beautiful spot but the highly trained and very attentive staff are what make it one of the best spots! What are you waiting for- make a reservation in Paradise today!

Room Tip: No fitness center or spa- go swim in the ocean instead!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mnlgoodin
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed at this place last weekend. I'm very impressed with it. The location is perfectly set right by the beach. The grounds were nice and clean. I love the color of the buildings. The rooms were very clean and smelled nice. The bed was very comfy. The shower got so hot that it created steam. I'm not complaining about this!!! I'm an American and I love to take a very hot shower. Living here in the Philippines I've gotten used to warm showers. Even though my condo has a water heater in the shower, it does not get hot.

Reading the reviews about the food I thought it would be better. The food was good, but not great. I did order a steak and it was pretty good though. Everything else I ate there was just OK. Service at the restaurant was really good. The wait staff are very attentive.

Overall service at this place is excellent. The staff is very very friendly and can answer just about any question you might have about the general area. They even knew the exact amount the trike would cost. I'll be going back to San Juan no doubt and when I do, I will be staying at P&M Final Option. For me this place is the only option. I'm not saying it's the best place in the area because I have nothing else to compare it to. But I do know this place is pretty damn good and I don't want to risk being disappointed by another resort in San Juan.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scott D
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa
Awesome Hotel
Awesome Hotel
#1 of 5 in San Juan
Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point
Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - ...
#2 of 5 in San Fernando La Union
#3 of 5 in San Fernando La Union
Marand Resort & Spa
Marand Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bauang

Been to P&M Final Option Beach Resort? Share your experiences!