“Going downhill”
Review of Sunee Grand Hotel

Sunee Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Ubon Ratchathani
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here 1st-5th December, which is when they have a montly promotional rate of 1200 baht for a superior room. This was our 5th or 6th stay here in the past few years and things seem to be going downhill. Upon arrival our reservation was initially denied but eventually we were given a room. Saw a lot of new staff faces and they seemed less friendly than the previous ones. The replacement of soaps and shampoos with cheap containers is real tight. For 4 of our 5 night stay, the swimming pool was shut for works. Ok is has to happen periodically but there were no notices around the hotel which is unacceptable. So made the mistake of taking my 3 year old daughter to the water slide park attached to the hotel. Was greeted by totally disinterested staff, sitting around playing games on their phones. Waste of money. I guess the biggest problem here is that the Sunee has no competitor at this price range to push their standards up. What Ubon really needs is a boutique-style hotel in the 2000-5000 baht price range to give the Sunee some much needed competition. Might look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I never thought my review of this hotel would include a possible ghost story but it does. My family spent a few nights here connecting with other family members who lived nearby. As we checked into our twin superior room, we found it dirty and dusty and not clean enough to stay in. Once we complained, we were told there were no other superiors available and were up-sold to a larger, more expensive room. Like we had a choice? Once in the room on the 7th floor we found the air conditioner to be dirty and all 3 of us had allergy issues with the AC, at this point we were tired and just dealt with it. Over the next couple of nights, we experienced something straight out of a ghost hunters episode. Most noticeable was persistent knocking at our door and on the windows. I would get up each time to find no one there and the impossibility of someone outside our window being that it was a 20m drop to any ledge. Also, with the AC off we noticed drastic spikes and drops in temperature that would move around the room as we sat still. Sounds of children playing and footsteps at 3am outside our door to find no one there. Each night we were awakened 4-5 times to unexplainable occurrences and what felt like someone touching us, particularly our 3 year old...only to find no one there. Needless to say, we were exhausted the whole trip. As we checked out, we complained and found the staff knows of these experiences from other guests. A bit of research showed the hotel was actually a hospital before converting to a hotel. I am not an expert on ghosts, but I can say that my experience here will stay with me for the rest of my life. For the price, not worth it my friends. Freaky!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank klb716
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have stayed here several times and sadly have seen some cost cutting measures such as removing individual cosmetic bottles and replacing them with refillable large bottles. The 'conditioning' shampoo is horrible and left my hair very dry.

The staff insisted there were no superior rooms available so we had to pay the extra for a deluxe, which is generally darker and right next to the smoking room.

Despite my negativity the rooms remain tasteful and represent good value for the inclusions.

The pool gets busy after school hours, but is very quiet of a morning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Currently staying in this hotel - very clean and spacious room.
Located just next to a mall (restaurant, bank and shops). The view is not fantastic (view on parking but we don t care). As I only stay one evening as a stop on a roadtrip, I have no idea if it is close to the city centre.
Free wifi in lobby and rooms - just great !
Breakfast : a mix of Asian and European food (some bread and pastries but not so many) pretty good - especially the soup !
Services is ok, receptionists speak English but not the other staff - they try to help in any case even if they don't understand.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Lazy staff at the reception. Very poor English-knowlege by the staff. The Hotel trys to get money for every normal request (f.e. a little ice was charged with 60 Bath. The room-service picked up my dirty loundry and gave it in the loundry. I did not ask for that.). Old and damaged furniture and technical equipment (TV-WiFi). Never again.

Room Tip: Request renovatet rooms (there are some).
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2013

If your travels bring you to Ubon Ratchathani, and you don't mind staying in a large hotel, the Sunee Grand is probably the best in town. The rooms are large, modern, and very comfortable, with all the necessary amenities, including free WiFi. The hotel has a gym and outdoor pool, and is connected to a large shopping mail, with plenty of restaurants, shops and a movie theatre. There's even a water park on the rooftop of the mall. In the evenings, there is often live music in the lounge off the lobby. The breakfast buffet is included in most bookings, and has an ample mix mix of western and local foods. Perhaps the only drawback is that there is not much within walking distance of the hotel, as it's probably about a mile from the center of the city.

Room Tip: I spent just slightly more for a deluxe room, and it was well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I went there on a short notice business trip. This hotel was my walk-in as a result of google search. The room rate was average with some discount due to the nature of my business trip. The room is modern and well equipped as well as spacious. Wifi is fast. The pool as slides are great. Spa and massage service were excellent. There were variety of food to choose from for breakfast.
Hotel manager was very helpful when we asked for special rate for long stay. the location is convenient and the hotel is connected to a mall where goods and grocery can be purchased.
In conclusion, this hotel is gem and even better than some hotel with the same rate in big city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business