“Totally Relaxing”

Ranked #6 of 18 Nosara B&B and Inns
Earth
“Totally Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Nosara Retreat in March of 2012 and I returned on my own for one of their retreats in November of 2012. First and foremost, I have to compliment the owners for their hospitality and friendliness. Meeting Deborah and Michael feels more like meeting a family member that you have not met before than meeting the owners of an Inn. They went so far beyond the norm to make sure that we were comfortable and to provide a space that you can truly relax in. The workshop that I attended was one of the most profound experiences of my life which was made possible by not only the quality of the speaker but the beautiful setting in which it was received. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Although there is restaurants nearby, I really liked having a kitchen to cook up meals made from the fresh produce that Costa Rica offers. The beach is a very short walk and my written word can not do justice to the beauty and serenity of Playa Pelada. This is not an international hotel/resort company. The owners live on the property and care very much for the retreat and all those that stay there. I highly recommend Nosara Retreat for those who want a comfortable laid back place to stay that is a short walk from the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I participated in a yoga retreat at Nosara B&B Retreat (Rhythms of Joy, a wonderful yoga, dance and singing retreat led by Tiina Kivinen), and I found Deb and Michael (the owners) to be extremely welcoming and supportive of creating a magical experience. The food was amazing, the rooms are lovely, and the close proximity to the magnificent Playa Pelada beach (a couple minutes walk) was highly convenient. I loved the atmosphere of beautiful gardens, and thought it was great that they supported local howler monkeys in getting across the road by creating a crossing for them and helping to maintain their habitat. Be prepared to take a taxi to nearby restaurants, or get groceries from nearby stores before dark so you don't walk home in the dark unless you are with other people (common sense traveling in any foreign country - violence in Costa Rica is very low, but theft must be cautioned against!), and I suggest visiting the nearby Playa Guiones in the daytime via walking along the beach. Taxis to and from Guiones are affordable however, and you can get help getting one from the owners.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

full splendour, beautiful simple rooms, with excellent cleanliness, confort, service and very friendly stuff, a beautiful five mintue walk to the extraordinary PLAYA PELADA, THE BEACH!!

ONE OF MY FAVOURITES IN THIS WONDERFUL EARTH

Room Tip: at this very quite and very special place, I suggest you to pay attention to the wonderful shift fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Nosara Retreat was one of the best choices I made on my trip. I was so glad I booked three nights there. The property is beautiful and well maintained, and the people are so kind, welcoming, and helpful. I liked that the property is close to Playa Pelada but far enough away that it feels like a retreat. I wish I could be there now! I would recommend this spot for travelers looking for a bit of quiet in a really well-designed space (but restaurants are still very walkable). I felt incredibly welcome from the first second, which when you're traveling alone can make all the difference! Sending good wishes to Deborah, Petuca, and all the others.

Room Tip: I only explored the main house, but the other buildings seemed nice too. You might be awoken by howl...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kate G
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This retreat is beautiful and quiet and I am sure some people loved it. However, as a woman traveling alone it was VERY ISOLATED. I was warned that sometimes there are break ins and so was very scared at night when it was only me and one other man on the property.

There is NO FOOD on the property except for breakfast.

To get to restaurants at night you either have to take a taxi or have to walk through the DARK ISOLATED WOODS. It really did not seem safe.

Would NOT recommend if you are a single female traveler with no car and not attending a retreat!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank Nini C
Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

More than the gorgeous property, untamed rainforest and proximity to the beach, Debra with her amazing warmth and hospitality truly made my stay unforgettable. I went to bed to the nighttime sound of crickets and the ocean, and awoke to the sound of monkeys in the trees outside my room. I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Lehighton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I spent 2 days of my vacation at Nosara B&B. Next time I will spend a week. Deborah and her staff are wonderful. They made me feel welcome without being overbearing. I was looking for a place to get away from work and think about what I would like to do next with my life. This retreat was perfect.

The property is beautiful. Many different flowers and unusual plants. Lots of wildlife. Monkeys and iguanas all over. The howler monkeys are great to watch. I saw a few very young ones. I was amazed they were so agile. They tend to call to each other early in the morning and the first time you hear their call you may be a little alarmed. I also had the opportunity to see many birds. The facilities are a little basic but I was not uncomfortable at all.

The beach was close by and I felt like I had it all to myself most of the time. Very relaxing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo