“Bliss Abounds”
Review of Blue Spirit

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Blue Spirit
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in a retreat called In the Light Of Love with Deva Premal, Miten and Manose at Blue Spirit in March. The accommodations exceeded our expectations. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff is very welcoming and friendly. All the meals were included and were vegetarian. Twice that week, fresh fish was brought in for those who wanted more protein. The soups were amazing and all of the food was so fresh and well prepared. Blue Spirit's pool is a salt water infinity pool. The salt water was so good for the skin and even though I normal use moisturizers, none were needed the entire week. We spent every afternoon in the pool to cool off and found it absolutely delightful. We had a room in the main building which had a private bathroom, balcony with mountain view and the room itself was quite spacious. There were no TVs but they had WiFi available and we used it flawlessly every day. Blue Spirit also has eco-lodges, platform tents and other smaller rooms away from the main building. There are many, many steps everywhere from the main building to the pool, beach, other lodgings onsite. Some of the lodgings away from the main building did not have air conditioning. If you have a problem with stairs or need air conditioning (it was 96F every day we were there), you will need to stay in the main building. The people we talked to who stayed in the rooms with no AC said the staff was very good about providing fans to enhance the airflow provided by the ceiling fans. Because Blue Spirit is in a very eco-friendly region, there are a few things that need to be mentioned. To protect the fragile septic system, no toilet paper could be flushed down the toilet. There was a lidded receptacle next to the toilet for the paper which was emptied daily. It turned out not to be a problem at all to comply and there never was an odor. They also asked us to use their eco-friendly, natural shampoo and conditioner provided at no charge instead of our own products. Again, not a problem. All in all, the program and hotel was so blissful, that we can't wait to go back next year!!

Room Tip: The American dollar was taken everywhere we went so we never had to convert our money to CR colones...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank keo6600

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I went to Blue Sprit for a woman’s spiritual retreat. What a lovely place. I fell in love with Blue Spirit the first day. The food is vegetarian and fish. Food is very good healthy and organic. In the morning, meditation, yoga or tai-chi. Later one attends the workshop. The gardens are lush. Hearing and seeing the howler monkeys is special. Also, seeing parrots is amazing. It is a sanctuary for animals and human beings. It embodies community and sacred spiritual space. The infinity pool was a welcome. Spa was good. No gym. The beach is beautiful. Remember to time your swims with the tides. The low tide was magical and safe. The water was warm, venturing in search of tide pools, and walking the beach (3 miles) was breath taking. At high tide, one needs to careful due to strong currents. I was in room 307 beautiful view and air-conditioned. Most rooms do not have A/C, and I strongly recommend A/C. Plenty of activities during downtime. This is a retreat center for the soul. It is an amazing place. I forgot to mention the staff was warm and friendly.

Room Tip: Room 307 is wonderful. Double beds, A/C and view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank CML32766
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Did a week long yoga retreat. It was wonderful. I am new to yoga and joined a group that I new nothing about. We were a big group and had all of our workouts on the top floor of the main building. Big room with amazing views of the ocean. Other groups met in studios without the view. If this is important to you - you need to ask what studio your group will be using - there are three spaces.

Also I stayed in the main building - lovely. Others stayed in places down the hill. There are lots and lots of steps and in the heat - well it makes a trip to your room for the forgotten water bottle a significant decision. Think about that when you pick out your room.

Also we rented a car (with three people it was cheaper than all the shuttle fees). It was an easy drive in the daylight. If you would have to drive in the dark - it could be a bit confusing. The directions posted on the hotel website at one point say to turn on to a dirt road at the apex of the curve. The road is paved for a few miles - that did confuse us! The car also helped to cut excersion fees. The offsite excersion prices do not include transporation. At $5 to $10 a person each way - it made the car even more affordable.

Overall, lovely, lovely place, nice staff, would highly recommend. I should add the food was good - very healthy. If you like sugary sweets - bring your own.

Also the roosters and monkeys are loud in the morning - if you want to sleep you will need earplugs - even with that I woke up. But I actually enjoyed listening to all the sounds and getting up early. This isn't a place for those that want to sleep in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Consultant577
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in one of the Nature Suites and really enjoyed the privacy, the outdoor shower, and the surrounding nature setting. Food at the resort was vegetarian and flavorful. Wish they would sell a recipe book. View from the yoga studio was stunning!!! The massage studios can be a bit noisy during meal time when there are big groups in the dining room. Lots of stairs from many of the accommodations outside the main building so choose your lodging with this in mind if you have issues with mobility. Schedule your massages and other treatments when you arrive for best availability. I will definitely return to Blue Spirit.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JeanPasadenaCA
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I read many of the previous reviews prior to booking my Blue Spirit adventure and am happy to say that it’s all true! Blue Spirit is perfect for those who seek to feed their spirit. The property is so beautiful. It's quiet and well maintained. We stayed in one of the nature cottages, so I can say that these were a welcome surprise - Simple but comfortable. The walk to the beach is only about 5 minutes. We loved watching the howler monkeys as they made their rounds - A true paradise. The morning yoga and Qi Gong classes helped to create a perfect vibe for the rest of the day. The view from the yoga studio was spectacular! The excellent vegetarian food was fresh and seasoned perfectly... and the portions were hearty. Some room for improvement: Without much effort, Blue Spirit could have tweaked their menu to make many of their menu items gluten-free. I needed to access the wi-fi once or twice as my work demands and I discovered that their system was down. I found this stress most unwelcome (and unnecessary). The hotel could not provide assistance in changing large bills for our day of shopping in Guiones - another source of stress that was not necessary considering their other strengths. Most of the staff went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant. Special thanks to the wonderful housekeepers. Probably the best cleaner s I have experienced in all my travels.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank barefoothare
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I had the pleasure of spending a week of yoga & surfing at the Blue Spirit in Costa Rica (week of nov. 23). This hotel is very nice clean & comfortable. The meals (which were all included) were very delicious & plentiful, most meals were vegan with fish 3 times a week. Although I am not a vegetarian EVER, food was so good I never missed having meat. The staff was very efficient, always in a good mood and very professional. The pool is very beautiful, the hotel is on the beach. And in Walking distance to the town Giones where you can shop, eat & site see. I am hoping to return again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room with ocean view in the main building. I found it convenient & quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank LuckyDanDan
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Blue Spirit is an amazing place that feels like a slice of paradise. The grounds, rooms, food (vegan rejoice!) and people create a relaxing, inspired environment that will stay with me for a long time. The staff makes it seem effortless and always has a smile on their faces and can not do enough to help.

The massages were fantastic (Chantal & Kantu) :)

The yoga studio was open air so you get the fresh air, butterflies, bats (oh my) & monkey's singing.

I have never wanted to revisit the same place, however I will definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo