“If you're in Ubon and need somewhere to stay I would recomend this hotel”
Review of Sunee Grand Hotel

Sunee Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Ubon Ratchathani
Manchester, United Kingdom
“If you're in Ubon and need somewhere to stay I would recomend this hotel”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife lives not far from Ubon and we needed to stay the night in the city to do some business, this hotel is ideally situated with a shopping mall beneath it, located centrally you can get anywhere you need to easily, the rooms are of a high standard and has been said by someone else higher floors give the better views. The hotel has a decent pool and restaurant is very good although breakfast is fairly standard buffet service. Parking is complimentary in the multi story as long as your ticket is validated at reception.

Room Tip: If your in a car park in the more secure multi story car park and get your ticket validated at recep...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GregMac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I have stay this hotel only one night not too much thing there and the reception not too friendly the women for I check in with she did not give me information about BF and when I check out she never smile or say Thank you

Stayed March 2014
Ubon Ratchathani Province, Thailand
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel when it was new and it looked like Ubon was on the map.We have been back many times since and it's got worse and worse.I have never swum in a pool where you can"t see anything underwater...with goggles.My wife and I were very sick after swimming there. After my short swim I wanted a steam but fear of catching ebola stopped me even had either the ladies or gents been working.There was a large hole in the ceiling and draping material coming from it. Retreating to the showers..the first cubicle had an old pair of red pants on the floor..the second a shopping bag ..and the third a bottle of something masquerading as a bottle of shampoo. The staff looked miffed and reluctantly gave my steamroom money back.Such a shame..a thourough maintenance and new management and staff and it could fullfil its potential.I can"t give it a star as I've stayed in one star family hotels where everything has been charming

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank pokhara2
pattaya
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

think a lot of the previous negative issues have been addressed. this is my 3rd visit to this hotel over 5 years. it's still the best hotel here. it is clean (number 1 concern for any hotel). well appointed. staff friendly. I think if there are anything to say is that some very small cosmetic works need to be done. but saying that, I think that it's one of those things that creap up on you as an owner that others see, but you can't. (hope that makes sense). anyway highly recommended by me. I will stay again. hope this helps.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here 1st-5th December, which is when they have a montly promotional rate of 1200 baht for a superior room. This was our 5th or 6th stay here in the past few years and things seem to be going downhill. Upon arrival our reservation was initially denied but eventually we were given a room. Saw a lot of new staff faces and they seemed less friendly than the previous ones. The replacement of soaps and shampoos with cheap containers is real tight. For 4 of our 5 night stay, the swimming pool was shut for works. Ok is has to happen periodically but there were no notices around the hotel which is unacceptable. So made the mistake of taking my 3 year old daughter to the water slide park attached to the hotel. Was greeted by totally disinterested staff, sitting around playing games on their phones. Waste of money. I guess the biggest problem here is that the Sunee has no competitor at this price range to push their standards up. What Ubon really needs is a boutique-style hotel in the 2000-5000 baht price range to give the Sunee some much needed competition. Might look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I never thought my review of this hotel would include a possible ghost story but it does. My family spent a few nights here connecting with other family members who lived nearby. As we checked into our twin superior room, we found it dirty and dusty and not clean enough to stay in. Once we complained, we were told there were no other superiors available and were up-sold to a larger, more expensive room. Like we had a choice? Once in the room on the 7th floor we found the air conditioner to be dirty and all 3 of us had allergy issues with the AC, at this point we were tired and just dealt with it. Over the next couple of nights, we experienced something straight out of a ghost hunters episode. Most noticeable was persistent knocking at our door and on the windows. I would get up each time to find no one there and the impossibility of someone outside our window being that it was a 20m drop to any ledge. Also, with the AC off we noticed drastic spikes and drops in temperature that would move around the room as we sat still. Sounds of children playing and footsteps at 3am outside our door to find no one there. Each night we were awakened 4-5 times to unexplainable occurrences and what felt like someone touching us, particularly our 3 year old...only to find no one there. Needless to say, we were exhausted the whole trip. As we checked out, we complained and found the staff knows of these experiences from other guests. A bit of research showed the hotel was actually a hospital before converting to a hotel. I am not an expert on ghosts, but I can say that my experience here will stay with me for the rest of my life. For the price, not worth it my friends. Freaky!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank klb716
Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have stayed here several times and sadly have seen some cost cutting measures such as removing individual cosmetic bottles and replacing them with refillable large bottles. The 'conditioning' shampoo is horrible and left my hair very dry.

The staff insisted there were no superior rooms available so we had to pay the extra for a deluxe, which is generally darker and right next to the smoking room.

Despite my negativity the rooms remain tasteful and represent good value for the inclusions.

The pool gets busy after school hours, but is very quiet of a morning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple