“I Love Kayasol”
Review of KayaSol Surf Hotel

KayaSol Surf Hotel
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Nosara
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Kayasol is a special place. It attracts a wonderful mix of characters, a majority are fit surfer boys chasing the waves to the beautiful beaches a short walk from the hotel. As a single traveler I loved the affordable dorm style rooms, pool, and restaurant which is a hub for not only the hotel but the neighborhood. The women at the front; Judy, Andrea, and Jahida were incredibly sweet and helpful. But really, the whole staff was so friendly to me and helped me with my Spanish skills.

The wi-fi is a little spotty - but come on, you are in paradise... Drop the handheld device and enjoy your moment off the grid.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Elizabeth B

Reviewed 31 March 2013

If you are looking for a low key and beautiful place to surf and explore, the KayaSol Surf Hotel in Nosara Costa Rica is the place for you. The hotel is located approximately 500 yards from a beautiful beach with consistent surf that will satisfy beginners as well as experienced surfers. We stayed in the two bedroom house on the property and had a wonderful week of surfing and exploring. The restaurant on the property is also fantastic. We ate most of our meals, breakfast through dinner at the hotel's restaurant and all meals were excellent. Everything was extremely fresh and made to order. The dinner specials changed several times during the week and offered new and interesting blend of fish, meat and veggie. The menu is also versatile enough to be kid friendly. The restaurant, bar, hotel staff and the hotel owner were extremely friendly and caring and made us feel very welcome. The hotel's surf instructor was also great and did a fantastic job teaching our kids to surf. All in all KayaSol gave us exactly what we were hoping for. I would highly recommend staying at the hotel if you are looking for a picturesque and rustic surf vacation. I would also highly recommend the restaurant at the KayaSol Surf hotel for any and all meals whether you are staying at the hotel or looking for a great place to eat in Nosara.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank howard w
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We just spent 7 nights in the beach house at Kaya Sol. The location (beach was around the corner) and the restaurant were excellent. The beach house was the perfect accommodation for my family. We had 2 bathrooms and two bedrooms. The beds in the bedrooms were very comfortable. There was a futon in the living area but the mattress was very lumpy. The beach house has a full sized kitchen with an island so cooking at home is easy. We chose to eat most of our meals at the Kaya Sol restaurant and were never disappointed. We found the service in the bar/restaurant excellent and found the staff to be very friendly. Emerson, the surfing instructor, taught our boys to surf. The Beach House has no TV or AC so if you are someone who wants a low key, simple, no frills beach vacation, we definitely recommend the Kaya Sol Surf Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I traveled to Kaya Sol by my onesies with a group of other single travelers who were learning to Surf. The staff at Kaya Sol are all very friendly, but they work slow - Island Time. To some it may be a pain, to me it was a nice reminder that I am on vacation and should enjoy it!

The little huts around the pool are ideal to stay in. They are very small with a tiny fridge, some are without, but the sleep quality there is MUCH better than the hostel style rooms at the very end of the resort. Howler Monkeys hang out at the back of the resort and they will wake you up at 5am religiously!

The beach is about a 10 minute walk away and there is a surf shop across from Kaya Sol, so rentals are very convenient. There is a man on the beach who will sell you Pipa (Fresh Coconut Water) for a dollar. Well worth it!

Kaya Sol is steps away from a convenient store, spa's, yoga retreats and a couple restaurants. Nosara is very small and when I was there, the locals would come by to pay to use Kaya Sol's pool. To me, this was nice because I got to meet so many people!

If you don't know much Spanish, you will get along fine here. Luis is a wonderful restaurant manager. Just make sure you don't accept his wedding proposal. ;)

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the pool, you won't be awoken by Howler Monkeys quite so early.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Soul_Surfette
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We really liked staying here because of the location and food. (the restaurant is yummy the beach is super close). However i can't give it a great review because the bed was pretty awful. We really didn't sleep the 3 nights we were here because it was so hard. Not sure if that is true of all the rooms but it was of ours (number 8) Big plus is there really is hot water and the place is extremely well maintained. Most places in costa rica say they do and it isn't true, but they really do which is nice. Having a kitchen was great so we spent less on food.

Room Tip: I like the second floor rooms best, there are only a few of them and we were lucky to grab one.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Sohan K, Owner at KayaSol Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Dear Nancy,

I am happy to hear that you had such a wonderful trip! We think our location is pretty special and having excellent food at the restaurant is a necessity for a great vacation. All of our mattresses are less than 1 month old. We purchased high quality orthopedic beds designed specifically for hotels. The firmness level of the mattress was recommended to us to ensure the most comfortable nights sleep for the weary traveler and support for the avid surfer/yogi. I suppose all body types have different needs and we can't please everyone but we sure can try!

Reviewed 4 March 2013

I was booked at the Kaya Sol but spent very little time in the actual room as a friend in town that owned property made available other suitable accommodations with an offer that I could not refuse. What I know is that the location is excellent and they can do a better job with reception and reliability with the wifi. That said, I did spend most of my evenings at Cocina de Jorge, or George's Kitchen which is the restaurant within the Kaya Sol property so I can speak to that. As a former restaurateur, I have grown particular so when a perfectly cooked surf and turf comes out with beef tenderloin and crunchy jumbo shrimp with a whole baked potato and spiced tomato alongside for $15, you take notice. Or try the Mahi Mahi special, as in special sauce and flavor, or the tuna fish tacos with several 5 " strips of perfectly cooked fresh as can get tuna. But a good restaurant is only as good as the service and the consistency. Cocina de Jorge has both. At the bar or your table (as of this writing), you will be greeted by the lovely Argentinian woman Maria Victoria, or surfer extraordinaire Michael, the experienced and knowledgeable J.C., the curious and affable Emerson and the ever smiling and pleasant Katia.... all with a good command of the English language. I asked to meet the owner and she, Pamela, came out with the whole smiling kitchen staff to shake my hand and make me feel welcome. There is a full bar available and even Coors light beer for those that can't get used to the Imperial brand prevalent over there. Easy listening music is available from time to time and you will be sure to meet some interesting characters at the place ranging from pure surf dudes,writers rediscovering themselves, software developers or top chefs from around the world enjoying some r&r. So, wherever you stay in Nosara, do yourself a favor and try the food at the Kaya Sol and tell em Felipe sent you.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2013

The place isn't bad but it's certainly nothing to rave about. We unfortunately left it a little late and most other accommodations (Iguana, Harmony and several private rentals) were booked up but the website does make it look better than it is in reality.

We stayed in Suite 3 (top floor with air con) and I found it really depressing. Bars all over the windows, nasty dated decor and not a great deal of natural light. We were in Costa Rica by the beach in a lovely town but you wouldn't think it to stay here. It is also a little further than we thought from the beach - the map on the site is a little misleading.

The pool area is nice though and we bumped into the gardener and one of the cleaners a few times and they were lovely smiley people. We're both surfers but we did find quite a few of the American surfers staying around the pool to be very unfriendly. You say hello and you get nothing back - weird. Anyway, I digress...

The most annoying thing was arriving and finding a note in the "suite" saying that theft is common and on the same page stating that cleaners come every 2 days. No other info. Now, we found that odd and we also found it very odd that they state that theft is common yet they don't provide a safe for their guests, meaning the first feeling is of anxiety about where to stash cameras etc!

We did see a few bugs (looked like roaches in the bathroom) and our toilet also overflowed one day - nice! but we didn't mind the ants etc as we're basically staying in the jungle so that's to be expected.

Anyway, it could certainly do with a general renovation job, some internal decor work (not blood red curtains with hardly any light and yellow walls - that's just plain nasty) and a safe in each room.

There appear to be quite a few new places popping up in Nosara so KayaSol will have some new competition unless they make a few changes, either that or just stick to being a backpackers and make it obvious that that's all you really are.

Room Tip: Don't choose suite 3 or Cabina Fria which is basically right on the road and forms part of the o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple