“Loved It!!”
Review of KayaSol Surf Hotel

KayaSol Surf Hotel
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Nosara
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This is the best place I have ever stayed, hands down. I don't know if it was just because there was an incredible group of people there when I was there or if it was the hostel or the combination of the two, but I was so satisfied. Pochote got a little hot even though there were ceiling fans, and the howler monkeys were kind of loud and obnoxious, but sleeping there was very comfortable. I liked that the kitchen was right in the room and we had a private bathroom. I was traveling alone and so having the common space of the kitchen made it a very social atmosphere. The pool was another great feature and social aspect where we hung out with people from the hostel hut and other parts of the hotel. The waterfall is really cool. The restaurant is a little pricey but delicious. And it's only like a two minute walk to the beach. It's a little far from town where everything is happening especially at night, so you have to take a taxi, but I didn't mind that much because it wasn't that expensive and the hotel will call a taxi for you and any bar you go to will call a taxi for you when you want to leave. If we didn't feel like taking a taxi we just hung out around the hostel or at Iguana or some place close. I recommend going to Pacifico Azul for dinner! It's right there! And Playa Pelada isn't too far of a walk either and is a little better for laying out and swimming than the beach right there. In terms of cleanliness....it could have been better. The public toilet was clogged for a long time without anyone fixing it and the shower in Pochote wasn't clean and I heard from people staying in Hostel Hut that their shared shower was gross as well. But overall, it was a great experience and I would definitely return here if I ever go back to Nosara - which is a rare thing for me to say because I never stay in the same place twice as I like to experience different things. But for Kayasol, I would do it without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 April 2013

nice place to stay during your visit. we had a room next to the pool, witch is good, but also a bit noisy. ( there was live music in the restaurant aria and people who came home late were noisy.)
but the place is really nice, the pool is NICE, and cool, and the walk to the beach is 5 min. The restaurant is good, and the quinoa salad my favorite!

Room Tip: all the rooms are okay!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights. It's a nice place close to a great surf beach, Guiones, but we were really disappointed with the communication from the staff working here. Our room was clean & comfortable but we were never informed about the water schedule. Instead we found out after we came back from a sunset surf that there was no water available. It also didn't come back til after we got back from a surf the next morning ie. no water to shower, wash your hands or flush the toilet between 6pm-9am, which is especially unpleasant when you have tummy trouble during the night. We assumed it was a one-off problem but the same thing happened the second night. When I went to talk to the staff & lodge a complaint I was told that the manager was not available cos it was her day off. I ended up sending an email to the manager & received a rapid reply from the owner who apologised for the situation & kindly offered us a refund for one night. Apparently the reception staff are supposed to inform all the guests of the water schedule at check-in. If we had been told at the start, at least we would've been prepared & we would've enjoyed our stay here a lot more. Another example of where some communication from the staff could've made a big difference was when Reception closed early one afternoon locking our room key in the office even though they knew we hadn't returned from the surf yet. It was not a big deal cos we were eventually able to find the security guy who had the key to the office but it could have easily been prevented if the staff had just told us they were closing early when we dropped our key off. All in all, the inability to shower after surfing or flush the toilet after dark left us feeling it was totally not worth $50 a night but thanks to the owner for her prompt response to our complaint.

• Stayed: March 2013
Sohan K, General Manager at KayaSol Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean, comfortable rooms, great location and staff. It sounds like your only complaint was the water crisis we recently experienced in Nosara and the lack of communication about the schedule. As you mentioned I responded immediately and offered you a night’s stay free for your inconvenience. This brought your $50/nt room down to $33/nt! I also took care of the receptionist that checked you in (the same one working on Sunday with the key miscommunication). She is fairly new and very timid with her English speaking skills so tends to be on the shy side. The water crisis (the first in history in Nosara) lasted about 3 weeks and most days we were not told of the water schedule because the association did not know what to do either. We made sure to supply each room with bottled water for drinking and sanitary needs, a large bucket of water outside for the toilets and permission to use the common hostel bathroom for showering needs (which has filtered water from the well). We did everything in our control to keep our guests comfortable during this time!

Reviewed 24 April 2013

This was a great property. Staff was superb, the accomodation was spacious and roomy, ceiling fans in every room. The apartment unit #10 had a dining table with room for 8... lots of room, great set up, location is very close to the beach, grocery store, surf shop and restaurants.. though they had great food and a great open air dining room. The best feature is that it is in the trees and very shaded through the heat of the day. Nice take is catching sunset and cocktails at Olga's, on Playa Pelada. It's about a 10 minute walk to the north end of the beach then a short path through the woods by La Luna (very nice restaurant) and donw onto the Tico beach and Olga's, which is right on the beach in a palm grove.

I have to admit, that at the time we booked, Trip Advisor did not rank this hotel very highly, but it just looked like the best facility for our group of three >50 surfers.. we could each get our own bed, surf shop across the street.. just veryconvenient to all the important things. The owner and his staff was great, food great (and reasonable). Only cautionary note is that not all rooms have AC. Our room did not, but this was not a problem for us, but if you are from the northern latitudes take some time to adjust to the tropical climate, you may want to make sure that your room has AC.

Bottom line is that I loved it and am going back with my wife this time.... can't wait.

Room Tip: # 10 was a spacious 2 bedroom apartment with a bed and futon in LR also. Very spacious, high ceilin...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Kayasol is a special place. It attracts a wonderful mix of characters, a majority are fit surfer boys chasing the waves to the beautiful beaches a short walk from the hotel. As a single traveler I loved the affordable dorm style rooms, pool, and restaurant which is a hub for not only the hotel but the neighborhood. The women at the front; Judy, Andrea, and Jahida were incredibly sweet and helpful. But really, the whole staff was so friendly to me and helped me with my Spanish skills.

The wi-fi is a little spotty - but come on, you are in paradise... Drop the handheld device and enjoy your moment off the grid.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Elizabeth B
Reviewed 31 March 2013

If you are looking for a low key and beautiful place to surf and explore, the KayaSol Surf Hotel in Nosara Costa Rica is the place for you. The hotel is located approximately 500 yards from a beautiful beach with consistent surf that will satisfy beginners as well as experienced surfers. We stayed in the two bedroom house on the property and had a wonderful week of surfing and exploring. The restaurant on the property is also fantastic. We ate most of our meals, breakfast through dinner at the hotel's restaurant and all meals were excellent. Everything was extremely fresh and made to order. The dinner specials changed several times during the week and offered new and interesting blend of fish, meat and veggie. The menu is also versatile enough to be kid friendly. The restaurant, bar, hotel staff and the hotel owner were extremely friendly and caring and made us feel very welcome. The hotel's surf instructor was also great and did a fantastic job teaching our kids to surf. All in all KayaSol gave us exactly what we were hoping for. I would highly recommend staying at the hotel if you are looking for a picturesque and rustic surf vacation. I would also highly recommend the restaurant at the KayaSol Surf hotel for any and all meals whether you are staying at the hotel or looking for a great place to eat in Nosara.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank howard w
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We just spent 7 nights in the beach house at Kaya Sol. The location (beach was around the corner) and the restaurant were excellent. The beach house was the perfect accommodation for my family. We had 2 bathrooms and two bedrooms. The beds in the bedrooms were very comfortable. There was a futon in the living area but the mattress was very lumpy. The beach house has a full sized kitchen with an island so cooking at home is easy. We chose to eat most of our meals at the Kaya Sol restaurant and were never disappointed. We found the service in the bar/restaurant excellent and found the staff to be very friendly. Emerson, the surfing instructor, taught our boys to surf. The Beach House has no TV or AC so if you are someone who wants a low key, simple, no frills beach vacation, we definitely recommend the Kaya Sol Surf Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family