“Great Experience Overall”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in San Juan
Muntinlupa, Philippines
“Great Experience Overall”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Reservation Process -- Easy. Been planning this trip for a month and have just been talking to them via email so as not to ruin the surprise for my partner. They were very accomodating and
easy to talk to. Everything went according to plan.

Special Request -- Perfect. The things they've selected for the package -- flowers, card, cake room setup and wine -- they're all very tasteful. My partner loved all of them.

Room -- Very Good. I reserved the Deluxe Penthouse Seaview Room with a Special Package for my partner's birthday. The veranda is very spacey; we thought they should put something usable there like beach beds. The room is very quiet, and large! The closet it big, also has a safe to put in your valuables. It would’ve been better if there’s a light above it coz it’s pretty dark in the closet area. The room also included a small refrigerator with a few refreshments, which is nice coz we don’t need to go down to the resto to order. 2 bottles of water are complimentary, plus electric kettle is available to use if you want coffee (2 sachets of Nestle 3 in 1 coffee are on the house, too.). Bathroom is good as well. The television sometimes loses signal and has a very weak connection, so it’s static and has very few channel options. The window facing the sea has a perfect view of the outside, except that at night, the outside has a perfect view of the inside of the room as well, even with the wooden blinds down, so we have to change clothes in the bathroom coz we felt so exposed. It would be better if they’ve installed curtains too, or change their choice of blinds.

Also, it rained the night of our stay, so we preferred to stay in the room and rest. We wanted to order massage service, but since there is no intercom in the room, I needed to go outside in the cold, find cover under our roof, and wait for a waiter to pass by below. It’s hard because it’s a hassle to order food or get any service when it’s raining.

Beach and Pool -- Perfect. On day 1, the beach is all covered with brown see weeds, so we thought of just swimming in the pool for the day. The pool is small, but since it’s off peak, only a few people are there, so we still enjoyed it. The jaccuzzi is really nice as well. The next day, the beach cleared out, and the water is really, really clear! Too bad, waves are too calm for surfing, but perfect for swimming!

Overall, I would recommend this resort to everyone. It is really relaxing, and staff is very accommodating. We are definitely going back, planning to do it in a yearly basis! :)

Thanks P & M Final Option, you made my partner’s birthday a very memorable one. Cheers!

Room Tip: Penthouse seaview deluxe room is definitely the best. Very private (except that one time when a coup...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cxLean_1223

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Went for the restaurant only - I have no opinion on the hotel!

We ordered some sizzling Hungarian sausage as appetizer, lamb steak (requested medium rare) and pork schnitzel, with a bottle of riesling.

The sausage was very good, the lamb turned out quite gamey - more likely it was mutton or goat instead. I don't mind, but they should advertise it correctly. The potato salad side was awesome. The pork schnitzel was a healthy portion, and quite tasty.

The riesling was a one litre bottle that would probably cost 4€ in Germany, and set us back about 600 pesos here - not that I'm complaining, it was a good wine, and riesling normally costs more in the Philippines. The only thing that was a bit curious was that they had no ice bucket for the white wine, but served the red wine later on in such a bucket.

Will definitely go back again. Maybe this time we'll try some of their German beers...

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xristoph
Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Came here for work. But glad we were checked in here as we get to relax at the end of the day.

Rooms are quite big, water is strong. Our room is right in front of the reception are, so their light is on the whole night, lighting up our room through the windows. lots and lots of socket for chargers!

have small ref and kitchen sink, which is quite nice touch.

beds and mattress are okay, but don't expect anything 5 star. tv is small, but have most cable channels.

the band upstairs is quite loud at night, even more so when you're staying in front of the pool because it's open until 11pm. lots of swimmers making noise! we know because our companion was checked in front of the pool.

beach is excellent, have beach chairs for lounging around.

parking space available.

food: we have not much option but to eat there for 3 dinners, and 4 breakfasts. meals are so-so, kilawin is excellent, but make sure you know what you're ordering. coffee is nice. breakfast is okay, too. don't get sizzling squid because it will be just squid stew on hot plate! beef kare kare is tail and beef skin.

there's a small sari sari store down the road, can get some basic stuff if you think hotel is expensive.

Room Tip: ask for a room below the live music instead of in front of the pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geraldine C
Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I am from the U.S. and can be quite picky at times even when I should have a more liberal set of expectations. My friend and I booked P&M hotel and our stay turned out to be a bit of a combination in that our accommodation was at their "sister" hotel called Awesome Hotel but we ate at P&M since Awesome has only been open for a few weeks. I must say both hotels were great. The food at P&M was excellent, I had the filet mignon and it was excellent quality, cooked to perfection and actually had nice presentation (beyond expectations). My friend had the salmon special with a mustard sauce and that was also equally delicious.

Awesome Hotel was our accommodation and the room was done very well with all the modern technology and amenities. It was decorated nicely, extremely clean, a 4 star experience at a hotel on the beach, go figure. The location is great, both hotels are basically right on the beach (only a few steps away). The owner of the hotel, David, was extremely friendly and welcoming, I typically never write reviews but this time I think it is worth letting people know about this place. Oh, and the wine selection was actually interesting, I selected a German wine that I knew nothing about but was recommended by the waitress. This was very good, I was again pleasantly surprised. I used my wine app to try and see if this is in the U.S. and it does not seem to be imported to the U.S. (too bad...).

The grounds of these hotels are very clean and comfortable and the beach is all pure sand (not lots of rocks or shells). I went in the ocean and again it is all pure sand - I always hate stepping on stones and shells in the water...

Overall, I give this 4 stars but really that is just my conservative nature.

Room Tip: The room I had was NOT at P&M, it was at their "sister" hotel called Awesome Hotel. A...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Keith A
Marikina, Philippines
Reviewed 21 April 2014

At the last minute, I had to find a resort during Holy Week, as it would be our first family vacation in years. I am glad that Final Option ended up being my only available option, because I now have a favorite place in La Union :)

Service:
-Kudos to Ms.Charm from the Front Desk!
Booking was easy, despite reserving last minute for Holy Week. They were accommodating and always update you about your booking status.
-When we got there we found the staff to be friendly,professional and very helpful. Unlike some other local resorts I have been to, not once did I feel that our requests were a hassle for them. They have that honest, hardworking, down-to-earth, Ilocano charm.
-We risked leaving gadgets in the room, knowing well that housekeeping would make up the room while we were gone. Everything was still in its proper place when we came back.

Food:
Good points:
-Our dinners (2 nights): pasta with pesto sauce, carrot pumpkin soup, pinakbet, shrimp in coconut milk, sinigang na bangus belly, and german pancake with a scoop of ice cream. All yummy stuff, all recommended!

-Breakfast buffet: Good selection -- cereal, bread, fruits, rice, fish, bacon, local longganiza, hotdogs, and eggs. Plus coffee and choice of juice.
Tasty fish, flavorful sausages, speedy service at the egg station.

Points for improvement:
-Bacon that day was tough/chewy..
-I wish they had more fruit selections than just watermelon and some strawberries.
-It would be better if the milk carton for the cereal was kept chilled. Cereal taken with room temp milk is not that great.

Room:
Because of Final Option being fully booked, we were given a room at Awesome Hotel, their new building. No regrets about that!
Good points:
-complimentary coffee, water, towels, and toiletries.
-room is clean, spacious, with a user friendly (&quiet!) a/c and ceiling fan (if you open the door and just use the fan, it's nice and breezy anyway)
-you know it's a good room when your toddler is excited about coming back into the room, even before you get the key card out of your bag.
-It had ample storage space for each person, a flat screen TV, and wifi.
-The beds were great! As two doctors looking for some R&R, we really appreciated the premium beddings, which made all the difference in having a really good night's sleep (or a relaxing 'lounging while watching TV' session). Our toddler loved the bed too -- he kept climbing up on it and asking for the "pillow, pillow. a pillow" over and over again.
-Bathroom is well ventilated, bright, clean, with a hairdryer. All necessary toiletries&towels provided for.
-Good water pressure, nice huge rainshower head, with options of handheld shower(ideal for bathing the toddler) and faucet (for cleaning dirty feet only)
-a bidet. (that is ALWAYS a good thing)

Points for improvement:
-panel that divides the shower from the rest of the bathroom maybe should be extended about 6 inches more? the water easily splashes into the rest of the bathroom.
-OR maybe there should be at least a 1 to 2 inch tall divider on the floor at the shower boundary, for the same reason -- the water seeps onto the rest of the bathroom floor when you shower.
It's a good thing they provide a floor rug!

Beach:
-okay for families with small kids.
-Sand is fine, beach is vast. I didn't see any garbage. Thank you for keeping San Juan clean!
-Water is calm in the morning, and in the afternoon, waves although bigger, are not dangerously so. There are no dangerous 'dips' underwater, and water stays at about waist level even up to a faaar distance from shore.
-The rescue team's tent is at a convenient location in front of the hotel's beach entrance, with a good vantage point of the water.
I saw one of their men sprinting through the sand, chasing after a kid's inflatable toy that was quickly swept all the way down the beach because of the strong wind. No feat is too small for these lifeguards. He was the yaya's hero that day, I'm sure :)
-Beach has more than ample space for you to have your own personal play/lounge/swim area.
-They also have Kayak rental, Surfboard rental, and surf lessons.
-There is a volleyball net and frisbees available if beach sports are your thing, and a couple of 'cabanas' should you choose to stay in the shade.
-A spray hose is conveniently located in the driveway of Awesome Hotel (over a drainage grill) so guests can wash off all the sand before reentering the hotel premises.

Other notes:
Parking:
I think because this was Holy Week, and usually more than 1 family stays in each room, the parking was full.
When we arrived, we had to park almost a block away from Final Option, in a dark residential area. Even if we had a reservation, parking space was hard to come by.
Thankfully, the guard promised he would inform us as soon as a car would leave the parking lot, and we were able to park after half an hour.
Maybe priority parking should be given to guests with reservations over the walk-ins, or more parking space should be made available, in proportion to number of rooms.

Overall, I was happy with my stay. I wish we could've stayed longer so that we'd have more time on the beach. The only sucky thing about that vacation was our limited time and the arduous drive home to Manila. I would go back again, when NLEX is not so congested. And maybe with more people, so someone can watch the kid while I give surfing lessons a try.:)

Room Tip: Higher floors at Awesome Hotel (the new building) will have a better view of the ocean, and less noi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank erx_md
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 21 April 2014

It was really an unplanned trip to La Union. We've just had enough in Baguio City, and my children were already wanting to go to the beach. So I have decided to go down from Baguio and headed straight to La Union. We scouted all beaches that we came to pass along the road. Almost everything was fully booked. There were some, surprisingly no guests but if you check the facilities, they were terrible. Then we came to Kahuna beach resort, bad thing is they were also fully booked. But the good thing is, their staff during that time, was kind enough to tell us about Final Option beach resort. So, we drove straight to San Juan La Union. Luckily, there were still 3 rooms available, and we chose their DeLuxe Room with 2 queen size beds. Worth 5600 a night of stay. It is good for 4 persons only, but we weren't charge for extra person, even if there were 5 of us. Here are the good things we have experienced.

1. State of the art door locks. They are using punch cards
2. Building is equipped with an elevator even if it's just 4-storey building.
3. The room is very clean, you'll get ashamed of yourself if you get in with dirty slip-ons.
4. Good ambiance inside the room. White and clean beddings and pillows. I also love the blue neon lights around the corner of the ceiling. It has very comfortable couch too. Our 5th person slept on the couch very comfortably.
5. Nice air-conditioning system. Ceiling mounted, very quiet and with digital control
6. LED TV with Cignal cable system
7. Personal ref, and some complimentary bottled water, coffee and tea for 4 persons
6. No-smoking room. It is equipped with smoke detector
7. Clean bathroom with state of the art plumbing. I think their faucets, shower etc were all imported. As I don't see those brand in Wilcon and Home Depot. Of course, they have hot and cold shower.
8. They can cook good food, with nice presentation. Their steaks and sausages are must-try for everyone. Steaks cost only 499, while the sausage was around 200 pesos.
9. Well-mannered staff, treats you very well.
10. They clean their pools every morning.

Overall, I've had total relaxation in this resort. Once you are inside the room, it's like you never would want to go out again and just spend the night sleeping. It's not because the surrounding is terrible, but it's because you just want to enjoy the room.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 207, beneath it I guess is room 107, facing the pool. Take 107 if you feel like ge...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank monaris09
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Final Option is a good alternative family resort. Our stay was generally relaxing-- we love their food (particularly the schnitzel) and the beds are comfortable. our kids enjoyed surfing and we appreciate the staff who trained them.

we hope that they will hire more staff, particularly now that they have a new building. At the time of our stay, we saw that they were already overworked.

Room Tip: stay away from the videoke or bar area (3rd floor of the old building). Stay in the new building. Ro...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Bauang
Costa Villa Beach Resort
Costa Villa Beach Resort
#6 of 7 in San Juan

Been to P&M Final Option Beach Resort? Share your experiences!