“Dinner at the Ruenthong Restaurant at the LAITHONG HOTEL”
Review of Laithong Hotel

Laithong Hotel
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Ubon Ratchathani
Ubon Ratchathani
“Dinner at the Ruenthong Restaurant at the LAITHONG HOTEL”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Just a warning, if you go to dinner at the Ruenthong Restaurant at the Laithong Hotel in Ubon Ratchathani be warned not to go before 6 p.m. if you are going to eat Western Food. They don't serve it before that time, only Thai food.
The waiters and waitresses do not know what dinner is. I said to them I would like to have dinner, table for 1 and show me where to go, it was pity full , they could not understand me, after a few tries they realised that I wanted food. So I picked my own spot as it was frustrating to talk any further with them.

I was given a menu and than told that Western food is served from 6p.m onwards so I had to wait 30 minutes to order. I than ordered Thai fried rice and a carafe of red wine to kill the time. When I was ready to order I beckoned the waitress over and said I wanted pork chop, well done with vegetables of the day, I named them but in return she said the chop comes with apple sauce. So I quizzed her and she repeatedly said only chop and apple sauce . So in the end I had to call the manager and ask if this was true, said no I could have any vegetables I wanted. So I chose them for myself. Everything looked good on the plate until you put a few chunks of meat and veggies to your mouth, it was sweet, a lot of sugar. As you know Thais put a lot of sugar in their foods. So it was not a good evening.

As I know it apple sauce is more of a saucy texture, but the one I got was apple sliced and place on the pork chop, so I was eating 2 thin pieces of fruit, to be correct.

Room Tip: Before you go out to eat in restaurants that serve Western food, check the times for service. The We...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank RobertDaleJohnG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
Adelaide
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Stayed with friends on a passing trip (flying back to Bangkok from East Thailand). This was a great hotel, spacious and well appointed rooms - 4th floor is a smoking floor - yuk, but couldn't really smell it. Breakfast was ok, not much for westerners though. The night club next door "Ant" is interesting and worth a look. Coffee shop across the road is equally as quaint and worth a "cafe yen" or two. There is an Italian eatery up the road if you need a break from Thai food, and the Pizza and garlic bread was delicious!

Room Tip: This is one of the only hotels with a pool that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but don't get...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NatalieAdelaide
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I just came back from Ubon Ratchathani on this Monday.
I had walked-in booking here it's not bad at all.
The manager and all staffs are nice and friendly.
They were helped me a lot and can spoke English very well.
The room is very clean and there are various breakfast.
You can complaint to Mr. Manager face to face because He is stand by all the time.

Room Tip: The deluxe room is large!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Deathberry77
Ubon Ratchathani
Reviewed 3 May 2012

When I arrived at the hotel I asked the concierge where was my seminar being held at the hotel, and in which room. I showed him my documents and he said there was no seminar of that nature going on in the hotel that day, so I asked him are you sure and than I started to doubt myself by saying I may have gone to the wrong hotel. But checking my documents, it clearly stated the Laithong hotel. So I went back to him and he looked a bit annoyed to say the least as if I did not believe him. I told myself go to the front desk reception and ask l them, they were clueless as well and the concierge decided to join in on the conversation and repeated there was no such seminar.

I decided to walk around the hotel to look for the conference board that every good class hotel has and to my astonishment, there it was listed on the board. I called the employees over to check this out, they looked at each other with such an amazed look that it really turned me off with this hotel. The staff obviously don't know or have no communication with the higher level staff and are really clueless to go and find out about something. I was expecting him to do just that and not follow me around the hotel. The general conference room was freezing cold and I did mention it but no action was taken, and the coffee breaks were so disorganised that I gave up have anything to eat or drink.

The lunch that was organised was good, the food was fresh and tasty. I think personally the hotel is outdated and needs a lot of work. But I think the management needs to run many courses for their employees, so that people who have some kind of business there is in the right place, otherwise you will have people walking out because of incorrect information.

I know I will not go there to stay, dine or for any function because its just possible that I would be told nothing is going on there that I am supposed to be taking part in and walk out. When I walk into a hotel lobby I want to feel the warmth and and meet friendliest employees of the hotel, but I did not get that, it seemed very cold atmosphere to me. A good question "What has happened to that AmazingThai feeling of warmth and friendliness, not there any more.

Room Tip: Like I always do, I check at least 2/3 rooms and than decide which one I want to sleep in. You have...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank RobertDaleJohnG

Travellers are raving about these Ubon Ratchathani hotels

Mellieha, Malta
Reviewed 30 April 2012

To say that this hotel rated 5* is really an overstatement. I would think that a 3* might be more applicable.or even less.

The suite was fine and of a good standard, no problem there, except that the telephones did not work, water was lacking during the first day and breakfasts were geared to Asians, Japanese, Thais and Chinese than to Europeans. Only sausages and eggs for the Euros and Aussies. The cooker in the restaurant was a normal gas cooker with four burners reversed so that the gas bottle was clearly seen.

At the time of our visit, the internet was not working when I wished to use it.

The "pool" was NOT as shown in their brochure and was a complete disappointment and which my wife and I did not use. No loungers, no towels and no pool services were provided .

We had booked for 11, yes eleven nights, but left after 5 nights.

I WOULD NO RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE.

Liked — Nothing
Disliked — See the report
Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LawrieMellieha_Malta
Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The Laithong Hotel is in need of a lot of repair. Has seen better days. Cob webs all over the dining room. Hotel staff not as friendly as in past. Ordered a cheeseburger from kitchen, but, when served, was missing the meat. After complaining, said they were out of meat. They still charged me for the regular price of a cheeseburger. "Wrong Answer". The Laithong Hotel use to have a great reputation. Not a good situation for a questionable 5 star hotel. When I asked to speak to a manager, they said there was not one available, as it was Sunday evening.

Room Tip: I have spent a lot of time staying at the Laithong Hotel in past. I have never been disappointed wi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jon B
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Pros:
Well established, large Thai hotel in downtown Ubon
Well appointed rooms with fridge
Updated decorations in common areas.
Large restaurant with buffet breakfast and lunches that are very good. The noon buffet features local Issan cuisine
Not on bus routes but staff will find whatever type of transportation you desire quickly (Samlor {bicycle cab}. TukTuk , or metered taxi)

Since my wife is from Ubon and still has family there, we travel there often. We have tried all the hotels in Ubon and find that the Laithong is the one we enjoy the most. The staff is large and attentive (although we conduct our business in the Thai language). They do have English speaking staff but sometimes this appears to be a small problem. There are small businesses and restaurants within walking distance along with 2 different hospitals but you will need transportation to see the sights of Ubon and the surrounding areas.

I think that we will continue to use this hotel on all of our subsequent trips to Ubon.

Room Tip: Ask for Junior suite for more room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple